Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wave at your fellow Porsche owners!

I posted this over at flat-6.net, but I think it's worth saying here as well.....

One of the things I thought was great when I bought my Corvette a few years back was that every other Corvette owner, without fail, waved when you met them/passed them in the opposite direction anywhere.

It was a small gesture, but it really made me not only more enthusiastic about being a Corvette owner, but made me more of a sports car enthusiast in general, which got me interested in racing, joining the SCCA, getting a regional SCCA competition license, and eventually (when I traded the Corvette for the 2006 C4Cab), the PCA.

Now, maybe it's me, or it could be that there are simply fewer Porsche cars out there than corvettes, and I know it's not a big thing, but I've waved at all the Porsche drivers I've seen since I got my car last Oct, and I've got nothing but blank stares back.

I'm undaunted, I'll keep waving, and maybe one of you will eventually wave back.

I think it's a simple gesture, that acknowledges a little of what brought us here, and formed the PCA to begin with: a common passion for the world's finest sports car.

It also might encourage younger/newer Porsche owners to get more involved in with sports cars, racing, the PCA, the SCCA, help out other Porsche owners, or just re-enforce they've made not only a great decision in a car, but belong to a simple group of folks who love people as much as they love driving their cars.

I'll also say, that the response I get now, when I get out and talk to a garage owner, for example, vs what I got when I was driving the corvette is markably different. In the corvette, people would enthusiastically come over and chat up about the car, the engine, whatever, and I made several new friends that way.

With the Porsche, people seem much colder and almost hostile now, and it really sucks. I kinda liked sharing my love for my car and showing people the ins and outs. It's almost as if the stereotypical Porsche driver has been set as a snooty, know-it-all yuppie SOB who wouldn't give you the time of day.

That sure isn’t me, and I KNOW it's not any of the Porsche owners I've met so far OR any of the super-helpful people here who have helped me personally with mods, solid recommendations, solutions and general advice.

So, I don't know...I guess I'm hoping that maybe getting started with waving at your fellow Porsche owners might also help knock down that crappy stereotype.

So...smile and wave when you drive by a fellow Porsche owner! If nothing else, you'll maybe make someone smile.

Worst case, you'll give your arm some exercise... :)

Damon

Edited by dcooper

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I posted this over at flat-6.net, but I think it's worth saying here as well.....

One of the things I thought was great when I bought my Corvette a few years back was that every other Corvette owner, without fail, waved when you met them/passed them in the opposite direction anywhere.

It was a small gesture, but it really made me not only more enthusiastic about being a Corvette owner, but made me more of a sports car enthusiast in general, which got me interested in racing, joining the SCCA, getting a regional SCCA competition license, and eventually (when I traded the Corvette for the 2006 C4Cab), the PCA.

Now, maybe it's me, or it could be that there are simply fewer Porsche cars out there than corvettes, and I know it's not a big thing, but I've waved at all the Porsche drivers I've seen since I got my car last Oct, and I've got nothing but blank stares back.

I'm undaunted, I'll keep waving, and maybe one of you will eventually wave back.

I think it's a simple gesture, that acknowledges a little of what brought us here, and formed the PCA to begin with: a common passion for the world's finest sports car.

It also might encourage younger/newer Porsche owners to get more involved in with sports cars, racing, the PCA, the SCCA, help out other Porsche owners, or just re-enforce they've made not only a great decision in a car, but belong to a simple group of folks who love people as much as they love driving their cars.

I'll also say, that the response I get now, when I get out and talk to a garage owner, for example, vs what I got when I was driving the corvette is markably different. In the corvette, people would enthusiastically come over and chat up about the car, the engine, whatever, and I made several new friends that way.

With the Porsche, people seem much colder and almost hostile now, and it really sucks. I kinda liked sharing my love for my car and showing people the ins and outs. It's almost as if the stereotypical Porsche driver has been set as a snooty, know-it-all yuppie SOB who wouldn't give you the time of day.

That sure isn’t me, and I KNOW it's not any of the Porsche owners I've met so far OR any of the super-helpful people here who have helped me personally with mods, solid recommendations, solutions and general advice.

So, I don't know...I guess I'm hoping that maybe getting started with waving at your fellow Porsche owners might also help knock down that crappy stereotype.

So...smile and wave when you drive by a fellow Porsche owner! If nothing else, you'll maybe make someone smile.

Damon

After 35 yearts in PCA and This being my 4th 911, I understand your comments. In the 70's through the 90's there was a lot more acknowledgement from owners on the road. This was before the cars became the darlings of the idle rich. There are a lot of us "old timers" who still wave or blink, assuming we have enough time, and if you don't get a response, screw them!

I will continue to acknowledge other 911's (and maybe Boxters & Caymans) not so sure about SUV's!

Hope to wave at you soon!

Larry

• Admin

I wave or flash my headlights and about half the Porsche drivers look at me like "do I know you?" and don't reciprocate :lol:

Oh well, I'll just continue to be the idiot that flashes and waves at other Porsche owners (my 30th year as Porsche owner and 29 years in PCA).

I wave or flash my headlights and about half the Porsche drivers look at me like "do I know you?" and don't reciprocate :lol:

Oh well, I'll just continue to be the idiot that flashes and waves at other Porsche owners (my 30th year as Porsche owner and 29 years in PCA).

Count me in as another idiot that waves. I'd say about 1/8th of the Porsche owners I pass even notice my car, and about half of them wave back. The other half look at me like I'm some sort of freak (which of course I am, but that's another story). I'll keep waving.

