Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi.

Can someone explain how the shifter functions? 6 forward gears plus reverse using two cables.
The question I am trying to solve is where the 2nd - 3rd hang happens. 2001 C4 <60,000 miles.
I know about motor mounts and cup cables but I want to understand the functionality.

BTW, anybody know anything about the Rennline Tuneable engine mounts?

Thanks in advance.

Langg

What kind of shifter you have?

There's  nothing special about a 2nd->3rd shift. A few things to check:

- Get under the car where the transmission is and make sure the cables are not knocked off from their mounting brackets (very common. Most ppl run zip ties)

- Remove the center console and check the condition/free-play of all the linkages including the threaded adjustment connectors

- Do a shifter alignment with the stock alignment tool. Put the transmission in neutral, disconnect both cables at the threaded adjustment connectors, put the alignment tool onto the shifter, then reattach the two cables.

- Change the transmission fluid with stock fluid if it has > 60k miles on it

Ahsai-

I appreciate your response. Thanks. I have a B&M shifter installed last winter so the stock alignment tool will not fit. My problem developed during the summer with an occasional hang going into third. Now it is fairly regular. I am going to work on it this winter by checking ends and alignment. Probably change engine mounts to SS.

I guess I am going to have to have someone move the shifter while I watch underneath to see what is going on.

Thanks.

Langg

Any feedback on the Rennline Tuneable engine mount?

I'm not familiar with the Rennline tuneable mounts so I hope someone else will chime in. Stock mounts are great especially if yours are worn out.

I don't like short shifters because they put unnecessary stress on the whole shift linkage/cables when you shift. If you are open to a little longer shift but still shorter and more precise than stock, a stock 997 shifter is great.

Yes, just have someone shift while you watch at the transmission end. It sounds like you have some slop somewhere in your shifter system.

If I remember correctly one cable is basically R, 1, 3, 5 (all the up gears) while the other cable is 2, 4, 6 (all the down gears). If the cable brackets get loose, you'll lose the ability to shift into those gears. Get under the car and zip tie them up tight to make sure that's not the issue. If it doesn't help, it might be the synchros in your transmission.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a good idea to check the cable mounts like previously mentioned ,I have seen a lot of them tie-strapped due to retaining clips broken . Also adjustment , if the factory alignment tool will not fit the B&M just align both cables perfectly even . As far as the cable function , ONE cable is for selecting one of the 4 shift gates,(R-) (1-2) (3-4) (5-6), the OTHER cable is for selecting up(R-1-3-5) or back(2-4-6). So when doing the 2-3 shift the function is, cable 2 shifts half way up to neutral, then cable one switches gates from (1-2) to (3-4), then cable 2 shifts the rest of the way up.

Edited by Porschetech3

• 1 month later...

I had a situation occur @ 3 weeks ago when I had pulled out of a parking lot and began accelerating from 2nd into 3rd gear when all of a sudden, I was just hearing the engine rev, depressed the clutch and tried again to shift into 3rd gear which was nothing more than a wet noodle by this time so did a quick shift into second gear and was hitting on all "6" as it should, tried 3rd again but to no avail so I tried 4th and began getting some speed. To make a long story short, I had lost 1st, 3rd and 5th gear and realized that I had lost reverse when I reached my destination and was attempting to park my ride. Took a couple of deep breaths and open the door and used quadriceps to help me move back into a spot which was slightly inclined. Came back out @ 2 hrs later and all was back to normal or as normal as normal could be with me thinking about the myriad of potential causes for this occurrence. I notice now that I have more than the normal amount of play in my shifter (front to back and side to side. I couldn't help but read Je Texas' post cause I was living it for 15 minutes. I'm definitely taking my ride to my indy to see if it's just a matter of the shifter cables being adjusted and not replaced for the shifter side nor transmission side. It hasn't done it since but I may just replace the cable shift link for good measure if my indy advises. We still love our 996's though, don't we ?

• Admin

Hi new to this forum I have a 996 manual but my problem is shifting from 1st to 2nd when it's cold it's ok after running for a while and warmed up

Any comments thanks

Cheers

:welcome: 

It would be helpful if you told us the exact model and year of the car.

Also, when was the transmission fluid changed last? and, did they use Porsche recommended transmission oil?

Any short shifters installed or undercarriage damage?