Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Open/Close garage door with hight beam stalk

Tired of the having your ugly garage door opener clipped to your sun visor or don't want to do the garage door hack, try this product: F2P Electronics . I have no affiliation with the company. It's simple to install the sender/receiver. The sender connects to the passenger side headlight brown and white wires using suppled wire taps. I mounted mine in the front trunk under the liner; instructions say to mount it underneath the headlight assembly, lots more work and not necessary since it works fine inside the trunk, plus one does not need to add extra wire nor thread the wires through the rubber grommet in the fender. The receiver connects to your existing module on your garage wall or completely replaces it. Now a couple of taps on the stalk and my garage door opens/closes. Works great.

Edited by cease

OR, you could had just solder 2 wires to your remote to a new switch in your car for less then 2 bucks

...and just leave it laying on your seat? OR would you also take apart the dash, run some wire to the controller, hide the controller in a place that is easy to get to so you can replace the battery, and hopefully your garage door controller won't get stolen...kinda makes for easy entry into your house. It's a little harder to steal the car.

You can also retread your tires to save money, but you wouldn't, or would YOU?

Edited by cease

• 3 years later...

cease,

I did the Flash 2 Pass installation as well. With the install of the garage opener button and under the hood install of the transmitter it probably took me a total of 45 minutes. Time very well spent, and my kudos to those who developed the unit. Just two crimp connectors onto existing wires, no soldering, just wire tied it to a support behind the battery and voila, no more finding the garage door opener on the floor or beside the seat. I get about 100 feet of transmitting for door to open but YMMV.

Joe

• 4 months later...
OR, you could had just solder 2 wires to your remote to a new switch in your car for less then 2 bucks

...and just leave it laying on your seat? OR would you also take apart the dash, run some wire to the controller, hide the controller in a place that is easy to get to so you can replace the battery, and hopefully your garage door controller won't get stolen...kinda makes for easy entry into your house. It's a little harder to steal the car.

You can also retread your tires to save money, but you wouldn't, or would YOU?

You can always clear the memory on your garage door opener if your car or remote gets stolen. Really no different than leaving the remote in the glovebox or wherever.

I saw a post some time ago about someone who used Flash2Pass wiring with their own transmitter. Not sure the benefit except you use you own receiver.

The Targa top switch is DPDT so you can install two transmitters. It is an easy install and I tapped the always hot lead behind the center stack so batteries are not an issue as long as you have 12 VDC transmitter like my Lift Masters.

I checked in out on line and it seems like a great concept. Somehow, $80 seems like a bit much for it, but that depends on how badly you need it. I went through a bit of trouble finding a transmitter that would fit inside my ask tray but it works. If this was available at the time, I may have bought it instead.

One concern: I have heard that flashing HID lights will reduce their lifespan. If this is true, this device may not be such a good idea for stock or conversion HID equipped cars. Can always be connected to some other lights such as parking that would require manually flipping the lights on and off.

I checked in out on line and it seems like a great concept. Somehow, $80 seems like a bit much for it, but that depends on how badly you need it. I went through a bit of trouble finding a transmitter that would fit inside my ask tray but it works. If this was available at the time, I may have bought it instead.

One concern: I have heard that flashing HID lights will reduce their lifespan. If this is true, this device may not be such a good idea for stock or conversion HID equipped cars. Can always be connected to some other lights such as parking that would require manually flipping the lights on and off.

Please note, for anyone looking for a unit that will fit inside the ashtray/handbrake area, the small genie controllers fit quit well and you can get them with one two or three activator buttons.

This is what I did:

l_729aff119c58c630a457a1013a1478f7.jpg

Then I wired the opener next to drivers side sun shade. It took less than an hour an switch was around $25 from Sunset. :D

Could you describe the wiring route and what was mounted on the sunshade?

The switch is a great addition and uses up at least one of those blank switch spots on the dashboard.

Thanks.