Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can A Competent Local Tire and Alignment Be Trusted?

I have a 2001 C4 Cab and will be replacing the outer tie rods. Dealer wants $240 for alignment. There is a good Porsche Indy that will do it for $125, but they are 40 minutes away, and there are good local tire and alignment shops that will do it for $69. I got feedback on an earlier thread that there is some tricky-ness to it where they have to hook up to OBD to find zeroed out steering angle, but not clear to me if this is standard practice for alignment shop. Can a competent local non-Porshce shop be trusted (don't need track tolerances just a daily driver) or is is too tricky? Are there some threshold questions to ask to determine if they can be trusted? Is it tricky enough that I ought to Drive to the Indy 40 min on possibly whacked alignment? Any input appreciated. thanks,

ps. for the benefit of anyone trying to solve high speed wobbling issues: mine was shaking badly over 80, but got two bent wheels fixed and its smooth as silk now , - was a cheap fix too,

Edited by PorscheServiceThen529Plan

• Moderators

I have a 2001 C4 Cab and will be replacing the outer tie rods. Dealer wants $240 for alignment. There is a good Porsche Indy that will do it for $125, but they are 40 minutes away, and there are good local tire and alignment shops that will do it for $69. I got feedback on an earlier thread that there is some tricky-ness to it where they have to hook up to OBD to find zeroed out steering angle, but not clear to me if this is standard practice for alignment shop. Can a competent local non-Porshce shop be trusted (don't need track tolerances just a daily driver) or is is too tricky? Are there some threshold questions to ask to determine if they can be trusted? Is it tricky enough that I ought to Drive to the Indy 40 min on possibly whacked alignment? Any input appreciated. thanks,

ps. for the benefit of anyone trying to solve high speed wobbling issues: mine was shaking badly over 80, but got two bent wheels fixed and its smooth as silk now , - was a cheap fix too,

Without references from people that have used them, it is a total crap shoot. Some know what they are doing, while others look or sound like it but really do not.

On the same topic, does anyone know if the Porsche PST2 code reader can cancel one code at a time, as opposed to the OBD reader and Durametric program that cancel all the codes at once? To identify which code cancels my faulting water temp gauge I need to know which code it is. None of the codes that are thrown identify the specific code that cancels and restores the water temp gauge.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Post the codes thrown.

Here ya go... if I knew which one of these codes cancels the water temp gauge fault it would be extremely helpful. BTW: the reason I have so many engine faults is that the Porsche engine is gone (LS3 V8 is the replacement) so most of these are N/A, I think. But one or more will cancel the water temp gauge fault. As you can see none of the faults would seem to have anything to do with the water temp, expansion level sensor, or the engine room blower?

Thanks,

post-85466-0-31318800-1399044140_thumb.p

Edited by creekman

• Moderators

Post the codes thrown.

Here ya go... if I knew which one of these codes cancels the water temp gauge fault it would be extremely helpful. BTW: the reason I have so many engine faults is that the Porsche engine is gone (LS3 V8 is the replacement) so most of these are N/A, I think. But one or more will cancel the water temp gauge fault. As you can see none of the faults would seem to have anything to do with the water temp, expansion level sensor, or the engine room blower?

Thanks,

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2014-05-02 10.18.08.png

If most of the codes are moot anyway, why not just clear everything, see if the temp gauge starts working, and what codes resurface.

Post the codes thrown.

Thanks,

If most of the codes are moot anyway, why not just clear everything, see if the temp gauge starts working, and what codes resurface.

That is exactly what happens, I clear the codes, the temp gauge comes back online, until it faults again with the same codes that I had previously erased. There doesn't seem to be anyway to narrow the codes down, it's all or nothing. I've got a call into the lead tech at the San Antonio Porsche dealer to see if their PST2 code reader will cancel one code at a time. I doubt that it will...

Thanks for your reply.

• Moderators

Post the codes thrown.

Thanks,

That is exactly what happens, I clear the codes, the temp gauge comes back online, until it faults again with the same codes that I had previously erased. There doesn't seem to be anyway to narrow the codes down, it's all or nothing. I've got a call into the lead tech at the San Antonio Porsche dealer to see if their PST2 code reader will cancel one code at a time. I doubt that it will...

Thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid you are going to find most system dump them all at one time.

Post the codes thrown.

Thanks,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid you are going to find most system dump them all at one time.

Sadly I'm sure you're right... I'll have to figure something else out to stop the water temp faulting...

Thanks,