Damon

That's the thing, all I hear from my non-Porsche friends (which are all my friends at the moment) is that the stereotypical Porsche driver is a know-it-all SOB with too much money... I have proven them wrong of course, but I have to say I'm feeling the unreciprocated greeting because I simply drive a Cayenne. Hey, at least my friends love it, and that's all that matters to me.

And to anyone who's still upset about the Cayenne, I'll get that 997 when I can afford one, and I'll still wave at ya!

See you on the road! :thumbup:

I thought I was the only one giving the thumbsup or wave, and get no response in return.

Sometimes I feel like I should just stop being an idiot, coz' that's probably what the other P driver is thinking of me.

I agree, there are many P owners out there who are just filthy rich and arrogant,

and they just don't give a d*mn who you are. They think they're all that.

On the other hand, there are many non-P drivers who give me the smile, thumbsup, or wave,

even verbal compliments at stoplights. :thumbup:

Edited by CosmosC4S

I always wave - some idiot will probably take a flash as a sign they can pull out (common over here in the UK).

When I had my 993 almost all 993 & earlier cars waved back, but 996 owners mostly didn't. Now I find that quite a few 996 (and earlier) owners wave back, but seldom 987 or 997 drivers. I guess that tells you that now that 996s are more affordable, they are being bought by more Porsche enthisiasts. That's my take on it anyway.

Get a wave from a Cayenne? Forget it.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

I was returning from Mom's house last Sunday. The weather was unseasonably nice, so I unwrapped the 996 and took that for a late winter ride. Upon my return, there was a early 80's 911 with a man in his fifties and a woman of similar age. I caught up with him and gave a toot with the horn and a wave. He turned his head and gave a wave back, wasn't smiling though. When I drive the car, I have a perpetual grin. or perhaps I just think I do. Anyway, I have noticed the same response or lack there of from alot of other P-car owners, or maybe they are not... and just borrowed the car.

I still acknowledge them, and will continue to do so.

Good luck, do good work and do not shift under 4k.

James Greer

Hi,

I wave at outher cars also. I think that so many people only

drive their cars on the weekend, that they are spending to much time

re-learning all the buttons and are not looking out and enjoying

the senic view. I tend to wave at everyone. My car is

a daily drive so I get more looks. I suggest you

move to California.

Paul

...I had someone in a 996 Turbo race me late one night.

After it was all done, thumbs ups were exchanged.

I overtook a 996 on the M62 today as it happens, slowed by the side of him, gave an agreeable nod, and he just looked at me like I was a t#@t. lol...

Actually, with the 356's, blinking was rather unique since very few cars had a momentary headlight switch on the turn signal stalk.

Yeah, blinking is very much a european thing. Over there it is routinely used for passing, and I think it makes sense. In the US many frown at that and I'm told some cops stop you if they see you blink.

Yeah, blinking is very much a european thing. Over there it is routinely used for passing, and I think it makes sense. In the US many frown at that and I'm told some cops stop you if they see you blink.

In the US, "blinking" is commonly used to warn oncomming drivers of a speed trap. It is a violation, at least in my state anyway, if you are caught doing so. We do it anyway.

ResB, what does "t#@t" mean anyway??

I posted this on www.PorscheAndGear.com and thought it was a good reply to this thread.

I drive a Porsche and ride a Harley and I have been waving to others who do the same for almost 30 years. Most Porsche owners do not respond, most Harley riders do. But I am finding that fewer of both are responding over the years.

My theory is that the older vehicles took more personal involvement to buy and to keep on the road. The newer ones (Porsches and Harleys both) take less personal and technical commitment but more of a financial one. They are both getting so much more sophisticated and expensive that fewer enthusiasts can now own them.

I'll keep waiving even if the others do not respond. I figure it reflects poorly on them, not me.

Edited by GearUp

I've switched to the wave from the flash 'cuz I read the current lighting doesn't like brief on state. Also wasn't getting many responses. Not many waves either. Female Box driver just recently blew me off as I pulled from my driveway onto NC 50.

I also wave or thumbs up old cars like that MGA a coupla days ago. They get it. 914-4 owners even buy kits to flash their fogs.

I think putting the word out on this old tradition is a great idea.

I've switched to the wave from the flash 'cuz I read the current lighting doesn't like brief on state. Also wasn't getting many responses. Not many waves either. Female Box driver just recently blew me off as I pulled from my driveway onto NC 50.

I also wave or thumbs up old cars like that MGA a coupla days ago. They get it. 914-4 owners even buy kits to flash their fogs.

I think putting the word out on this old tradition is a great idea.

Being a PCA member for over 35 years I have to remember to stifle the urge to wave at Porsches' when I am not in my 997, but in my SUV. Some of you guys probably think I am NUT'S if I forget and wave or blink, from the Lexus....

I do agree, however, that the old tradition is celebrated more by the pre-watercooled crowd!!

Leaving Air cooled was a big step, HOWEVER, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Thread! Just this past weekend my wife and I went for a drive up to Volcano (Northern California) and we came across some nice Porsche's heading towards us...I waved (because I always do) and they all waved back!!! Loved it and my wife commented on how that was pretty cool that they all waved back :clapping:

Then on the other hand, just yesterday, i was driving in Downtown and right in front of me was a very nice mid 2000 Carrera. I tried to get the guys attention (by waving) and he ignored me. We then were right next to each other (TWICE!) at a stop light and the guy would simply not look over. I was ready to compliment him on his car but now realize that he is the type of person that personifies that "Jerk with a Porsche" mentality that many people have. O well <_< I'll just keep on driving and WAVING!! So if you see a Black 2000 Cabriolet with a Latino driver driving around downtown Sacramento and that person waves...then please wave back. It might be me and I like the P Car Wave :cheers:

Edited by ebcarrera