Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

broken a/c vent

I'm sure I've seen the answer before but, my searches aren't revealing my answer

One of the center air vents on the dash of my 987 S is disfunctional ... fished the pieces out but, can't figure out how to remove vent to replace / fix !! Can anyone help ???

jwolfe Welcome to the club! My 987S had three out of four break in the first month. I did a search and found 8 or 9 guys on the UK sites had the same problems with the 987 air vents.

In my case the porsche tech had to pull the entire stereo unit out of the dash to get the center vents out through the bottom. A 2 hour job for him so unless you're bored or masochistic take it in. The replacement parts seem to be OK. 5 months and they haven't fallen off.

Brad

jwolfe  Welcome to the club!  My 987S had three out of four break in the first month.  I did a search and found 8 or 9 guys on the UK sites had the same problems with the 987 air vents.

In my case the porsche tech had to pull the entire stereo unit out of the dash to get the center vents out through the bottom.  A 2 hour job for him so unless you're bored or masochistic take it in.  The replacement parts seem to be OK.  5 months and they haven't fallen off.

Brad

Can somebody please post a picture of the party which in fact is broken?

Thx

Oli

Oli

I don't have pictures but can describe as best I can. In the middle of each air vent is the verical slider which adjusts the horizontal louvers up and down. On the back is a plastic clip with two fingers about 1.5 cm long which engages the louvers. This clip falls off the back of the slider and into the vent. If you fish it out there's no way to snap it back in to the slider. They don't seem to have been securely attached in the first place. As I said I came across a lot of guys in the U.K. that had this problem when I first searched the net 5 months ago.

Brad

• 1 month later...
jwolfe  Welcome to the club!  My 987S had three out of four break in the first month.  I did a search and found 8 or 9 guys on the UK sites had the same problems with the 987 air vents.

In my case the porsche tech had to pull the entire stereo unit out of the dash to get the center vents out through the bottom.  A 2 hour job for him so unless you're bored or masochistic take it in.  The replacement parts seem to be OK.  5 months and they haven't fallen off.

Brad

Thx

Oli

Hi Oli,

I've just joined. I have the same problem and have attached the offending part (well, this was the offending part in my case!)

Regards

Stu

post-7626-1131029969_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Brad

Thx

Oli

Hi Oli,

I've just joined. I have the same problem and have attached the offending part (well, this was the offending part in my case!)

Regards

Stu

I just bought a 2005 Boxster with 1700 miles on it and I have the same problem. :( Is there an easier way to get to the side vents? One of my center ones is still ok.

• 6 months later...

Hi, did anybody find an easy to put these sliders back in place?

I cleant mine today with a fine, long-haired brush and suddenly 2 of them just fell off.... I couldn't believe it and tried to figure out how they are attached. I moved one of the remaining ones to check how it works and voila, the 3rd one was broken....

It seems that if you move the slider to an extreme position (left or right) it just pops out :cursing:

The car is under warranty, so no problem to get this fixed... but are the new ones better? Did they change the design?

Wolfgang

Hi, did anybody find an easy to put these sliders back in place?

I cleant mine today with a fine, long-haired brush and suddenly 2 of them just fell off.... I couldn't believe it and tried to figure out how they are attached. I moved one of the remaining ones to check how it works and voila, the 3rd one was broken....

It seems that if you move the slider to an extreme position (left or right) it just pops out :cursing:

The car is under warranty, so no problem to get this fixed... but are the new ones better? Did they change the design?

Wolfgang

Yes the design was changed. Mine broke 1 month in. Dealer replaced....

• 3 months later...

Had one of mine pop out yesterday and I was able to reinstall it. I found it easier to glue the little metal spring back onto the black 'fang' piece first. The black 'fang' piece has the fangs not centered, I placed the piece so the fangs are towards the top. Once that is dry, I centered the vent and place the 'fang' piece onto the center horizontal louver, moved the vertical louvers a little bit and with the aid of a small screw drive walked the fang piece into the back of the vent control. I then used a piece of clothes hanger wire that I place a "U" shape bend in the end of it, to push the 'fang' piece back into the vent control from behind.

I can confirm they can be refitted. I used a small size allen key as they are more rigid than wire and a pair of long nose plyers to initially place the fangs either side of the vent fin. As you say in your post its a fiddly but simple matter of moving the centre paddle to the extremity and pulling the fang back into its position. I also noted that the left and right hand vents are easier to refit with the fins directed towards the side windows as there seems to be more room. You may also note the fang is offset , the offset should be towards the top facing upwards. I didn't fancy having the leather trimmed dash removed for a simple vent and then the grief of creaks and rattles forever more. It may note be a permanent fix (special glue is required for this type of plastic -superglue wont work as its an oil based plastic) but I'd prefer to fix as I go than have the dash apart.

I too have faced this problem. I purchased my 05 Boxster and the dealer in CA told me about the vent issue after I already flew coast-to-coast to see the car. :cursing:

My friend is the lead technician at our local Porsche dealership and he has informed me that the dash is not required to be disassembled. That was my fear as well, and I was willing to live with it if the local techs were numbnuts like every other tech in this town. Thankfully, there's some of the best in the city. :clapping:

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...