Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ticking noise in roof

Hi,

I do have ticking, clicking noise in my roof that seems to come from right above my head. When I press firmly on the point shown in the picture the noise stops. Same thing when I do it on the passenger side. I've had the lining off two times now and using the TSB didn't really help since somehow what I find up there doesn't resemble the drawings in the TSB. Or maybe it's my limited imagination. At least I don't have any reenforcement ribs that could touch the roof. (Although the sound is exactly like they were) Almost every part that could cause noises was covered with felt tapes by now but that didn't help either. This is really driving me nuts: I now where to put my hand to make the noise stop but everytime I look at it with the lining off I only find the reenforcement bar that runs from left to right. This thing is really stiff so I can't see how it could possibly cause the ticking. But somehow it does..

I do have a sliding roof as you can see - there is no difference if I have it open or closed. Except for the fact that with all the wind noise it's not that bothering any more :D

Any ideas?

Thorsten (whose efforts to have a almost rattle-free car are driving him crazy)

post-3714-1114596911_thumb.jpg

Edited by toddel68

Hi Thortsen,

Its your roof rattle mate from Australia, between us maybe we can do what Porsche finds impossible. We have both had similar problems, my roof is not too bad now. Try some silicone grease along the edge of the rubber seal that runs along the back of the sunroof when its open.

I am in China now so cant send you a picture but will do a PM when I get back next week, sounds like a similar problem to mine but it only happened when the roof was open.

Glenn

Thorsten, are you sure it's coming from the roof?

I also had such a noise and in the end it was the rear side windows. Maybe you want to try this also. Just press against the window if the sound appears again.

I could not imagine that a glass window in a rubber seal makes tickling noises, but there seems to be even a TSB about this....

Regards

Wolfgang

Thorsten, are you sure it's coming from the roof?

I also had such a noise and in the end it was the rear side windows. Maybe you want to try this also. Just press against the window if the sound appears again.

I could not imagine that a glass window in a rubber seal makes tickling noises, but there seems to be even a TSB about this....

Regards

Wolfgang

Hallo Wolfgang,

yes it's definitely the roof . I already replaced the spacers under the side windows as a precaution a few weeks ago. I must admit I have difficulties too to believe it's the rubberseal. But since Glenn is THE expert on rattles I will give it a try anyway. I suspect it could be the z-shaped Metal springs at the rear edges of the sliding roof running back and forth with it. Any experience on these?

Greetings from Wiesbaden,

Thorsten

• 1 month later...

Well here's some feedback. When I tried to follow Glenn's tip with the silicone grease on the seal I had some problems to find the seal he was talking about. After he sent me a picture I realized that I had lost the seal somewhere down the road. After glueing in a new one according to TSB 6028 (the second one) the general noise level from the roof seems to have lowered, but the ticking noise is still there. I would locate the sound left of the middle of the sun roof opening under the trim piece. (Reversed on the passenger side of course). I could reproduce the noise by tapping quite hard on an area which is about 10-15cm more to the front of the car than my hand on the above picture. The noise is always present when the car starts swinging is a rhythmic pattern on rough roads. On short hard bumps it's not there at all.

The problem Digmiro is describing here on post #11 seems to be just the same. Any further ideas?

Edited by toddel68

• 9 months later...
All,

Any update to this saga?

Not really. Until now I've spent lots of hours in fixing it, pulling the roof lining off about six or seven times. I lubricated here and there and put felt tape almost everywhere. Of course I followed all the TSBs available for that area. Only to find out it's still there. So far I've traced the noise down to the tilt mechanism on the drivers side because the noise is gone immediately when I tilt the roof. Nevertheless I still can't figure out what could causes it. I've touched every single part and all of it seems to be rock solid. Frustration is killing me.

Why do you ask? Do you have the same problem?

Thorsten

Edited by toddel68

I've noticed a similar sound coming from the general area you pointed to in your original post. I've tried everything I can find in numerous posts, as well as suggestions from numerous Porsche-enthused friends. No improvement. I know we're all crazy about our cars, striving for perfection on all levels. I have to say I'm ready to drive my car off a cliff; maybe the rattle will stop then.

