Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can you tell if a 996 is equipped with PSM from the VIN?

I'm looking for some help identifying if a 2002 996 is equipped with PSM or not.  The problem is that the 996 is salvaged and stripped leaving only the components.  I am interested in the main wiring harness.  The seller no longer has the scrapped car so going back to the original car is not possible.  Neither is driving to see the harness in person as this is an internet purchase. 

What I do have is the VIN for the 996 and a picture of the fuse box.  The VIN is WPOCA29932S654036.  According to the fuse box, Row E, positions 9 and 10 are the fuses for PSM.  In non-PSM equipped 996s, these two slots are typically open (without fuses).  In the attached picture, there is a fuse in position 9 (PSM), but not 10 (PSM). 

Before I make the purchase I want to be sure the original car this harness came from has the appropriate wiring for the additional sensors and  pre-charge pump required for a PSM equipped 996.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

2002 Porsche 996 Main wiring harness.png

In some cases manufacturers only populate the connectors with terminals and wire for cars with a specific options. Porsche is or was the exception. My second Porsche (1991 Carrera 964) had wiring and connectors for a rear fog light that isn't or restricted in the USA. I was able to almost plug and play on that modification. My third Porsche (2004 996TT) I'm not sure of having the extra unused wiring. I recall looking at the harness and it looked like a harness from a Boeing Wide Body aircraft. My guess the Twin Turbo which had quite a few options it used most every connectors receivers sockets.

Have them look to see if the fuse female spade terminals are in the fuse block.

Keith

Thanks for all the information. 

JFP - I did check out the website, but I will have to look at it more closely this evening. My gut is telling me there is a greater than 50% chance it did have PSM, but then again, I did have Mexican food last night and my gut readings could be a little off.

Keith -  I'll have them take a picture of the rear side fuze panel so I check the terminals.

Loren - That is what I thought as well.  When I did the conversion 3.4 to 3.6 I did get a 2002 main wiring harness.  After I installed it and started connecting all the connectors, the harness didn't have connectors that went into the pre-charge pump, dash button, steering wheel sensor and rate of turn sensor.  I was able to make and run wires to each of the components to get it to work.  However, I am doing some more work in the cabin where I'll have to take out the dash.  I figured since it would be out, I'll put the proper harness back in.

Worst case, I can buy the harness.  If it's not the correct one, I can resell it on eBay or find another DIY looking for a 2002 996 harness.

Ken

PSM was an option.  I have a 2004 C2 and the PSM is on the option list.  When I was looking for a 2002 or newer 996, PSM was on my options wish list and many of the cars I looked at did not have it.  There might be a special model, like maybe a C4S, that has PSM as standard equipment but it is part of a model upgrade package.

BTW, you list the VIN as WPOCA.... and I am pretty sure that 3rd character is always zero, not  "O".

Thanks rockhouse66.  I agree with you as an option.  In 1999, C4 996s had something called Traction Control, which was the predecessor to PSM.  In 2000,  I believe Porsche officially called it PSM which was an option as you said except for C4 where it was a standard.  I'm trying to get more info from the seller at the moment, or find the previous owner to ask him directly.

Thanks for the '0' correction.

Ken