Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Extinguishing Service Now warning?

Garbage knock-off out of China. Not a dependable tool, often gives unreliable results....not to mention that you're hurting a company that the DIY community is lucky to have and should be supporting. If Durametric weren't around, you wouldn't have their product to knock-off.

• Moderators

It is a knock off of an early Durametric system, and one of the reasons Durametric changed their cables to a newer design. Your cable will only run some of the oldest, buggiest, and least capable software, which is also a clone and of unknown quality so it could actually damage your DME.

Silver_TT has a very valid point; buying these things financially undermines one of the only firms supporting the entire Porsche community, no one else is doing the development work Durametric has committed to, and is supporting the DIY market in particular. With a real Durametric system, if you have a question or problem, help is only a phone call or email away, and always free.

• Moderators

Loren is correct, there is a wealth of information about the capabilities of the Durametric system on their website, and as well as an extensive table of specifics on their capabilities for each Porsche model (the system's abilities do vary with both model and year). You also need to note that some functions that used to be universal on both the "enthusiast" and "pro" systems are now limited to the Pro model only, but these differences are slight and most DIY users would probably not use some of these functions anyway as they are more "esoteric" in what they do.

How deep a dive can you make with A Durametric? IIRC you need a windows machine for their SW.....

Durametric can do roughly 85% of what a PIWIS or PST 2 can do. All you need is a windows machine with a USB port. The system requirements are stated on their website:

http://www.durametric.com/systemrequirements.aspx

I have the enthusiast version which was ~ $300. I can't imagine owning my car without it. It's an indispensable tool.

• 2 weeks later...

One of those $249 notebooks perhaps?Hate dual boot partition and/or virtual machines. I'd rather buy a windows portable and chuck it.....

I have no issues whatsoever running W7 under boot camp; you don't even know its there until you use it.

One of those $249 notebooks perhaps?Hate dual boot partition and/or virtual machines. I'd rather buy a windows portable and chuck it.....

I use it (and all my other vehicle diagnostic tools) with a 6 year old Dell Netbook. Works just fine. I imagine you could find a used one for less then $100 if you looked..

• 3 weeks later...

I reset it last night following instruction on other forum.

Ign off

press odo reset (0.0) on dash, keep pressing, turn on ign, no need to start car

"Service reset" on screen

press reset on wiper stalk.

i tried Durametric, they have the service reset option but it didn't work for me.

• Admin

Ign off

i tried Durametric, they have the service reset option but it didn't work for me.

Do you have the latest Durametric software?

6.3.2.5 is the latest I think.

Ign off

Porsche Cayennes use the CAN bus for diagnostics. The CAN bus will go into sleep mode after only a few minutes if the car's engine is not running. To prevent this, you can either start the car's engine (when it's safe to do so) or turn on the hazard lights (emergency flashers) just after turning on the car's ignition. For 2003 - 2004 models, press the brake pedal to wake up the CAN bus.

Also If the instrument cluster does not reset automatically when resetting the service reminder, remove the instrument cluster fuse for ten seconds with the key out before replacing the fuse. If the car has a fault in one of the non-critical systems it can trigger a service now indicator. Check each system for faults. Then try again.