Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

99 911 or 03 Boxster S?

Hi,

I've been on the Boxster forum for a little while getting advice about my first Porsche purchase (finally!!) early next year :clapping:

I'd more or less decided on an '03 Boxster S - but I just received word about a new arrival on my dealer's lot - a '99 996 C2 Coupe Tip. I'd never really looked at 996s as they were always out of my budget, but I can get a really good deal on this one (in fact it rivals all the Boxster deals I've been searching)... and I just realised what a stunning car this is!!! I know though, that it's got higher mileage than the Boxster S I would've got - and it doesn't seem very well specced too - just a sunroof from what I gather - while the Boxsters I've seen all have a little extra (wind deflector, Bose sound etc.)

I've wanted a cabriolet for ages - but just looking at this 996 somehow just gives me this "all grown up", more complete feeling.. and from what I've heard - there's nothing quite like the feeling of a 911 (not to mention the little smirk when saying - "oh, me..? I drive a 911") <_< I'm also not sure about the Tip box over Manual transmission. I've found the Tip Boxster suffers from loss in power as compared to the manual. Is the 996 Tip similar in this regard?... Eseentially, what I'm asking is will the 996 Tip be faster than the Manual Boxster S?

Any advice on the plusses of 996 over Boxster S? One obvious downfall is that the 996 will have no balance of warranty. But I'm assuming the feeling and performance of the 996 wil more than make up for that!

Thanks for helping out a newbie... 996 pic attached. comments appreciated. :cheers:

post-15073-1167432958_thumb.jpg

My daily driver is a Jeep Cherokee and a Lexus 400h for my wife. We also have a Boxster (going on 5 years) and a 996 Cab (going on 4 years) for pleasure driving. Both Porsches are a lot of fun to drive. The Boxster is a tip and is mainly driven by my wife and the 996 is mine. I perfer the 6 speed in the Carrera as I seldom drive in stop and go traffic. And I would perfer my loaded Carrera to any Boxster even one several years newer. If I was unable to afford any 996 in good condition I would gladly have a Boxster but to me the Carrera is worth the extra money. Driving the 966 means never having to appolige or respond to comments such as "isn't the Boxster a chics car?" or "Isn't that (Boxster) the cheaper Porsche?". Anyway regardless of your choice you will most likely be happy.

I've got a 05 987 and really love the way the car drives. It's much easier to drive than a 911. With a Boxster, it's pretty much a natural feel. With the 911 you have to learn how to handle it. I have a friend with a 01 turbo who is generous enough to let me drive his car from time to time. There is a significant difference (disregarding horsepower). But you have to decide why you're buying the car. If you are looking for cache' then go for the 911. For pure fun, it's hard to beat a Boxster.

If I was in your position, I'd go for the Boxster, 'cos I love convertibles. I had a Boxster S in 2000, and it was a great car. I've now got a Carrera 2 Cab, and it's a very slightly better car in my opinion overall, but the Boxster was more "chuckable" than the 911 is, and a more practical car (two trunks - if you have VERY young kids the 2 "not quite" seats in the 911 may be of more use to you though.

On the other hand, I would think the newer Boxster will have more depreciation than the older 911, but that's just an uninformed guess.

I have a 2000 911 C4 and while it was in for repairs I drove a Boxter for a week. It was not an S, but it didn't really impact my view. I found the Boxter quite cramped, small, and impractical. Of course they're all impractical but the 911 definitely has some more "oooph" , a little more room for basic stuff, and its a blast to drive. I think if you look carefully you should be able to get a 1999-2001 Carrera for a competitive price....good luck. Like you, I debated between getting a Boxter or a 911, I'm glad I got the 911.

Thanks for all the responses guys! It's still very much a toss up for me - I really like the 996 (and this is a new feeling for me as I never looked at them because of budget, "lack of warranty" concerns etc).

The car will be my daily driver for most of next year - but will consider getting an SUV along the lines of Jeep or Land Rover Freelander- maybe BMW X3/5 later in the year, depending on how I find the Porsche as a daily driver. Initially, when the Boxster S was my only option I wanted an SUV for rainy /bad weather etc. The hard top 996 will negate this - so who knows if I'll even need the SUV on account of getting the 996... if I do??

