Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

CEL violent vibration at low rpms under 3000

Experts, I just drove my MY 01 996 C2 27k miles odometer, from the airport, and it has a violent vibration at low speeds under 20mph and under 3k rpm. I don't have a CEL reader to post the codes

When I was not on the gas the vibration went away, put as soon as gas pressed it came back. Pulling off and under 20 mph it felt like the something drastic was about to happen and the CEL was flashing. Btwn 3-4k rpm it was less violent vibration but still bad. I recently got it back from the shop and but it was only for oil change, and brake flush no engine work. The MAF sensor was already replaced last yr, maybe 4k miles on that.

I searched the other threads and it could point to ignition coil pack.
I drove it about 14 miles and tried to baby it as best I could. The dealer is about 20 miles away mostly highway, what are your thoughts on driving it to the dealer, or should I tow it. One post said u could damage the cats and there really expensive.

Can someone give me guidance if it is ignition coil how big and costly a job that is? I know u don't have much to go on w/out the codes.

Question - should I err on the side of caution?

Thanls in advance for any guidance, and i'll update the outcome

If the CEL is blinking or you feel significant misfires/roughness, I would suggest towing it instead to avoid potential further damages to the engine. The best case is you just need some new coils and/or plugs.

• Moderators

Experts, I just drove my MY 01 996 C2 27k miles odometer, from the airport, and it has a violent vibration at low speeds under 20mph and under 3k rpm. I don't have a CEL reader to post the codes

When I was not on the gas the vibration went away, put as soon as gas pressed it came back. Pulling off and under 20 mph it felt like the something drastic was about to happen and the CEL was flashing. Btwn 3-4k rpm it was less violent vibration but still bad. I recently got it back from the shop and but it was only for oil change, and brake flush no engine work. The MAF sensor was already replaced last yr, maybe 4k miles on that.

I searched the other threads and it could point to ignition coil pack.

I drove it about 14 miles and tried to baby it as best I could. The dealer is about 20 miles away mostly highway, what are your thoughts on driving it to the dealer, or should I tow it. One post said u could damage the cats and there really expensive.

Can someone give me guidance if it is ignition coil how big and costly a job that is? I know u don't have much to go on w/out the codes.

Question - should I err on the side of caution?

Thanls in advance for any guidance, and i'll update the outcome

It does sound like a single cylinder dead miss (often a coil pack), only problem is without the codes you don't know which cylinder and the coil packs are not cheap. Is there an auto parts store nearby (Autozone, etc.) that loans or rents diagnostic tools? Just about any OBD II scanner can pick up cylinder misfire codes............

Coil pack issue will be pronounced if the car has been sitting in inclement weather or if you are driving in the rain. Best get the codes read before you spend you $$$.

Good luck

Johan

• 4 weeks later...

Folks, I just wanted to close this out and update everyone on the fix. I fired it up on the Monday and the CEL stayed on but all of the vibration was gone. I took it my independent dealer and they replaced all 6 ignition wires and plugs.