Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PIWIS II will not diagnose 996 and 986

I have a PIWIS II system running v17.500. It connects and diagnoses to anything later than 2005, eg 997, 987 etc, but it will not allow me to run diagnostics on 996 cars. I can select Porsche 996 under the Diagnostics menu, but when I start to interrogate the car, I get presented with a menu of cars that are all 997 or newer. I tried selecting 997, but the diagnostics fail.

I can still access 996 OBD with my Durametric pro, but I would like to be able to use PIWIS on 996 instead.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to fix that?

Also, is there a way to update maps, program keys for '09 and newer cars outside the dealer network using this?

Edited by SpawnyWhippet

The PIWIS 11 will diagnose the 996  and even further back to the 993, 964,, 928 and 968 if you have proper adapter plug.  I have helped with  quite a few PIWIS II units and all of them cover all models from 90''s forward up thru 2017 models.  

Please post a photo from your screen after you have selected doagnostics an f then , 911 with the various 911 models it is displaying.  That should and confirm that you have 18.1 and the models available to you as a start.  

Edited by Porschelibrarian

I rebooted yet again and this time success. No changes made, no configuration different, same cable and same car. Now I can access 996 through OBD. Maybe some kind of glitch.

I noticed that my software was actually 17.5, not 18.1.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

you probably have a bad Samtech interface,
It is surely an interface FTDI type ALLSCANNER, it emulates the samtech driver to work.

in the periferic manager, either you hsx for the original head or very good copy or com com for the wrong head.

If you want to have the certification open your case, you will see right away if it's a samtech or not,
double pcb - samtech
simple pcb - all vcx scanner bad interface
. use google to see the differences ;-)

sorry for the translation I am French-speaking Belgian.

See you soon

• 2 years later...
  • Admin
20 minutes ago, kenneth_ugalde said:

Sorry for reviving an old post but, where did you buy the PIWIS tester you have that worked with 996?

I have a 08' Cayenne and an 02' Carrera 2 and would like the PIWIS better than a Durametric.

Thanks

You can lease a PIWIS tester from an Porsche dealer (OPC) for $18,000 per year. (no typo -- that is eighteen thousand dollars per year)

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, kenneth_ugalde said:

Sorry for reviving an old post but, where did you buy the PIWIS tester you have that worked with 996?

I have a 08' Cayenne and an 02' Carrera 2 and would like the PIWIS better than a Durametric.

Thanks

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

You don't buy PIWIS systems, they are annual lease only, and start at $20K for the first year.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kenneth_ugalde said:

I'm talking about the PIWIS II tester mentioned above in this post.

Not a new current unit.

We are telling you that there are no legitimate PIWIS systems for sale, old or new.................

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Porschelibrarian said:

Interesting.   looks like Duran ( of durametric) has given uip on current Porsche diagnostics.   

Don’t know about that statement, they keep releasing updates (May of this year) covering the newer Siemens DME’s.

On 7/25/2020 at 3:53 PM, JFP in PA said:

Don’t know about that statement, they keep releasing updates (May of this year) covering the newer Siemens DME’s.

On Durametric  website they dont show support for Porsche models after 2015 but they now diagnose BMW including more recent models.  

• Moderators

Durametric has always run well behind the current model years as they have to obtain the latest models and then spend a considerable amount of time and effort to crack the DME's.  Asking someone to lend you their brand new $150,000 car for a couple of weeks has its limitations.

• 3 weeks later...