Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I found 3 pieces of ferrous metal in my oil filter

This is the first time I examined my oil filter and found 3 small pieces of metallic shavings in my filter. If I had to guess, I would say they are about .003 in. thick X 1/32 in.

Can this be the IMS bearing? Should I be concerned?

My car is MY2003 with 23K. I am the orginal owner.

Thanks!

post-499-0-98380800-1356118165_thumb.jpg

• Moderators
There are a multitude of potential ferrous sources in these engines, but I would pull the sum cover and also check the cam deviation values as well.

I checked the cam deviation values. Both are steady at 0 degrees.

With that being the situation, most likely it is not the IMS bearing. To find the source, you are going to need to do some digging. Have you pulled the sump cover off yet?

There are a multitude of potential ferrous sources in these engines, but I would pull the sum cover and also check the cam deviation values as well.

I checked the cam deviation values. Both are steady at 0 degrees.

With that being the situation, most likely it is not the IMS bearing. To find the source, you are going to need to do some digging. Have you pulled the sump cover off yet?

I just changed the oil today and I was going to drive a few hundred miles, then pull the filter and inspect again.

Next change, add a magnetic drain plug; cheap insurance and a diagnostic tool all in one.

Do you have a recommendation for a magnetic plug?Thanks!

We like the LN Engineering unit; very well made with a strong magnet.

I bought the L&N magnetic plug last month, along with a case of Joe Gibbs DT40 5W40 oil, when Charles was offering his sale after Thanksgiving (25% off!!). The plug will go in sometime in the spring.

• Moderators
Why all the excitement about a magnet? All oil goes through the filter anyway & if you are inspecting the filter you'll find ANY stuff that gets sucked up, not just ferrous stuff from only inspecting the plug.

Simple, one of the largest threats to these engines is an IMS bearing failure, which starts by producing significant amounts of a very granular ferrous debris before the bearing itself actually fails and kills the engine. Because the oil system in these engines routes the oil through the oil pump before it goes to the filter, this granular metal wreaks havoc on the oil pump gears, sometimes even totally jamming the pump and shearing off the oil pump drive, ending any oil circulation in what was up to that time still a viable engine.

Because the LN magnetic drain plug uses a large and very powerful neodymium magnet, it can collect even small amounts of this debris before it gets circulated and alert the person servicing the car that further investigation is required.

Also, the stock filer setup has dedicated bypass, so any metal that does get sucked up, has a decent chance of heading towards the engine ports. Better to capture it with the magnet first. Also, if you change to the spin on adapter, and use a 100% can filter, the bypass is pressure triggered, so until the filter is clogged enough to cause a forced bypass, there is no chance of metal entering the engine. All cheap insurance.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Has the source of these metal particles been determined?

I have the similar ones now myself.  3 or 4 pieces.  Very thin and brittle, and magnetic.  One broke when I was getting it into the baggy.

wrljet did you find out what these were, just oil changed mine and found similar ferrous particles....worried! :(

wrljet did you find out what these were, just oil changed mine and found similar ferrous particles....worried! :(

I pulled the bottom of the sump off and found nothing else similar in there.  Just some bits of plastic, presumeably chain guide rails.

(and some RTV sealant)

I talked to Jake Raby on the phone about it. What he had to say sounded good to me, so I spent money to ship them the car and have it inspected.  He suggested the metal chips might be the iron plating coming off a piston, but couldn't be sure.

They gave me a quote for a bunch of work, more than the car was/is worth.  So I had them just button it back up and ship it back.

I switched to the DT40 oil, per his suggestion.

No more similar metal has been found in the filter since then (it's been 2 years, but I haven't run it too much).

I did find the tiniest spec of aluminum.

The engine taps quite a bit, which I believe is sticky lifters, but nothing has gotten worse.... yet

Bill

This is the first time I examined my oil filter and found 3 small pieces of metallic shavings in my filter. If I had to guess, I would say they are about .003 in. thick X 1/32 in.

Can this be the IMS bearing? Should I be concerned?

My car is MY2003 with 23K. I am the orginal owner.

Thanks!

attachicon.gifmetal from oil filter.JPG

Hi, appreciate it was some time ago now but did you determine the source of this in the end?