Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

This morning I measured my oil level which was at the minimum, then refilled with aprox. 0,75 liter. When I tried to start the car just after It had a hard time to crank. When I got it going, I got White smoke and the engine warning light. Drove the car the 100 meters back to my house .and looked at the coolant which seemed ok, but air seemed trapped in the system - bubbeling sound. Now the car has been sitting for 3 hours and the coolant level has dropped so far that it is not readable and the dip stick and the Electronic indicator for the oil level indicate massive overfill.

Please help :huh:

• Moderators

This morning I measured my oil level which was at the minimum, then refilled with aprox. 0,75 liter. When I tried to start the car just after It had a hard time to crank. When I got it going, I got White smoke and the engine warning light. Drove the car the 100 meters back to my house .and looked at the coolant which seemed ok, but air seemed trapped in the system - bubbeling sound. Now the car has been sitting for 3 hours and the coolant level has dropped so far that it is not readable and the dip stick and the Electronic indicator for the oil level indicate massive overfill.

Please help :huh:

This does not sound good. Most likely, something has failed and allowed coolant to intermix with the oil. Have the car flatbedded to a competent shop for diagnostics; do not drive it or even try to start it.

• Upvote 1

When I stopped the car after 100 m the coolant looked fine, but I guess the coolant went into the oil, because of the bubbeling sound, the massive overfill when I pulled the oil dip stick. On Friday the car is going to Porsche here in Copenhagen and the I get the verdict - I will be really drunk tonight :cursing:

Yesterday I contacted Pomotec in Germany and Autofarm in the UK to heare about getting the engine rebuild if it is really bad.

Happy new year

John

Yep, coolant in cylinder 2. Possible crack in the block. The Car is going to Pomotec this weekend. Lets see what they say :huh:

I am still wondering if it was the aprox 0,75 liter that I topped up with from the low mark on the dip stick that killed the engine.

MLA was very helpfull but by my believes I can get better value by bringing the car to Germany. I hope I am right.

John

Is it a 3.4 or 3.6.?

Hope you are right, about taking the car to germany...but I think you are...

They must know a lot more about these engines, and how to fix them right, than MLA.

I have only nice to say about MLA Copenhagen, but you pay the price;-))

Good luck, and maybe I will see you on the road, here in CPH;-)

Let us know further more about how it goes...

Regards

Stefan

Dk

• 4 weeks later...

Just talked to the GM at Pomotec, hence I have not heard from them since my car arrived i Germany 3 weeks ago. The reason is that they have 36 engines in for an overhaul, so I am not the only one believing in their skills :huh:

John

• 2 weeks later...

A few Pictures from the inside of my engine. You can see the cracked cyllinder linning.

So far so good. I need a bit of advice on what else I should change in a prioritised order, now I am giving the engine a complete overhaul?

regards

John

post-62240-0-58724600-1393060369_thumb.j

post-62240-0-36719500-1393060398_thumb.j

post-62240-0-08845800-1393060444_thumb.j

post-62240-0-64401600-1393060794_thumb.j

• Moderators

A few Pictures from the inside of my engine. You can see the cracked cyllinder linning.

So far so good. I need a bit of advice on what else I should change in a prioritised order, now I am giving the engine a complete overhaul?

regards

John

LN Nickies liners, the LN triple ceramic bearing IMS upgrade (or the IMS solution if it is a single row engine), LN chrome moly oil pump drive, LN spin oil filter adaptor, ARP bolts (cylinder head, rod, and crank carrier), oil pump, water pump, billet tensioner paddles, new tensioners, AOS. I'd also look at replacing the cam followers with later design units that have less tendency to plug up. go through the heads carefully while they are off, replace anything that shows signs of wear (springs, retainers, etc.), fresh valve job.

Waiting for my car to get fixed I just needed to do something and ended up buying this top. Normally I keep everything original on my car but I just really liked the speedster look of this top in combination with a real glass window. (My vinyl window broke and I was chocked by the Price for the installation of a new one)

Comments are welcome

John

post-62240-0-29057800-1393666480.jpg

post-62240-0-10264100-1393666501.jpg

• 2 months later...

My engine went bust dec 30th and now I got my car back from Pomotec in Germany. Flew down early tueday morning and drove the car the 750km back to Denmark. It had a complete owerhaul and support systems like AOS, waterpump, Clutch, IMS etc has been changed. The bill was massive, but they gave me a 2 year warrenty on the engine with out a limit on kilometers driven, which I can extend after the 2 years to a 4 year warrenty for a small amount. The cyllinder block and liners was done by Capricorn in the UK. The coating is Nicasil.

Not to open a oil discussion, but the Pomotec guys are very much in favor of using Motul 300v 15w50 Competition. Their basic advice for a long life is very much i line with what is discussed here and goes like this:

• Use a good oil and check it often and change it every 10.000 km
  • Check your water level often
  • Do not drive the car beyound the rev limit
  • Any warnings lights and you should stop the car at once.

They still have 40 cars at the workshop and one of the mechanics told me that he was going on his first vacation in 4 years this summer.

Bottom line. I am so happy to have my car back, and next week it will get a new top, so it better behave for many years now :drive:

post-62240-0-88984100-1399617940_thumb.j

post-62240-0-40877800-1399617994_thumb.j

post-62240-0-48037700-1399618048_thumb.j

post-62240-0-19042400-1399618129_thumb.j

Happy for you and actually rather envious of your overhauled engine. Many happy kms ahead ...!

As Ernest H. once said:"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end."

• 2 weeks later...