Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Requesting help decoding engine/tranny Code

I'm considering buying a 2005 996 Turbo S, that is supposed to have the 455 hp engine installed. This is supposed to be similar to the x50 option from previous years. The Engine/Transmission code in the Maintenance Book lists the code as:

M9670-645 G9650-40

Can anyone confirm these codes confirm the 455 hp engine version (it has the 6-spd manual tranny)?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Loren for the quick response and information. At 483 hp, that's even higher then the "official" owner's manual claims.

Everything seems to be "straight and true" without any "stories" on this car, and it only has 4k miles on it, so I think I'll move forward after my mechanic checks it out for me as well.

Thanks again, I look forward to being a new (and recently Contributing) member of the Forum.

Steve

Ft. Worth, TX

• 4 weeks later...
I'm considering buying a 2005 996 Turbo S, that is supposed to have the 455 hp engine installed. This is supposed to be similar to the x50 option from previous years. The Engine/Transmission code in the Maintenance Book lists the code as:

M9670-645 G9650-40

Can anyone confirm these codes confirm the 455 hp engine version (it has the 6-spd manual tranny)?

Thanks in advance!

Where can I find the Engine/Transmission code on my car?

• 5 months later...
M9670-645 is a 360 KW (or about 483 HP).

G9650-40 is a 6 speed transmission.

Hi there Lauren,

I am very sorry to bother you on my first day, but I was also able to locate my Engine Tranny Code, I would appriciate anything you could tell me about it.

Mine is also a 2005 996 TurboS but with Tiptronic S transmission and Cabriolet. My number reads as M9670-645 A9650-10... Thanks...

Devrim

• Admin

Hi there Lauren,

I am very sorry to bother you on my first day, but I was also able to locate my Engine Tranny Code, I would appriciate anything you could tell me about it.

Mine is also a 2005 996 TurboS but with Tiptronic S transmission and Cabriolet. My number reads as M9670-645 A9650-10... Thanks...

Devrim

Uh... it's "Loren"

A9650-10 is a 5 speed Tiptronic transmission

Hi there Lauren,

Devrim

Uh... it's "Loren"

A9650-10 is a 5 speed Tiptronic transmission

Thanks Loren,

I appriciate you taking the time and getting back to me so fast, but I am even happier now since I thought my car only had 444 HP. Also, sorry about the name mix up, I did not want to sound like an idiot so I got the text spell checked and see what happens at the end I sounded like a bigger idiot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
M9670-643 with X50 is a 340 KW (or about 462 HP).

Why are there so many different horsepower specs with cars that are all supposed to have the same engine?

With the later cars, we find it very important to have a pre-sale inspection performed. Many people (buyers, mechanics) overlook seamingly minor issues that may result in costly repairs...get it checked carefully...best few bucks you will ever spend on your new baby! There's a million stories that come with these cars. Mark My Two Cents.

• 3 months later...

I don't think that the need for a PPI addresses his question about different horsepower specs on what is essentially the same engine in the X50 and Turbo S. I'm interested in the question too...but it's probably like Loren said...they come up with an average in a range. I'd like to know specifically what difference there may have been in tuning or the addition of a slightly different application that upped the stated HP rating of the Turbo S over the X50s. If it's true...and I doubt it...it would have to be something relatively minor that could probably be emulated. Interesting question though.

There is currently on fleabay, an '05 NON 'S' but with the X50 engine. The engine code for this X50 car (M9670-645) post-22209-1205856655.jpg

is the same as the first post here. So, does that mean that in fact the 'S' is the same as the X50 (which is what I understood)?

Just curious, does anybody happen to have a GT2 engine code from '05???

edit - actually, I note that in an earlier pic in THIS thread, the X50 engine there DOES have an X50 option code. This particular engine does NOT have the same X50 option code, but it does have the same 'engine code' as the first post here for the '05 Turbo S car with the X50 engine. So now I'm really confused.

Edited by Superfly

• Admin

That car is a not a "Turbo S".

It does have the X50 engine package. Please check the 2005 TT order guides (that you can download here) for the differences.

M96.70-645 is a 309KW (420HP) engine.

The G96.50 is the standard 6 speed TT transmission.

M9670-645 G9650-40

That car is a not a "Turbo S".

It does have the X50 engine package. Please check the 2005 TT order guides (that you can download here) for the differences.

M96.70-645 is a 309KW (420HP) engine.

The G96.50 is the standard 6 speed TT transmission.

See, this is where I get confused. BOTH cars had the 6 spd even though they have different transmission codes (well, the last 2 numbers anyway). But BOTH cars have the SAME engine code, and you've indicated that this car, while not an "S", DOES have the X50 engine. It should therefore not be 420 HP but rather 444 hp (or 450 or 462 or 483 if it's the same engine as the "S"). Hey Loren, I'm not trying to argue this one way or the other, just trying to figure it out. If you're getting the HP ratings from the engine code, shouldn't this non-S be the same HP as the "S" (Same engine code?). If you're getting the HP rating some other way, please enlighten me. Thank you.

Thanks Loren. I still don't get why different engines have the same engine code, but I suppose the VIN would be the most accurate tell tale. Without actually seeing it for myself, who knows, maybe that code sheet wasn't even for that car.... :P