Chris

All,

Any update to this saga?

Not really. Until now I've spent lots of hours in fixing it, pulling the roof lining off about six or seven times. I lubricated here and there and put felt tape almost everywhere. Of course I followed all the TSBs available for that area. Only to find out it's still there. So far I've traced the noise down to the tilt mechanism on the drivers side because the noise is gone immediately when I tilt the roof. Nevertheless I still can't figure out what could causes it. I've touched every single part and all of it seems to be rock solid. Frustration is killing me.

Why do you ask? Do you have the same problem?

Thorsten

G'day Thorsten

When the dealer was working on my roof problem he told me that there were some bracing sections which are glued to the underside of roof with an epoxy. I did not see the car while they were working on it so cant describe them but maybe Loren has a diagram of that section. I spoke to the mechanic when they had finally fixed the problem after the 5th roof roof lining removal. He said that the original epoxy that Porsche used became brittle and separated, when the car flexed you would get a rattle or ticking noise.

I could stop the noise by pressing on the roof lining just behind the sunroof on the drivers side, in my case on the right side.

He said they removed the bracing pieces and re epoxyed them. No noise since and that was two years ago. Not sure how they are removed, maybe they were able to apply more epoxy without actually taking them off. They kept the car for a few days after the repair to let the epoxy set.

The other fix I mentioned previously of applying silicone grease to the rear sunroof rubber flap was done at the same time. When I took the car for a short test drive there was still a ticking noise coming from the sunroof, this stopped if it was tilted up. I went back into the workshop, they tilted the roof and covered that rubber flap with quite a lot of grease and the noise stopped.

I hope this helps anyone with this problem, I know what you are going through.

Glenn

G'day Thorsten

When the dealer was working on my roof problem he told me that there were some bracing sections which are glued to the underside of roof with an epoxy. I did not see the car while they were working on it so cant describe them but maybe Loren has a diagram of that section. I spoke to the mechanic when they had finally fixed the problem after the 5th roof roof lining removal. He said that the original epoxy that Porsche used became brittle and separated, when the car flexed you would get a rattle or ticking noise.

I could stop the noise by pressing on the roof lining just behind the sunroof on the drivers side, in my case on the right side.

He said they removed the bracing pieces and re epoxyed them. No noise since and that was two years ago. Not sure how they are removed, maybe they were able to apply more epoxy without actually taking them off. They kept the car for a few days after the repair to let the epoxy set.

The other fix I mentioned previously of applying silicone grease to the rear sunroof rubber flap was done at the same time. When I took the car for a short test drive there was still a ticking noise coming from the sunroof, this stopped if it was tilted up. I went back into the workshop, they tilted the roof and covered that rubber flap with quite a lot of grease and the noise stopped.

I hope this helps anyone with this problem, I know what you are going through.

Glenn

G'day mate,

first of all I have no idea where yesterdays reply went...Maybe the same ghost that lives in my roof made it disappear. :eek:

Well - I had already ruled out the possibility of the rubber flap hitting the roof by covering all over with felt tape. (had to replace it before though since it wasn't there anymore).

The most frustrating thing about it is that I have promised myself not to buy a PSE before the roof rattle is fixed :cursing:

So maybe Loren or Toolpants could give me instructions regarding the location of the epoxy bonding surfaces.

Thorsten

• Admin

I've read throught he complete sunroof removal and installation section in the service manual and there is no mention of any glued pointed. There is however some information in the roof liner replacement section.

Note: Before installing the roof lining 1, carry out a visual inspection of the rear plastic lining 2 to check that the Styrofoam cover 3 and the self-adhesive fabric parts 4 on the locking peg are completely seated.
post-2-1145369268.png

Loren,

I dont think it was the sunroof that the mechanic was refering to, he said there are bracing sections under the roof and these sections are epoxyed. Not having seen it with the lining out I can only go by his description.

My guess is that it would be similar to the bracing sections under the hood shown in the attached photo.

