Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Change, Used Royal Purple Oil

:thumbup: I just got back from my fathers shop, I got my first oil change for my Boxster. I used 15w-40...I know I'm suppose to use 15-50 but royal purple doesnt make it...I should be fine.

But already after 20 miles, Im reeping the benefits. The idle is getting smoother with every mile i drive, the acceleration is more crisp, smooth & a tad quicker.

I had the same results using this oil in my Twin Turbo but I stopped using it cause the price for the oil was to high, But nothing is too expensive for my Boxster.

My Idle is SOOOOOO much better, I figure after about 500 miles that the idle should be so smooth that I wont be able to tell the engine is running just like in my 140,000 mile Twin Turbo.

I've witness some pretty amazing stuff with this oil in the past, One of my buddies turned me on to this oil when he showed me a before and after picture of his head on his newer prelude...With normal oil the cams, valve springs & all metal surface that oil touched looked like any other car,

But after 3000 miles with Royal Purple in his engine, He took off the valve cover again to replace a cover gasket and it was remarkable...The cam, valve springs and everything under the valve cover looked polished and whatever blackish residue that was on the oil soaked parts was now gone...

Does anyone have any experience using Royal Purple gear oil for there manual trans?

Edited by CJ_Boxster

:thumbup: I just got back from my fathers shop, I got my first oil change for my Boxster. I used 15w-40...I know I'm suppose to use 15-50 but royal purple doesnt make it...I should be fine.

But already after 20 miles, Im reeping the benefits. The idle is getting smoother with every mile i drive, the acceleration is more crisp, smooth & a tad quicker.

I had the same results using this oil in my Twin Turbo but I stopped using it cause the price for the oil was to high, But nothing is too expensive for my Boxster.

My Idle is SOOOOOO much better, I figure after about 500 miles that the idle should be so smooth that I wont be able to tell the engine is running just like in my 140,000 mile Twin Turbo.

I've witness some pretty amazing stuff with this oil in the past, One of my buddies turned me on to this oil when he showed me a before and after picture of his head on his newer prelude...With normal oil the cams, valve springs & all metal surface that oil touched looked like any other car,

But after 3000 miles with Royal Purple in his engine, He took off the valve cover again to replace a cover gasket and it was remarkable...The cam, valve springs and everything under the valve cover looked polished and whatever blackish residue that was on the oil soaked parts was now gone...

Does anyone have any experience using Royal Purple gear oil for there manual trans?

i think it's all in your head. :lol:

i have the same reaction every time i change my oil. and every time i fill up my gas tank, for that matter! i really think that oil is oil is oil.

but if it works for you, by all means continue using it. btw, i think Porsche now recommends 0w-40.

• Moderators

i have the same reaction every time i change my oil. and every time i fill up my gas tank, for that matter! i really think that oil is oil is oil.

but if it works for you, by all means continue using it. btw, i think Porsche now recommends 0w-40.

Interesting anecdote about Royal Purple. As some of you may know, I have been autocrossing a friends 2005 Mini Cooper S this year. When the car was brand new, the owner changed the oil after 500 miles. He dyo'ed prior to changing the oil, then again immediatly after. The result? A 5hp gain... on a 168hp Mini! This reinforced results he had observed when he worked on Indy car team and Royal Purple joined as a sponsor. I'm now a total convert.

Graeme

CJ, did someone dump an additive in the gas tank?

No way will oil choice do what you describe. You are either shilling (posting a seemingly innocent report but really trying to create some marketing for the product), imagining, or something else happened.

My bet is someone at the shop had a half can of injector cleaner lying around and did you a favor.

When racing years ago we used Royal purple and were required to drain the oil after each race before cool down similar to the old casteroil which would turn to thick goo when it got cool after use.

The oil worked great just not practicle for street use at that time.

Edited by RayGT3

how can the oil clean up the engine? it is supposed to lubricate and not clean. i understand there is detergent chemical additive to the oil but if it's cleaning so effectively, you wonder if it's lubricating as well.

i've heard lots of good things about RP as engine oil. not so much on RP gear oil though. be careful what you use for tranny. i'd stick w approved stuff.

Ive read that someone talked to some Porsche Tech guys and told him they use Castrol syntech 15-50 during the Summer, 0-40 Mobil in the winter, and that there was no way they where going to use 0-40 during summer on their own cars.

is this right?? is this even approved by Porsche?

I'd be more inclined to worry about, rather than doubt, a power gain. Unless there is something special about the lubricating qualities of the oil (which there hopefully is), if the oil simply flows thinner it might also protect the engine less.

That said, it certainly sounds worth looking into. I'd be especially interested in a tranny oil which could enhance the shift feel.

If oil is oil is oil, then put some regular (not synthetic) Quaker State in the Box and run it for the factory spec of 15K miles. Try a blended oil and do the same. Your mind will be changed...along with your engine.

As far as the weight, the 0W40 is good for almost all climates. That's why Porsche puts it in at the factory. It's easier to have one weight and not have to worry about where/when the car is delivered. This began on 01/24/01. As of 7/28/06, the list of approved oils includes several brands only in 0W40 and 5W40 weights, all synthetic. You can get the full list at AllData along with all TSBs and repair info if you get a membership. :cheers:

CJ, did someone dump an additive in the gas tank?

No way will oil choice do what you describe. You are either shilling (posting a seemingly innocent report but really trying to create some marketing for the product), imagining, or something else happened.

My bet is someone at the shop had a half can of injector cleaner lying around and did you a favor.

LOL, no i didnt use any fuel additives at the time or around the oil change. It was a hot day too, usually hot days my idle isnt smooth but not its smooth on hot days. Although i still have my stumble at 1500 RPM in 2nd gear and higher which i discribed in earlier posts.