Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996TT Flash

• Moderators

We have seen a few, and while the turbo cars seem to get the most out of reprogramming in dyno testing, a couple of observations:

1. Some reflashes cause connectivity issues with some systems in the cars when trying to do OBD port diagnostics.
  2. We have seen multiple cases of cars that would not go through IM Readiness tests required in many states for emission inspections.
  3. Both of the above observed problems disappeared when the cars were re-flashed back to factory.
  4. Multiple owners have commented that they really didn't see all that much "seat of the pants" improvements when compared to the dyno numbers.

My 996TT came flashed with Revo and it's complete garbage.  Long story short the car wouldn't pass emissions in the tough state I live in (it's outsourced to a 3rd party and they do a checksum on the flashROM and if doesn't match stock you fail) and when i took it off I noticed no difference in performance.  The car is a monster with no flash.

Also screw Revo and the horse they rode in on.  It came with a device that is supposed to flash back and forth to stock but it didn't work.  Revo support wouldn't give me the Porsche OE flash file and demanded that I take the car to one of their "authorized" centers two hours away from the major city I live in.  Please, I have a degree in computer science, this is laughable.  Ok fine, I understand though, you have to control things so I was still good.  BUT when I got there it was some small car repair shop with an 18 year old that I had to show how to use the software and pay 1-2 hours labor to help him flash my own car back to stock.  And Revo is in Europe so it was annoying timezone etc because the kid had to call them to get some information.

Edited by Silver_TT

My Revo tune came with this to switch back and forth between tuned and stock like Loren is saying -- but it didn't work:

Also I don't understand why but I live 3 minutes from a Porsche dealer who back then was super friendly (since then was bought by a larger national dealership network and they now suck).  I tried having them flash the computer back to stock but for some reason only Revo was able to do it.  This is why I was so annoyed they made me drive 2 hours to their authorized location, then I did all the work talking to the support people in Europe to show the tech how to do it.

Cobb is probably much better just based on what I have read.  I liked this car stock but if you want to tune it just be sure to do some research and get a good tune as their are a lot of crap ones out there.  Also test it on a dyno if you can.  When I bought my 996TT the owner claimed something ridiculous like it made the car 600 HP.  I knew this was B.S. but wanted the car anyway, the tune just came with it.  Anyway, after I took the tune off and was driving home on the highway I could tell no difference.  I kept thinking maybe they didn't put down the right flash file but I drove straight to the emissions center where I immediately passed (since enough time had gone by driving to set my readiness states)

Edited by Silver_TT

• Moderators

A lot of aftermarket reflashes don't really do much to the engine's output HP and torque at lower RPM ranges, everything seems to happen 4,500 RPM and up (look at their published dyno curves).  So, if you are blasting down the Mulsanne straight at Le Mans, it would matter; but driving down to the corner to pick up a pizza, not so much.........

I was looking for a little extra for this year's Rennsport Dragon Rally.  I think the extra power will make-up jn the straights what I lose in the curves to all the guys with all the electronic assists and blind mountain curve driving experience

img_3388.jpg

Edited by Porschelibrarian

• 1 month later...

My 996TT came with upgraded diverter vales. I put on the EPL stage 1 flash for K16, 91 octane and 6 speed. For sure made the top end wake up. I think it was a worthwhile upgrade.

Edited by 987_RDC