If you look at the second photo you can see there are small rubber or plastic sections sandwiched between the two sheets of metal. I think these are the pieces that are epoxyed. When the epoxy cracks you get the ticking or cracking noise when the body flexes slightly.

If that is the source of the noise I have no idea how he managed to re epoxy them but whatever he did fixed the noise.

post-1098-1145400661_thumb.jpg

post-1098-1145400701_thumb.jpg

Just a quick update. I had the roof lining off (again) and looked at the bracing sections Glenn mentioned. Everything seem to be real solid and I put some more felt tape at the area of the frame that spans the roof lining around the cutout area.

Well - needless to say it was useless. I guess I'll just give up and live with it. Especially since I lately got a new r attle from the rear window area which has already been modified with the foam rubber cord according to TSB6420. Taking the lining off to often will not do any good to all the clamps and plastics, I guess.

I've added a photo off the area shown in my first post up here with the lining off. As I said the roof is quiet as soon as I put my hand on the circled area. Only slight pressure is needed.

Meanwhile I've come to think it must be the tilting mechanism itself which is located right above the bar shown in the pic. This would make sense since only a few millimeter tilt of the roof is neede to silence the **** thing.

Thorsten

post-3714-1146064681_thumb.jpg

Edited by toddel68

Hi Thorsten,

You may want to spray the cracks and crevices in area with a little bit of Wurth HHS2000 lubricant (but make sure it won't stain the lining). I have an '03 coupe (so roof is diff than yours) but had the exact symptoms. I srpayed ALL the sliding/moving, stationery parts plus all the springs with the Wurth lubricant and it cures the problem like a charm. Any parts I could see that make any contacts or they wear, I spray.

The HHS2000 is a clear lubricant like WD40 consistency when sprayed but will stick on the surface when dried and it's water proof. I use it everywhere, hinges, garage doors, etc.

Good luck!

- Ahsai

Stupid question but....

Have you asked someone to drive the car while you sit in the passenger seat with the lining down, and try to pinpoint where the problem is?

Yes I did. But other than the spot I already knew about I couldn't touch anything else that would make the rattle stop. Mainly because the area of the tilt mechanism is hard to reach from inside.

I wasn't in the mood for roof surfing :D

Thorsten

Thorsten,

Does your car always make the ticking sound? Mine seems to be playing with me. Sometimes the sound is there, and sometimes there is no sound. This morning, I was driving to work and thought the sound had disappeared, only to have it return on my way home this evening.

Chris

Thorsten,

Does your car always make the ticking sound? Mine seems to be playing with me. Sometimes the sound is there, and sometimes there is no sound. This morning, I was driving to work and thought the sound had disappeared, only to have it return on my way home this evening.

Chris

Temperature sure is a factor as well as the pattern of the road surface. One hard bump will only cause the new 'birrrr' sound from somewhere around the rear windshield. Small repetitive bumps which have a regular pattern will cause the car to swing and result in the ticking noise from the roof.

tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick

After my last try to repair it it was quiet too during the following testdrive. I must say I was almost relieved when the sound was back the next morning. I wouldn't believe it until it was gone for at least a week.

No cliffs here but I'm ready to sink the car in the harbour.

Thorsten

• 3 months later...

Thorsten

Glenn

Ticking in the roof. I've had this problem too. I could stop the noise by pressing on the roof lining to my right just behind the sunroof. Not wanting to figure out how to take the roof lining off, I tilted the roof up and sprayed some silicone in the offending area. I then figured if I could stop the ticking sound by pressing on the roof liner, why don't I just pull the roof trim towards me at the rear part of the sunroof and maybe pull the offending parts - apart ... just enough. Well it seems to have worked. I'ts been fine for a few days now.

I'm not sure if I had the same thing or a slightly different version. I was getting a slight buzzing noise from the sunroof (when the roof was closed). When I pushed up on the back edge of the sunroof with my finger, the noise would stop. I then wiped the entire back edge of the sunroof opening with silicone on a rag after fully opening the roof. That took care of the noise. That was two years ago, and the noise hasn't come back.