Still unsure of the Tip Transmission though. I love the immediate response and control of manuals. This 996 has about 77000km on it.. the Boxster I'd get would have about half that. But being 6'3 I certainly appreciate the bigger 996 interior!! :notworthy:

Also has anyone experienced the feeling of making up your mind on a certain model and car - then going to your dealer and seeing something else that just makes you lose all reason - and gives you a case of severe "maybe-I-can-stretch-my-budget-itus"?? :rolleyes:

This gave me that feeling.. but it IS out of my budget even with a stretch (short of one helluva deal and a miracle) I think the dealer just emailed me these pics to tempt me as he saw me giving it the eye!!:

post-15073-1167489746_thumb.jpg

post-15073-1167489792_thumb.jpg

post-15073-1167489919_thumb.jpg

oh.. it's an 02 996 C4 Cab. and it's manual too... oh well... if only!!! :eek: :drive:

My perspective. I have never had a Boxster. I have owned a softtop in the distant past, and I must be in the minority who just can't stand them. I have a 996 coupe.

If you can't financially deal with a newer 996, I would go with the Boxster. It is a must small financial risk and a really great car. It is a better handling car, but the 996 is a more fun car to drive due to its less than perfect engine placement. Plus, a Tip. If you want a automatic transmission, that is great, but why compromise on your sports car if don't have to.

oh.. it's an 02 996 C4 Cab. and it's manual too... oh well... if only!!! :eek: :drive:

I have an 02 996 C4 Cab ( with hard top ) and I also have a Honda Ridgeline truck for the snow/bad weather. Looked at Boxsters but definitely very happy I went with the 911. I'm even more grateful I can afford to have both cars. My vote: 911.

I have an 02 996 C4 Cab ( with hard top ) and I also have a Honda Ridgeline truck for the snow/bad weather. Looked at Boxsters but definitely very happy I went with the 911. I'm even more grateful I can afford to have both cars. My vote: 911.

i had the same budget constraints myself and was faced with the same decision. After countless drives and months of deliberation i finally bit the bullet and got the 996......It was definately the best decision i could have made. I LOVE the car.

I'll tell you exactly what EVERY person told me......."buy the best porsche you can afford and you wont be dissapointed"

I'm actually wishing i would have gotten a MY 02 vs a MY01, but the funds just weren't there....

GET THE 996!!!!

I think I can help you as I went from a 98 boxster to a 2001 boxster s, to a 99 c2 coupe tip. Let me begin by saying that I loved both of my boxsters, and REALLY loved the S. It was a very fun, very tossable car. I never felt wanting for power although 250 does not seem like a lot by today's standards. Now, if given the choice, I would have gone with the 996 manual but my wife was absolutely stoked about the prospect of an automatic, and she would have been bummed if I had passed on a tip for a manual. My wife is great and seeing her excitement about a car she could drive and feel comfortable in did it for me. The plus side is that she's becoming a bit of a porsche afficianado herself, which is definately a good thing as it ensures we will have porsches in our lives for many years.

At first the 99 tip did not FEEL as fast as the boxster, but I now believe it actually is. I had the cars at the same time for a while and in a race with a friend behind the wheel of the 911 the race was not even close (although the boxster's poor performance could have certainly been due to driver ineptitude). Using a g-tech meter I can get consistent 0-60 readings in the 5.6-5.8 range, so the cars are really pretty close if you have a good driver behind the 6-speed boxster s.

There are a couple of areas where the 996 tip is much better than the S. First, high speed power and torqe is much better in the 911. Romp on the gas at 75 mph and watch the car downshift to 3rd and pull like crazy to over 100. This car may not be the quickest but it definately has some legs at high speed. The 911 is also far superior in my opinion with regard to practicality and room. having back seats is great because I can put my two little kids back there, or if its just my wife and I, you can fit a surprising amount of stuff in the rear with te seats folded down. And, the best part of the 911...the iconic shape. That shape is what hooked my on porsches at age 7, and the prospect of owning one was just too much. I honestly believe the 993/996/997 coupes are among the best looking cars ever (excluding, of course, the super exotics that I will never have enough money to own...the gallardo is probably my all-time favorite int he looks department).

