Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Durametric or PIWIS Tester II?

I posted this on the MacanForum, and it was suggested that I ask the very knowledgeable people over here.  I tried a search, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

I'm trying to decide between the PIWIS Tester II from http://www.uobd2.net/ and the Durametric. Apparently the Durametric will not reset the electronic parking brake for service, and some have said on other Porsche forums that the PIWIS Tester II can do much more

For those that know or have done research in the past, or have owned one of these, does the Piwis Tester II absolutely require up-dates to work, or just when you want to access other features? Do these Chinese products work at all?  I'm hoping it will be able adjust the level reading of the Oil Level display (mine's off, and the dealership says they can't do it), show the fill level when changing oil, as well as allow servicing the rear electronic parking brake. Since uobd2.net is a Chinese company, I'm not sure how trustworthy they are in giving accurate information about their products.

Any one here have the PIWIS Tester II or at least tried it?  It's about 3 times more expensive than the basic Durametric, but if it can at least reliably do a few more things, I thought it might be worth it.

Any other opinions?

Before getting into the PIWIS vs Durametric conversation, I would strongly recommend the Professional version not the enthusiasts Durametric. It is not limited in how many cars it can access so if and when one may sell it the Professional cable resells for just about the original price.

So now there goes most of the difference

Thank-you for your response.  I usually keep my cars for at least 10 years, so the cost per year isn't bad for either the Professional DM or the PIWIS II.  And I'm not sure if the PIWIS II has a limit on the number of cars it will access.  

Regardless, Durametric told me that it still won't allow servicing the parking brake, etc.  

I've heard some anecdotal issue somewhere from someone selling a used PIWIS about how he read that someone bought one of the Chinese PIWIS models and they had to go through the CC company to get his money back as it didn't work for him.

I'm really hoping that someone here has actual experience with the PIWIS Tester II as I haven't read much that's been written by an actual owner of one.  I don't trust feedback ratings from a vendor's site.

• Moderators

I posted this on the MacanForum, and it was suggested that I ask the very knowledgeable people over here.  I tried a search, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

I'm trying to decide between the PIWIS Tester II from http://www.uobd2.net/ and the Durametric. Apparently the Durametric will not reset the electronic parking brake for service, and some have said on other Porsche forums that the PIWIS Tester II can do much more

For those that know or have done research in the past, or have owned one of these, does the Piwis Tester II absolutely require up-dates to work, or just when you want to access other features? Do these Chinese products work at all?  I'm hoping it will be able adjust the level reading of the Oil Level display (mine's off, and the dealership says they can't do it), show the fill level when changing oil, as well as allow servicing the rear electronic parking brake. Since uobd2.net is a Chinese company, I'm not sure how trustworthy they are in giving accurate information about their products.

Any one here have the PIWIS Tester II or at least tried it?  It's about 3 times more expensive than the basic Durametric, but if it can at least reliably do a few more things, I thought it might be worth it.

Any other opinions?

I would be very circumspect about spending a grand for a knock off of a system that Porsche does not even sell, but only leases for around $20K (US) for the first year.  Some people have thought they were getting a real PIWIS and actually got an old and no longer supported version of the Durametric system, which did not work either.  "Caveat emptor".

So far the general consensus is to stay away from the Chinese PIWIS Tester II and just go with the Durametric?  

If I purchase the Durametric, I was told by them to just get the Enthusiast version.  If more cars need to be added over the 3 car limit, it can just be traded in for the difference in the future.

Still would like real-world feedback from those that have tried the Chinese PIWIS Tester II however. 

Hi, it took me some time to find the eBay seller that I purchased number PIWIS I diagnostic kit from. I actually purchase both the PIWIS and the professional Durametric system. I use both paying on my 997.1 and have programmed the multi function steering wheel and changed other settings with both.

Anyway, back to this vendor, I can vouch for him 100% he was very helpful in helping me select the required secondhand Windows XP based laptop and sent me a ready to plug and pay HDD that was set up with the PIWIS software. His Bosch interface and cables are of the highest quality and finally he offered great support with all of my many questions and never tired of answering my emails.

So buy with confidence this is the current eBay item number: 181849374841

I'm sure he can advise you on PIWIS II systems if you send him a message.

I "played" with downloading the PIWIS II software and tried setting up on my PC but could never get it to run properly.

TIP: if you get any system make sure you clone the HDD before playing with the system. This has saved me on two occasions when the laptop/software locked up. I was able to swap HDD and re-clone the drive again.

First the eBay seller you mention only has PIWIS 1 units listed or sold on eBay and the PIWIS 1 goes up to 2010 and will not scan the Macan.

I have also run into a few shops that had units from China.  All the China units from 3 different vendors)  are running the PIWIS II software on VM so the laptop runs slow and PIWIS II which Porsche tech will tell you runs slow runs even slower.  And I know a few shops have had problems with them and there is no support from China when a problem occurs. 

PM me and I can help you with a 3rd alternative....

Edited by Porschelibrarian

Thank-you

First the eBay seller you mention only has PIWIS 1 units listed or sold on eBay and the PIWIS 1 goes up to 2010 and will not scan the Macan.

I have also run into a few shops that had units from China.  All the China units from 3 different vendors)  are running the PIWIS II software on VM so the laptop runs slow and PIWIS II which Porsche tech will tell you runs slow runs even slower.  And I know a few shops have had problems with them and there is no support from China when a problem occurs. 

PM me and I can help you with a 3rd alternative....

Thank-you.  This was the type of information that I was looking for.  I was concerned re the lack of feedback other than the suspect ones on the vendor's websites as well as technical support post sale.

PM sent.