Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Background:

My 04 Cayenne S has been at the Porsche dealer for just over a month now.  I took it there to have a new key programmed into it. I lost my only working keyfob. I was able to copy the blade of my non-working keyfob at a local locksmith.  Well, the next day, I get a call that the computer won't take the new key and that a new sensor, immobilizer and keys were needed. Estimate: $1900.  Upset, I felt I had no choice and agreed to it.  A week later, I get a call that the parts are coming from Germany and it's be sometime next week.  As promised, a week later, the parts made it and were installed.  Computer still will not learn the factory new keys.  I'm told of numerous emails/calls to Porsche tech support over the course of another week.  The last time I called to check around the 18th, I'm told that Porsche has discovered a bug with PIWIS v3. Seems that it cannot program keys into a PIWIS v1 vehicle.  Now I'm waiting on Porsche to special deliver a working PIWIS v1 computer.  

My BS detector is alarming. I would like my Cayenne back, running or not, but I am at a loss on what to do.

Questions:

Can anyone backup the PIWIS v3 computer story?

What are the odds that my original sensor, immobilizer and key are really fine?

Should I make them reinstall my old parts and try with the PIWIS v1 computer?

The bill should go from around $1900 to $125.

Is there anyone at Porsche I need to make aware of the potential service problems at this dealership?

A little more on the background.  They also claim that they have a non-working PIWIS v1 and that Porsche can remote brick the PIWIS computers when a new unit is issued...??  I'm also told that the Durametric cable and software cannot program keys.

Any help or ideas are appreciated. 

Edited by tcooper
corrected spelling on PIWIS

There are 3 iterations of the PIWIS Tester, and it isn't surprising to me that there are bugs in the latest PIWIS3, which was released a few months ago.  I remember cases of 9x6 instrument clusters being bricked when trying to re-code them when PIWIS2 first came out.  The PIWIS1 had a "time bomb" introduced with one of its last software updates, which caused it to stop working after a certain date.  They don't seem to have done that with PIWIS2 (yet).

I would certainly ask for the original parts to be refitted.  Why do you need new ones if the fault is with their PIWIS3 tester?

11-30 Update....Got the call today explaining what was going on.  The PIWIS v1 that Porsche sent in would not program the vehicle. Porsche had them 'send data' from a PIWIS to them to analyze.  According to the data, a control unit (955-618-602-20) and/or steering column computer (955-347-009-09) need to be replaced.  Parts + Labor = $4400.  This is in addition to the $2200 I currently owe them for the 2 remotes (955-637-944-06-0), immobilizer (955-618-036-05) and labor that were installed.  This puts the bill at $6580.

The remotes and immobilizer are not returnable because they were programmed.  The remotes I understand, because they were cut.

Anyone interested in a donor vehicle in the SouthEast US?

Just for the record, I took it to them on Oct 24 to simply program a replacement key.  36 days what a ride.....

Edited by tcooper
just for the record....

22 minutes ago, tcooper said:

11-30 Update....Got the call today explaining what was going on.  The PIWIS v1 that Porsche sent in would not program the vehicle. Porsche had them 'send data' from a  PIWIS to them to analyze.  According to the data, a control unit (955-618-602-20) and/or steering column computer (955-347-009-09) need to be replaced.  Parts + Labor = $4400.  This is in addition to the $2200 I currently owe them for the 2 remotes (955-637-944-06-0), immobilizer (955-618-036-05) and labor that were installed.  This puts the bill at $6580.

The remotes and immobilizer are not returnable because they were programmed.  The remotes I understand, because they were cut.

Anyone interested in a donor vehicle in the SouthEast US?

Just for the record, I took it to them on Oct 24 to simply program a replacement key.  36 days what a ride.....

My God I think I would be kicking off, that's nearly as much as the car is worth. 

I took my Audi last month in for some "extended warranty" repairs just a couple of broken lower control arm bushes. They sent me a invoice for 6400dhs about $2000. They said bushes and engine mounts need replacement (they failed to check all these items was replaced under the warranty just 11months prior, yeah great OEM quality!). 

They said because my car was "modified" intake, supercharger pulley and stage 2 tune they would not cover the warranty, really!! suspension bushes excluded. I took that as a challenge. 

Luckily the audi head technican Tyson is a fellow English man, wink, I sent him an email and didn't pay a penny to the anger of the service advisor ha ha ha.    

Sorry my story doesn't relate directly, but this goes to show the dealer takes customers for a ride if they think they can get away with it. 

If you didn't instruct then you don't have to pay.

The modules your mentioned are immobiliser  (kessy) with 2 keys, ECM Engine control module (dme) and steering control module. 

It sounds more likely because of their software issues they want to replace all the other modules to get around it, at your expense. What if that does not work? Crazy