Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Steering buttons wiper indicators not working

Hi cayenne 04 CTT weirdness the below list of functions was intermittent now nothing works 

buttons on steering wheel 

tiptromic button on steering wheel 

wipers

cruise control 

pin out adjustment 

all functionality on the steering wheel except it steers perfectly all fuses are good errors as attached any ideas was intermittent

IMG_0013.JPG

Edited by Pkcayenne
Picture

• Admin

Whenever I see weird electrical problems on Cayenne - I suggest load testing the battery and checking the battery specific gravity on each cell.

A low or weak battery or poor chassis ground causes all kinds of weird electrical problems on the Cayenne.

Sounds like a CAN communications problem. Check the fault codes stored in the "Gateway" computer.

Do you an aftermarket radio by chance? If it is wired incorrectly it could kill the CAN line. Correcting the wiring will rectify the problem in that case.

Even if it is hooked up correctly the radio may have developed a fault that is taking out the CAN line. Is your aftermarket radio interfaced with the steering wheel controls?

I would do this. First, check the "Gateway" computer for fault codes. Then -- depending on the fault codes -- pull the stereo and disconnect the CAN lines. You don't have to know which exact wires are the CAN lines, just pull all the connections to the stereo. If your radio uses a separate CAN adapter then be sure to disconnect the factory wiring from that also. After doing this, see if the problem is still present.

Are you able to communicate with the "Gateway" controller using Durametrics? It isn't clear to me if your vehicle has the gateway built into the instrument cluster or if it is a separate unit. If you can't communicate with the gateway then I suppose it is safe to assume that the gateway is internal to the instrument cluster on your car. In that case, then what you posted is all the diagnostic info available.

I have no idea what the Kenwood CAN interface might look like. Can you find some part number on it that you could google?

I'll briefly try to explain the topology of the CAN system on the Cayenne. There are three separate CAN networks: Drive, Comfort, and Infotainment. Each network uses a twisted pair of wires to allow communication between all computers on that respective network. Any fault in the wiring can bring down the whole network (limited communication is available in a single-wire "emergency" mode). This should make it obvious why powertrain controllers are on a different network then things like power seats, etc. The networks can exchange messages between other networks through the gateway.

469 is telling as it suggests that you have a wiring problem on the CAN Infotainment network. The Infotainment network includes PCM 2.1, wipers (?), and compass. This explains your wipers and radio controls not working. It also explains error code 459. I don't understand how it could trigger the first three fault codes as these are related to the Comfort CAN network but then again it's not unusual for faults to trigger "limp" algorithms with rather unexpected behavior. Anyways, I thought pulling the aftermarket radio CAN interface was an obvious first thing to check as it's one of the few modules using the Infotainment CAN network and you are clearly indicating a wiring fault on this network.