Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 2000 Porsche 911 cab 6 speed.. Are there any proven performance packages out there that will get me at least 350 horse? My brother has a fixed up F250 Diesel and he runs right next to me he only put about 1000 dollars into the car just exhaust and boosted turbos... Granted i can take curves ect but i want a little more power. I saw some superchargers for about 10,000 dollars but will the engine hold up? My car has abourt 32,000 miles. Also i would like to spend about $3000 or less if possible. And it is a daily driver.

I doubt you can get 50+ hp from intake, chip flash, exhaust alone. These mods will probly fit under your budget. Most of the mods do not actually add much HP despite of the claims made by tuners. I'd keep it stock or go with a SC. You may also consider mods like a short shifter kit which makes the car drive nicer but don't add power. For a daily driver, I would keep it stock unless you are unhappy with the performance and willing to deal with less reliability.

Nothing for 3 grand...

What are you're options?

Well over 3k option

SC for 10K

Porsche's Power kit (forget the price, I think roughly 8k)

More than 3k alternative

Intake, Header, Exhaust, ECU...won't get you 350 but you'll have spent $$$ like it should have. Less unsprung weight in wallet will equal faster car.

3k Alternative

Lightweight flywheel...won't improve HP but it will improve acceleration (maybe it will feel like 350)

Downside is that introduces more noise and labor is equal to doing a clutch job.

Edited by Gator996
  • Upvote 1

Do these cars hold up ok with NOS? Im not looking for a street Rod but i dont like to get beat either. Im happy with the car and it serves it purpose every single man should own one hehe .. It would be nice if it had a little more power though. Does the engine hold up ok with the Supercharger?

You could probably achieve around 30hp max increase in HP by dumping your mufflers and throwing on some Fabspeed bypass pipes (Or get some made up - quite easy to do) in conjunction with an ECU flash/upgrade and maybe a modified intake (ala Fabspeeed etc).

By removing your mufflers you will definitely achieve more HP right up near the top of your Torque/HP curves but the tradeoff is much more noise :D and some loss in low end torque. If your neighbours are ok with it an added bonus of removing the mufflers is that your net unsprung weight is reduced a fair amount as well.

At the end of the day a 996 (esp a cab) is not a drag car but a race car :jump:

• 1 year later...

110 Octane is leaded only so say good bye to your cats, a mix of 104 unleaded racing fuel with pump gas 50/50 to 30/70 will get you good HP numbers. If you are set on running 110 you will need to map your car for ROW DME (it does not look for an after cat 02 sensor and buy some cat bypass pipes.

What about using racing fuel say 110 Octane. ??

Nothing for 3 grand...

What are you're options?

Well over 3k option

SC for 10K

Porsche's Power kit (forget the price, I think roughly 8k)

More than 3k alternative

Intake, Header, Exhaust, ECU...won't get you 350 but you'll have spent $$$ like it should have. Less unsprung weight in wallet will equal faster car.

3k Alternative

Lightweight flywheel...won't improve HP but it will improve acceleration (maybe it will feel like 350)

Downside is that introduces more noise and labor is equal to doing a clutch job.

Brand new to this site... although I'm not trying to outrun a F250 diesel, I too would like more power for my totally stock 99C2 Cab. I've been looking at headers and exhaust as well as intake improvements. I've been surprised at the wide range of prices. For example, are the B&B design/material differences really worth that much compared to some of the other lower cost options? I haven't seen much written on realistic expectations from intake changes. Final question: someone in this string mentioned reliability trade-offs. I would not anticipate simple exhaust and intake changes to affect reliability... am I wrong?

If you want more power from a stock 996 C2, you should consider Exhaust and intake, other than that sell your car and get a turbo or GT2- GT3.

Forget aftermarket trash for the 996 Carrera. You'll only waste fortunes getting very little power for a lot of outlay and make the car impossible to sell - Porsche buyers seem to be particularly anal about original spec. etc. In reality there is nowhere to go with this engine apart from supercharging which is very expensive. Intake kits simply don't work. Mufflers give 2-3 BHP at best - the rest is lies. Headers, 200-Cell cats and mufflers with a re-map will give you 15 BHP absolute max. Porsche's own power kit requires gas-flowed heads, headers and intake plenums plus much more aggressive cams and mapping just for 25 more BHP. Even then the performance of the cars when measured is almost no different - go figure! Every reputable tuner will tell you there is no real extra power to be had from the M96 engine.

One thing it does like however is very high octane gas. Put 99-100 RON in the tank and reset your DME. You'll be surprised.

