Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ideas to quiet 06 S that sounds like race car

Looking for suggestions. I have an 06 Carrera S Cabriolet that came with AWE headers, cats, and mufflers. It also has a performance air cleaner system with a conical filter in a sealed plastic housing. It sounds awesome on a track day but is too loud leaving the neighborhood @ 6:00 am. I purchased a set of factory mufflers and installed. This changed the sound very little. I want a little performance sound but it sounds like the flying lizards RSR when I get on it going under an overpass. I would rather drive fast and quiet, no need to let the police know you are coming. Is most of the noise coming from the high-flow cats? If so, could they need rebuilding or do I have to go back to OEM? Am I correct in thinking that headers should have very little to do with noise level?

Most guys are trying to get your sound! Might need to go back to OEM stock, but it won't be cheap. Did you just recently buy the car? See if the seller still has the OEM parts. That's why sellers usually keep these OEM parts when doing aftermarket mods. Because the next buyer/owner might not like it.

Be careful with that aftermarket air cleaner.

I bought the car more than a year ago. I asked at the time I purchased and the car was traded in with the performance parts and no OEMs included. I figured stock mufflers would take care of it and finally got around to finding a used set and installing them. That change made almost no difference, I was really suprised.

I know to be extremely careful with not putting too much oil on the filter.

A lot of your sound is coming form that conical air cleaner.. It has a similar effect as the K & N set up.. If you went back to the stock airbox that should tone it down quite a bit. I'm sure you could get one from a dismantler. Or ask around on the forums.. Someone may have one laying around..

Hi, I am very surprised that the factory mufflers did not do the Job, a lot of noise is coming from the air intake, this is why Porsche has a kind of muffler on the intake ( this is where you have written porsche on the silver intake manifold ) so getting back to a normal airbox is what you need ( get it on ebay )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...