Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche part equivalent?

I am aware that Porsche sources many car parts from other brands: BMW, Audi, and VW to name 3. For instance, the lifters used in my 986 S are apparently the same as found in the BMW parts bin. My question is, does anyone know of a list or resource to find the equivalent part number? For example, the lifters at Porsche are part number 99610504172, so the corresponding BMW # would be .....
Thanks for any info you might have! smile.gif

May I ask what the purpose of knowing this would be? Cost savings?

The valvetronic engines in bmws have valve lift control but it is controlled by an electric motor that changes valve lift by a lever system.

Where as porsche uses oil feed to lock a pin in their 2 stage lifters...

So they are completely different. not to say that there are other models that that would fit / cross reference

I think a parts comparison list like this will be unlikely or extremly hard to find. But if exists I would love to see it as well! :)

I think you will find more similarities in Audi / VW rather than bmw.

Cheers.

Edited by EleCTriCT

in this fantastically detailed post : http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/644150-1-rebuilt-engine-1-month-and-325-pictures-later.html , Logray rebuilds his M96-01 and he mentions using BMW lifters from 4wheelsautoparts.com . These are less expensive than the equivalent porsche oem even though they are identical from the same oem supplier (apparently). I just thought that someone may have used equivalent parts in common repairs and would like to share the info.

:)

• 1 month later...

Lifters in question (for M96 2.5, 2.7 and 3.4 engines, not sure about 3.2's) are less than half price vs.OEM at www.eeuroparts.com last time I looked. Their part# is 11 32 1 748 884.

On recent 2.5 rebuild opted to try and re-use existing lifters. Worked well as I am having no issues with stuck lifter after almost 2k miles since rebuild. Trick is to make sure the nipple underneath compresses easily / freely. This indicates good lifter. Also check for excessive scoring up top and along the sides.

Yes, I see that the lifters are the same for the 3.2 as well. I plan to test all the existing lifters in the warm oil bath before I replace any. I was mostly curious to see if there were other parts which were common to other brands and if perhaps a list could be compiled by enthusiasts who like to tackle some rebuild/upgrade projects and keep the costs in line.

Cheers, J.