Areas where my boxster was better? Pretty easy actually, my 996 does not have full leather, and the later interiors are far superior in my opinion. You can fix this in an early car, however, as in my car (which has a black interior), I have added silver trim rings, a silver console, silver ignition surround, silver airbag dash strips, silver airbag insignias on the door air bags, and a few other painted upgrades. I've also updated my car with the later cupholders. I would like to add a nice three-spoke wheel too if I can find a good enough deal.

In the end, both cars are great, and I sometimes miss the boxster S. Definately drive both, however, as the tip is definately not for everyone. Below is a pic of my car (and my happy wife!) shortly after I got it. Good luck in you decision. Scott.

post-9773-1167525913_thumb.jpg

Edited by ScottArizona

Hi,

I've been on the Boxster forum for a little while getting advice about my first Porsche purchase (finally!!) early next year :clapping:

I'd more or less decided on an '03 Boxster S - but I just received word about a new arrival on my dealer's lot - a '99 996 C2 Coupe Tip. I'd never really looked at 996s as they were always out of my budget, but I can get a really good deal on this one (in fact it rivals all the Boxster deals I've been searching)... and I just realised what a stunning car this is!!! I know though, that it's got higher mileage than the Boxster S I would've got - and it doesn't seem very well specced too - just a sunroof from what I gather - while the Boxsters I've seen all have a little extra (wind deflector, Bose sound etc.)

I've wanted a cabriolet for ages - but just looking at this 996 somehow just gives me this "all grown up", more complete feeling.. and from what I've heard - there's nothing quite like the feeling of a 911 (not to mention the little smirk when saying - "oh, me..? I drive a 911") <_< I'm also not sure about the Tip box over Manual transmission. I've found the Tip Boxster suffers from loss in power as compared to the manual. Is the 996 Tip similar in this regard?... Eseentially, what I'm asking is will the 996 Tip be faster than the Manual Boxster S?

Any advice on the plusses of 996 over Boxster S? One obvious downfall is that the 996 will have no balance of warranty. But I'm assuming the feeling and performance of the 996 wil more than make up for that!

Thanks for helping out a newbie... 996 pic attached. comments appreciated. :cheers:

I had the same decision a few months back. I was set on buying a boxster S, but ended up buying a 996 C4 instead. The price was relatively similar between an earlier model 996 C4 and a later model boxster S. The boxster was EASY to drive fast & felt really fun. The 996 is WAY more powerful IMO, a bit easier to service in my garage, holds it's value a little better, had little more room inside for those occasions I have more than one passenger, and a little more practical with AWD in winter. Either would be an excellent choice - you'll win either way.

thanks again to all of you - esp to Scott for the time and details.. Your comments are invaluable! I'm going to double check financials early in the new year and work out EXACTLY how much room to play I actually have. Ultimately this will influence what I choose. Right now though it's leaning toward 996 - if I can get a good deal.. which with the right amount of research and painstaking wait I should be able to find.

I'll probably only get the car a good few months into 2007 though, as I don't want to rush it - as HIGHLY tempting as it is - and my newfound interest in a 996 has warranted a look at earlier models - '99-01, which bring in more variables. Hope I can find an '02 but that's unlikely.

This board is an incredible resource for help and advice. :notworthy: Will keep updating- and when i get the car... naturally the joy will be shared on here.

Take care and Happy New Year to you all. The numbers 2007 will hopefully soon become 996 for me!!

I'd suggest driving an 996 tip and 6 speed, assuming Scott's lovely wife isn't a factor in your decision. :) I think you'll find the 6 speed much more enjoyable to drive. My 99 is a daily driver and I've been very happy with it as such. Personally, given the choices you've put forth, I'd probably go with the Boxster S for both the lower miles and the 6 speed.