Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSE Kit from Suncoast Porsche

Gang,

I just received my PSE kit from Suncoast Porsche. They include everything on the TSB, plus quite a few extras. New cat clamps, console switch, extra vacuum bend unions, and even another vacuum "T" fitting to do Orient's famous connection.

Their prices are not the best, but they ship quickly, always have what I need, and really support PPBB. They come up to BRBS every year and donate door prizes and do tech talks. That's good enough for me.

My plans are to swap the cans and run the braided steel vacuum lines into the engine compartment for now. I'll come back and do the rest of the electronics next week.

Photos:

6672.jpg

6673.jpg

6674.jpg

6675.jpg

6676.jpg

6677.jpg

6678.jpg

• Moderators

Congratulations on your purchase. You will be very happy with it.

So here is what you are missing:

A "Y" vacuum line connector. You need 3.

P/N 928.573.727.03

One at the existing vacuum tap on the left rear intake runner bellows. (one leg goes to the existing vacuum switch mounted on the left side of the engine, one leg supplies the PSE, and the 3rd leg gets connected to the black and white vacuum back-flow valve on the intake runner.)

One at the Vacuum tank. (one leg is from the vacuum supply, one leg is to the vacuum switch, and the 3rd leg is plugged into the vacuum tank

One on the output tap of the vacuum switch. (On leg to the vacuum switch, and the other 2 legs to the muffler valve actuators.)

To properly prepare the electrical connector for the vacuum switch and the 2 wires that connect to it, get a length of small black plastic flexible wire conduit, and place the length that comes into the engine compartment. You can get this stuff at any auto parts store or Radio Shack. This will prevent the signal wires from inadvertently shorting out by coming in contact with a hot piece of the engine and melting their insulation.

Lastly the electrical connector needs a rubber flexible dust cover on the wired end. I don't understand why Porsche did not include this part in the kit (they don't put it in the 997 kit either). The part number for this piece is 443.906.102.G This is a VW/Audi part so it might be cheaper to get it at a VW store or from the Audi parts counter vs the Porsche parts counter. Take a look at the other vacuum switch which is on the other side of the engine to see what I mean. (it is the one that you are tapping the vacuum from)

The 2 blue plastic plugs are for the wires that go into the connector shell. They are for keeping moisture out of the connector. If they are not installed, you risk the connection failing due to corrosion. For those of you that did not install them, then squirt some RTV silicone in the little holes where they go to seal the connector up.

Be sure to both solder and crimp the wires onto the electrical pins, and make sure you have the conduit, dust cover and 2 blue waterproofing plugs on the wires before you put the pins on and especially before you insert the pins in the connector shell. It does not matter which pin goes into which connector slot in the shell. Once the pins are in the shell, you need a special pin extractor to get them out.

Parts to put away, or trash.

The extra intake runner bellows. Since the PSE kit is designed for all markets world-wide, there are some cars in some parts of the world that may not have a vacuum tap. That is what this part is for.

The extra vacuum back-flow preventer. That is the little black/white round plastic thing with nipples on both sides. This can be used for any application where you need to maintain a vacuum in a system when there is no active pump or vacuum source. it is in the kit for the same reason as the bellows.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.

PS: While the muffler cans are on your workbench, this is a great time to take some metal polish and shine them up :king:

sportexhaust-1.jpg

Hey bud,

I'm ahead of you already! I called my local dealer and ordered another "Y piece" to do the vacuum hookup just like yours. I have no idea why Porsche makes it so much harder.

I plan to use a long section of heat shrink tubing from the passenger compartment down to the vacuum switch.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow and add on the 443.906.102.G part you mentioned. Probably not entirely necessary but it'll look factory.

Do you have any idea why the TSB and the kit come with 4 braided steel hoses? I can't see any reason for more than two and the TSB only mentions two.

Thanks man. I know you've been told this before, but you really rock.

-Charles

• Moderators
Hey bud,

I'm ahead of you already! I called my local dealer and ordered another "Y piece" to do the vacuum hookup just like yours. I have no idea why Porsche makes it so much harder.

