Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

23 hours ago, DBJoe996 said:

Only slightly a problem but will require you to drop your oil sump plate.  It should be right there.  Make sure you have the correct sealant to reinstall.

I plan on dropping the pan today, will have to check my Loctite supplies, for use by date. I retired now and have to watch all my chemicals for out of date, used some RTV it wouldn't cure checked the tube year pass the use by date, now read baby. If I don't see it will turn over engine by hand, and pray!

The good news is that you'll only ever do it once.  However, I have also done this, but now many years back. I had taken out the sparking plugs on an engine and then started to take off the rocker cover, held down four Philips head set screws.  I watched, almost in slow motion, as the first screw fell down the plug hole.   A magnet worked for me that time.

Best of luck.  There are some pretty good magnets available on flexible stalks.

It will be there laying on the sump plate when you drop it.  Oil filler tube is just a wide mouth opening to the sump, so the bolt just dropped straight down the hole into the sump.  I have heard that after applying the new sealant and the sump plate is reinstalled, wait 24 hours for the sealant to cure before adding fresh oil.  Also a good time to inspect whatever else is in the sump (chunks of tensioner rails, etc.) and check the oil pickup screen for debris.

Edited by DBJoe996

Since yesterday was Sunday I took my cell phone and shot a fist full of  photos, reviewed them found what I thought was a bolt, then using mirrors and a magnet on a speedo cable was able to fish it out "thanks to the go fish comment" that engine killer.

Thanks all for the help.

Hate to say this old man may ask for help when doing repair on the 911, but sure glad I didn't buy a Boxer, that was one of my concerns when getting my Bucket Car.   

Thanks to all, yesterday before I took the pan off, I took my cell phone and used it as close as possible as a bore scope, reviewed the photos on a video is thought I saw it.

so with a magnet attached to a speedo cable and mirrors I went fishing, caught a  2 oz large head M8 "guess on size".