By far the better route would be to sell the car and put the hard-earned towards a Turbo. Even stock, a Turbo has way more performance than you could ever realisitcally and reliably achieve from tweaking a Carrera. And of course, the Turbo CAN be tweaked enormously for modest outlay by virtue of being able to increase the boost pressure.

Ian W

• Upvote 1

Ian talks the talk: I walk the walk-we both agree that HP improvements is expecting the wind to pick up the sails...all smoke and mirrors. Save the dough, blow the ride for a better one! Don't be a schmuck like a lot of guys do on that "other" site. How the hell does some bumf==k in bumf==k idonknowwhereville sit back a say he can beat the factory at their own game. Same thing said for all that additive crap we see on the idiotbox that does wonders(****) for the longevitiy and performance. If this garbage was so spectacular the OEM's would be using it, or buying the guy out!. SOOO SICK of the bull**** artists out there. Todays Porsche engine cannot see any appreciating performance gains from bolt on ****, period. Unfortunately, it's what I do too!-M

BTW- a product called Ventil Sauber does help clean the intake/fuel stream, as well as the valves. I say this to validate that I do suggest some things-

If you want more power from a stock 996 C2, you should consider Exhaust and intake, other than that sell your car and get a turbo or GT2- GT3.

Forget aftermarket trash for the 996 Carrera. You'll only waste fortunes getting very little power for a lot of outlay and make the car impossible to sell - Porsche buyers seem to be particularly anal about original spec. etc. In reality there is nowhere to go with this engine apart from supercharging which is very expensive. Intake kits simply don't work. Mufflers give 2-3 BHP at best - the rest is lies. Headers, 200-Cell cats and mufflers with a re-map will give you 15 BHP absolute max. Porsche's own power kit requires gas-flowed heads, headers and intake plenums plus much more aggressive cams and mapping just for 25 more BHP. Even then the performance of the cars when measured is almost no different - go figure! Every reputable tuner will tell you there is no real extra power to be had from the M96 engine.

One thing it does like however is very high octane gas. Put 99-100 RON in the tank and reset your DME. You'll be surprised.

By far the better route would be to sell the car and put the hard-earned towards a Turbo. Even stock, a Turbo has way more performance than you could ever realisitcally and reliably achieve from tweaking a Carrera. And of course, the Turbo CAN be tweaked enormously for modest outlay by virtue of being able to increase the boost pressure.

Ian W

OK... it appears that the bottom line is aftermarket headers, mufflers and intake changes produce little, if any HP improvement. And, any additional fun that would produce will be dashed when I attempt to sell and the snobs who want completely stock devalue the car because of modifications... you guys are a lot of fun!!! So, best move is to sell now and save my change for a while till I can afford a turbo!

• 4 months later...

I have a cousin with a new Mustang GT, to which he just added a cold-air intake kit and a chip tuner. The air intake kit included a different MAF and housing as well. The chip tuner is a revised ECU chip, and a handheld device that plugs into the OBD-II plug. You modify the chip's programs via the handheld. The handheld device has a USB port that connects to a laptop and can provide all kinds of engine data.

He did this whole thing for under $500, and a dyno test showed he has an extra 30 at the rear wheels, with at least 10-15 throughout the entire range, not just at 6 grand. Chip raises the rev limiter from 6200 to 6750, so that's where some of that power lies. It has a more aggressive sound, and a slight seat-of-the-pants power bump.

A Porsche is similar to a Mustang in that it too uses a gasoline-powered combustion engine with largely the same fundamental design of fuel, spark, sensors, and controls. So why wouldn't an intake kit and a tuned chip give you the same results?

It probably will, and maybe that slight bump is worth $500-700. But if you want more than 20-30 hp, you'll have to go further. And if you appreciate the Porsche design philosophy, then you'll also want the rest of the car designed for it - from stronger major engine and transmission components, to bigger brakes, to stronger bushings and bearings all around, all the way up to heavier-duty bolts for your flux capacitor. All of that adds up to a balanced car with higher total performance and the same durability. It's so extensive and in done in so many areas of the car that you'll be better off upgrading to a different model if you want a serious HP boost. Plus, turbo engines are much cheaper to get an extra 50 hp out of! :)

I have a cousin with a new Mustang GT, to which he just added a cold-air intake kit and a chip tuner. The air intake kit included a different MAF and housing as well. The chip tuner is a revised ECU chip, and a handheld device that plugs into the OBD-II plug. You modify the chip's programs via the handheld. The handheld device has a USB port that connects to a laptop and can provide all kinds of engine data.

He did this whole thing for under $500, and a dyno test showed he has an extra 30 at the rear wheels, with at least 10-15 throughout the entire range, not just at 6 grand. Chip raises the rev limiter from 6200 to 6750, so that's where some of that power lies. It has a more aggressive sound, and a slight seat-of-the-pants power bump.

A Porsche is similar to a Mustang in that it too uses a gasoline-powered combustion engine with largely the same fundamental design of fuel, spark, sensors, and controls. So why wouldn't an intake kit and a tuned chip give you the same results?

It probably will, and maybe that slight bump is worth $500-700. But if you want more than 20-30 hp, you'll have to go further. And if you appreciate the Porsche design philosophy, then you'll also want the rest of the car designed for it - from stronger major engine and transmission components, to bigger brakes, to stronger bushings and bearings all around, all the way up to heavier-duty bolts for your flux capacitor. All of that adds up to a balanced car with higher total performance and the same durability. It's so extensive and in done in so many areas of the car that you'll be better off upgrading to a different model if you want a serious HP boost. Plus, turbo engines are much cheaper to get an extra 50 hp out of! :)

I certainly agree with your conclusion. As others have indicated, the most viable alternative is to sell the car and acquire a 996 turbo (which its prices are attracive these days). It has a true dry-sump lubrication system and, like GT 2 and 3, is based on the evolution of 964-993 engine.

However, I find it difficult to accept the premise that Ford and Porsche engines are similar. In my view (even though I am not an expert), they are not comparable. Yes, both are internal-combustion engines and both are, in essence, air-pumps. But that's where the similarity ends. The following should elucidate my point:

The Ford modular engine in Mustang is 4.6 liter (3 valve configuration, if I remember correctly) with a CR of 9.8 producing 300 HP which gives a specific output of only 65 HP/L. In contrast, the 996 engine is 3.6 L in capacity (4-valve /cylinder). With a CR of 11.3, it yields a greater power, i.e., 320 HP with a specific output of 89 HP/L even though it is smaller by 22%. Now you may argue that Ford engine's torque is higher; that's really immaterial because 996's acceleration times, based on published data, are quicker. The implication is that Porsche engine is a high-tech powerplant, and as a consequence, it would be difficult to obtain a substastial additional HP from this engine because the factory has already extracted, within certain parametres, the near maximal power. Can we get more HP from this engine ? Of couse we can. The prime example is the expensive factory Power Kit raising the peak HP to 345. But I don't believe that you could get an extra USABLE 50 HP without an extensive internal modification. This constraint is not applicable to the Ford engine which is relatively low-tech.

If you guys wanted so much horsepower, why did you even buy a Porsche? You could have all the power and torque you want by going another route. It's called the Chevrolet Corvette. It's a steal if that's all you care about.

Remember, Porsche has ridiculously evolved and designed little engines. It's about a bit more than pure raw power. It's the way the power integrates with the car. Look at all those ridiculous supercars that get wrecked all the time to understand why more power does not always correlate with going faster (unless you mean going out of control faster). Take a bunch of track days and you'll appreciate your car heaps more than a modest bump in HP is going to offer you. But, I can't fault you for wanting a new exhaust; I ride Ruf and the note makes driving a more pleasurable experience, but I can't say that it's a noticeable increase in anything with the exception of my credit card balance when I bought it.

• 8 years later...

Gents

C2 3.4

1. I raised the 02 sensor after the Cats, 
  2. Put a GT3 Throttle body on
  3. Fab speed induction
  4. De Cat pipes
  5. Race exhaust headers
  6. High flow light weight exhaust 
  7. Chip / remap
  8. 100 RON
  9. The chip people had a drama so no before and after reading were recorded
  10. The Gains were not noticeable at all in any way.

It sounds fast tho!

Just like others advise they got what they could out of this engine,  buy a GT3 dont waste your money as all these people who sell fast parts talk ****,

• Moderators

Welcome to RennTech :welcome:

While you are preaching to the choir when it comes to spending wads of cash to try and getting big horsepower out of normally asperated Porsche engines, you are also replying to a nine year old thread.........

• 2 years later...

So I realize this thread is years old but let's bring it back. Any 996 NA guys find any new bolt ons since? What about the claims that this intake alone added 22 to 25hp on the dyno? 

WWW.MODBARGAINS.COM

Experts to help answer questions for Porsche 996 Carrera (NON TURBO) Maxflo Competition Air Intake. CALL 714-582-3330 to speak to an Expert.

Edited by Hangar13auto

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Hangar13auto said:

So I realize this thread is years old but let's bring it back. Any 996 NA guys find any new bolt ons since? What about the claims that this intake alone added 22 to 25hp on the dyno? 

WWW.MODBARGAINS.COM

Experts to help answer questions for Porsche 996 Carrera (NON TURBO) Maxflo Competition Air Intake. CALL 714-582-3330 to speak to an Expert.

The claims were nonsense then, and still are today...……….