Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

If front hood left open, does the cargo light turn off? If so how long

If front hood left open, does the cargo light turn off? If so how long til'?

Reason I asked, it's because I charge my battery once a while with the trickle charger and charges it from the front (main battery connections) and I leave the front hood open while it's charging.

It gets annoying having to unplug the light from the harness every time.Thanks!

Few things come to mind:

1) Don't use a trickle charger, only use a quality (Porsche or C-Tek for example) battery maintainer.

2) Plug the battery maitainer into your cigarette lighter, and close the door on the cord. On some 986/996 Porsche even put a slot under your door for the card to pass. Check it out, and see.

3) When not being driven, have it be plugged in. This will greatly extend the life of your battery.

4) On my 993 Turbo, when I did charge the battery with a Porsche maintainer connected directly to the battery via a quick dis-connect, I'd just manually close the hood latch with my finger, and lower the hood. The light would eventually turn off. You would then be required to manually un-latch the hood lock in the cabin, prior to closing the hood, after you take the car off the maintainer.

I believe that the trunk light is on the same circuit as the interior lights, so when the interior lights go off the trunk light will go off... I have an issue w/ the trunk micro switch since it doesn't turn off the light. It was suggested by one of our members to try some electrical contact cleaner on the micro switch before replacing the $75.00 switch. However most of the time you don't need the trunk light on anyway so I installed a lighted switch which allows me to control the trunk light.

post-85466-0-36996400-1356538363_thumb.j

Why don't you close the hood?

Run the wire from the windshield side under the hood. There are no sharp edges or seals to crush wires between there and the battery. The charger wire will be free to move around some.

I put a two pin "trailer" plug on my battery and maintainer, plug them together and close the hood.

post-30824-0-26454000-1356553359.jpg

Edited by fpb111

The front trunk light goes off in about two hours or so. Below is a copy of the manual regarding the electrical system and battery maintenance. I agree with Loren however, that in two hours the light gets extremely hot. I sometimes pull the light out of the prongs especially if the keys are left in the ignition. The switch looks like a great idea.

55BD090C-D9A3-4E18-8B9A-60E014726CE8-978-00000136C62F6D47.jpg

Edited by kbrandsma