Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mass Air Flow Sensor

2002 Porsche Boxster 2.7L

My check engine light is on, and autozone says it is my Mass Air Flow Sensor. Where is the MAF sensonr located at? Pictures, or just a description would be helpfull. Also, should I buy a one from a salavage yard for $150, or new for around $300? Thanks, Chase

I'll get you before everyone else jumps on! This item has been HEAVILY discussed on the board, posibly the #1 engine topic. So do some searching to get 1001 threads on this. Additionally, if you don't have the Bentley manual get it NOW, it will explain the location and process in great detail.

see this search list.

Go new on such an item IMHO. I am all for used parts when it comes to mechanical stuff (not related to safety) on my vehicles (including my Porsche) to save money but the MAF is something you want right or you will have CEL again and again and not know who to blame!

Shawn

Ohio

I'll get you before everyone else jumps on! This item has been HEAVILY discussed on the board, posibly the #1 engine topic. So do some searching to get 1001 threads on this. Additionally, if you don't have the Bentley manual get it NOW, it will explain the location and process in great detail.

see this search list.

Go new on such an item IMHO. I am all for used parts when it comes to mechanical stuff (not related to safety) on my vehicles (including my Porsche) to save money but the MAF is something you want right or you will have CEL again and again and not know who to blame!

Shawn

Ohio

If you don't have the Boxster Owners manual then you should download it from here...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...&showcat=15

Then put the top in service mode (You will find this information in the above manual).

Go to Sears or wherever you can buy tools and get a Torx screw driver set.

Take out the MAF and put in the new one.

If you do some looking around you will be able to find one for less than $300. Do not buy used.

Lastly take Shawn's advice...THe search option here is fantastic. Plenty on the MAF.

Specific Directions

Here

However, be aware that many times the same "codes" are triggered not by the MAF but by some other failure within the pollution control mechanism. So read the whole article and see if cleaning does the trick. Or is it something else. And there are generic part numbers to help you save when buying a replacement MAF.

2002 Porsche Boxster 2.7L

My check engine light is on, and autozone says it is my Mass Air Flow Sensor. Where is the MAF sensonr located at? Pictures, or just a description would be helpfull. Also, should I buy a one from a salavage yard for $150, or new for around $300? Thanks, Chase

before you spend money, read my responses in this thread.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14960

your Check Engine Light could be many things. it may not be the MAF.

did AutoZone actually use their OBDII scanner to pull fault codes from your car, or did they just tell you that you need a new MAF? if they pulled codes, do you know what the codes were? whenever you get codes pulled, always get the codes! ;)

if your car is running normally, but you are getting a Check Engine Light (CEL) it could be a number of things. check all your caps (gas, oil, coolant) to make sure they are on tightly. even if one of them was loose and you tighten it, the CEL will stay on for a number of start/stop cycles (~20 i have heard) before the CEL goes off, so 'fixing' the reason for the CEL does not necessarily turn off the CEL immediately.

to shut off the CEL (to see if the problem returns) disconnect your negative battery cable for a minute. you will need your radio code to get the radio to work again, so make sure you have it before doing this. after the CEL is shut off, if the problem returns, the CEL will light again and you will have fresh codes to read with a scanner.

also, it is OK to drive the car if the CEL is on steady. if the CEL is flashing, turn off the car and have it towed.

• 6 months later...

Hey all, another issue with the mass air flow sensor, or not?

My boxster S, 2000, has a problem, bad running engine, first the problem was solved after resetting the DME but now its permanently. After starting, the engine runs 1500 rpm. max and its not reacting on the gas-pedal.

I changed the MAF sensor without result. Now the garage is advising to change the whole gasunit, dont know the english word. Its 800 eur. and i am not sure if this is the cause of the problem.

Any other idea??

Sorry about the mistakes,

thanks, Boris from the Netherlands

Just to clarify, it's not a Torx screwdriver you need. It's a Security Torx Screwdriver. The former is much more commonly found but it will not work.

The Security Torx screw bit that is needed is size T20.

The last time I checked, AutohausAZ.com had the lowest price on a Bosch MAF. Less than $200.

Do not buy a used MAF. I bought a "new" one on eBay and I was clearing CEL's non-stop.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir