Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What is an average city driving MPG?

Hi, all.

Looking to see what some of you are getting for city MPG. I'm averaging 130-150 miles per fill-up? Is this normal? I'm not running it hard just normal driving. I get approx 75 miles per a quarter a tank @ 80mph on the highway, I think this is very good. But when it comes to driving around town it just seems redicuosly low. So maybe some of your #'s could help me understand this better. Thanks!

In combined city / highway driving , I get 20.3 to 20.4 miles per gallon. It depends on how heavy your right foot is and how keep the revs down to reasonable numbers in town. For instance: drive with the revs between 2,200 and 3,000 and use the appropriate gear to stay within that range. Brake on the engine as much as you can so you only use the brakes in the last few feet / yards before you come to a stop ( that will extend your pad / rotor life dramatically .. another way to save money while driving a Porsche). Of course all of this if you have a 6-speed.

Where do you live and is it a lot of stop and go? In places like DC, NYC and LA, you'll get stuck and a 2 mi drive turns into a 20 drive.

You should get 15-17 mpg in the city with light traffic in suburb for example. Are you running too rich or idle is high?

Also, this is a GT3 right? Most of us are quoting Carerra MPG.

Driving a Tiptronic in Atlanta traffic .... maybe not LA, but its pretty heavy .... in a daily 70 mile round trip commute for a year. I average from 20-22 mpg doing this, and 22-24 on highway trips.

Kim

2000 Cab

Re: engine braking, when I attended the Porsche Driving Experience the instructors recommended pretty strongly not to use the engine as a brake. Their words were "brakes run $1K, your engine runs $15K", and "the brakes were designed to stop the car, the engine was designed to accelerate it". Granted they were referring to people downshifting to slow the car, but it was good information for me.

In combined city / highway driving , I get 20.3 to 20.4 miles per gallon. It depends on how heavy your right foot is and how keep the revs down to reasonable numbers in town. For instance: drive with the revs between 2,200 and 3,000 and use the appropriate gear to stay within that range. Brake on the engine as much as you can so you only use the brakes in the last few feet / yards before you come to a stop ( that will extend your pad / rotor life dramatically .. another way to save money while driving a Porsche). Of course all of this if you have a 6-speed.

I don't downshift simply to slow down because I don't want either clutch or transmission wear. I can't see much of a connection to engine wear, however. A few higher revs coupled with a bit more oil pressure wouldn't seem to hurt anything.

• 1 month later...

997S. I never paid any attention. With a GT3 I'm surprised to hear you ask, really. I wonder if there's a Hummer forum somewhere where they discuss MPG?! The metro area in which you reside will make a significant difference, especially if you deal with rush-hour traffic in a city like LA or SFO.

997S. I never paid any attention. With a GT3 I'm surprised to hear you ask, really. I wonder if there's a Hummer forum somewhere where they discuss MPG?! The metro area in which you reside will make a significant difference, especially if you deal with rush-hour traffic in a city like LA or SFO.

i must drive pretty "gas wastingly" since i only get 14mph in nyc and 23mph driving on the highway.

I live in Cali. I commute from the San Fernandeo Valley to West Hollywood every work day. I average 17.2 to 17.4 mpg, with an average speed of 23 mph.

AVg. speed of 23. Man, I'm glad I don't live in California. I sure do miss the incredible weather though. I have to say, I drove my 997 to downtown Dallas today (my daily driver needs service) and it was fun, but rough. I've gotten accustomed to my BMW 745 for bus. Don't get me wrong, I love my P but I don't think I could drive it every day. I'm not so sure I'd have the same appreciation for the car. My hat's off to you guys that drive these every day unless you have reasonable commutes. Cheers!

I get about the same as most others here...a combined 20 miles per gallon highway and city driving. Of course, I always drive in a most spirited fashion, so I wouldn't be surprised to get a bit better if I knew how to lighten my right foot.

The advice about using the brakes to slow is well taken. I'll have to get into the habit of not using the engine to slow going forward but I oh so like the feeling on downshifts.

I have a 2001 996TT- no mods-yet. I had noticed some poor mileage- in the range of 15 mpg combined. I cleaned the MAF filter and after that my mileage improved to about 17-22 mpg depending on driving conditions. Try cleaning the MAF sensor and maybe put in a new airfilter....best of luck.

Sameer

• 1 month later...

I have a 2002 C2 w/6 Speed and 47K mi.

My car averages 18.5 MPG in 90% stop-and-go commute and/or street driving. When I am in the open highway, this increase to 23-25 MPG...but I'm sad to say this rarely happens.

My poor car spends most of its time sitting on the 10 fwy, in and around Los Angeles, and at an average speed of 25MPH. I guess I can give myself a pat on the back for enduring this, but a day off here and there--and the resulting opportunity to get away from all of the traffic--would surely make my car happier.