I plan to use a long section of heat shrink tubing from the passenger compartment down to the vacuum switch.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow and add on the 443.906.102.G part you mentioned. Probably not entirely necessary but it'll look factory.

Do you have any idea why the TSB and the kit come with 4 braided steel hoses? I can't see any reason for more than two and the TSB only mentions two.

Thanks man. I know you've been told this before, but you really rock.

-Charles

Looks like whoever packed the kit stuck too many pieces of hose in the box. Extra pieces can drive some folks crazy! Be sure to use the little clamps on both ends of the braided hose, but don't tighten them to much or they will strip and break.

Heat shrink is fine as a dust cover substitute, but I feel it is too stiff as a wire conduit, that is why I use the plastic conduit.

Hey bud,

OK, cool. I knew this was a universal kit that would have extra stuff.

I see what you mean about the leaving out the 2nd check valve. If I come off the vacuum point that you found, it'll just be two check valves in a row. No need for that.

By the way, Suncoast Porsche actually packed another vacuum "T" in the kit. It's not the same as the Porsche/Audi "Y-Piece" but rather plastic "T." They also put in enough of the male/male vaccum "L" shaped pieces to make it work!

I like the look of yours so I ordered the part from my local dealer.

Huge, huge thanks man.

I'm going to post a new message when I'm done that's basically a compliation of all the links I found on the PSE install both here and elsewhere. Maybe we can add it to the DIY or Mods section?

-Charles

Update:

The cans are installed. I only made one boo-boo. I had the passenger side can COMPLETELY installed, tail pipe lined up and then...... I realized I'd left the stupid clamp off between the cat and the muffler :( So I took it off and started over again....

As has been noted in some other threads, the console switch part numbers are completely unreliable. My switch clearly says: 996 613 987 10 A05 Right of Radio

It's undoubtedly a LEFT of radio switch...

Anyway, the braided lines are in the engine compartment and I just zip tied them out of the way for now. I'll have time next week to get into the rest of the installation.

First impressions. It's loud. Wow, it sounds like a completely different car. So far I really like it and I see now why everyone wants to do this mod.

-Charles

Edited by charlesl

I just finished my PSE install last week. In your pictures I saw the two small blue flexible plastic objects, look like plugs. any idea what they are for. I had them but did not use them.

The little blue plastic things are dust boots that go over the wires and into the back of the connector that plugs into the vacuum switch in the engine compartment.

Note the last entry in the portion of the parts list:

post-3787-1145644860_thumb.jpg

....They include everything on the TSB, plus quite a few extras. New cat clamps, console switch, extra vacuum bend unions, and even another vacuum "T" fitting to do Orient's famous connection.

The cat clamps, vacuum hose unions, and 2 Y-connectors are standard in the kit. The extra male Y-connector they threw in must mean they are reading RennTech .... I can think of no other explanation.

In reading your post, and having posted the PSE parts list for a reader in another thread, I just figured out why the switch is not included as a matter of course. The first lines of the parts list specify that the console switch, left or right of the radio, should be "ordered according to the vehicle equipment".

Porsche, for whatever reason, intends that the PSE switch be installed on the driver's side. Since the PSE kit is a 'whole world' item, including a switch as already packed in the kit would lead to a good chance of it being a switch for the wrong side. So, they leave it out of the kit and instruct the installer .... whom they probably assume to be the dealer .... to order the correct one.

Mystery solved ....

Does anyone have audio clips of the 996 Porsche Sport exhaust in action ?? I'm very curious to hear how they sound ...

I listened to many, many clips of the PSE and other, aftermarket exhausts prior to buying mine. None of the clips was any real indication of how these exhausts sound .... nor of the reverb and resonance that might or might not accompany them.

The only way to get any advance idea of which you prefer is to hear them in person ... in my opinion.

Hey Kim,

Yea, I'm pretty sure Suncoast Porsche does their own "value add" on top of the standard kit. There were several parts included that were not specified on the TSB. They added in an extra "Y" connector but it's not the rubber one. It's a white plastic one with male fittings. Therefore, Suncoast also included 3 more of those rubber "L" fittings that are female on each end.

In other words, everything I need is here to do the Renntech vacuum line for the PSE.

Pretty cool!

-Charles

They added in an extra "Y" connector but it's not the rubber one. It's a white plastic one with male fittings. Therefore, Suncoast also included 3 more of those rubber "L" fittings that are female on each end.

Yeah, the extra Y-connector is a nice touch. Wonder why they didn't just supply an extra Porsche one? Maybe its not a normal stock item. The extra rubber tube elbows were in my kit, also. I guess Porsche just can't be sure exactly what kind of vacuum plumbing each installation will require. I cut up those elbows and used the short pieces to convert my Napa Y-connector to female ends. I had bought tubing from Napa, but the non-metric size was not really a tight fit on the Porsche side of the connections, so I was glad to have these elbows.

My only experience with Suncoast has been in securing a rear bumper when I recently backed into another car in my driveway. They gave a great price that, even with shipping, was hundreds lower than local retail minus the PCA discount. Just as importantly, they were extremely pleasant to deal with on the phone .... acting as if my business mattered to them. That is very important to me. If Ellis Porsche, here in Atlanta, gave me that feeling, I might not mind paying a higher price in order to shop locally.

I have always been amazed that such a basic business prinicple seems to escape so many companies.

Agreed. 100%. If my local dealer was a good as Suncoast I'd be buying from them all the time.

I usually call Suncoast to find out if something is in stock before I order it. If there's only one or two showing in their inventory, they'll put the phone down and walk out for a visual count! Talk about great service.

They always ship quickly as well. Good company...

-Charles

• 2 weeks later...

Gang,

I just finished my PSE installation. I compiled all of the links from here and other forums in to a new thread in the 996 DIY section. I also included a list of lessons I learned along the way.

This isn't a terribly difficult mod, but it is challenging. You have to be meticulous...

Thanks for all of the help from everyone!

-Charles

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just received the PSE kit... the 3 Y connectors and the 443.906.102.G part from the local Porsche dealer (that also sells Audi and VW cars).

I did not receive any installation guide... but I will found one...

Could somebody tell me where does the 443.906.102.G part go (maybe with a picture) ?

• Admin
Hi,

I just received the PSE kit... the 3 Y connectors and the 443.906.102.G part from the local Porsche dealer (that also sells Audi and VW cars).

I did not receive any installation guide... but I will found one...

Could somebody tell me where does the 443.906.102.G part go (maybe with a picture) ?

The full install instructions are in a TSB that is 11 pages long. Contributing Members can read (all) the TSBs here online.

Instructions are not the problem (I was just hopping that AMAG Switzerland would give me a guide in french).

I just would like to have the confirmation that it is the grey electrical connector that needs the Audi/VW part 443.906.102.G (part that is not included in the PSE package and not mentionned in the instructions...) .

Edited by Mendrax

Instructions are not the problem (I was just hopping that AMAG Switzerland would give me a guide in french).

I just would like to have the confirmation that it is the grey electrical connector that needs the Audi/VW part 443.906.102.G (part that is not included in the PSE package and not mentionned in the instructions...) .

Yes it's a rubber boot that goes over the connector for the vacuum switch to protect it from dust and dirt. If you look around in you engine bay (upper left) you will find another connector that has it already. This just to make a perfect install out of nearly perfect one.

Thorsten

Yes it's a rubber boot that goes over the connector for the vacuum switch to protect it from dust and dirt. If you look around in you engine bay (upper left) you will find another connector that has it already. This just to make a perfect install out of nearly perfect one.

My nearest Audi dealer did not have this part .... said he had never had it in inventory. I followed Orient Express' suggestion, and used a short length of heat shrink tubing to span the gap between the split wire wrap (covering the two wires coming from the relay panel) and this connector at the vacuum switch.

Using a little carefully applied heat, the heat shrink tubing will mold tigthly to both the connector on one end and the wire wrap on the other, providing a nice, neat, and secure installation.