Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

long trips in your 996?

any of you guys out there hit the road with your porsches? i'm talking 500+ miles on the highway at a time, just wondering if any of you actually do it wiht such a nice car, also how do you prepare for such a journey in such a car?

I have a 1999 c2 6 speed. Last year (before suspension modifications M030) I took a 3500 mile trip with my wife from San Francisco to Phoenix and side trips to Tuscon and Sedona. The car ran perfectly and my wife, who usually complains about her bad back had no problems with comfort. I would recommend it to anyone. The luggage situation was not a problem as we even took 1 set of golf clubs (behind the seat) and used duffle bags up front.

Have fun

tmarin911

I bought my car in Colorado Springs, and drove it home to Tucson over 3 days. It was the most enjoyable ownership experience I've probably had since I've owned my 2003 Carrera Cab 4 since October of 2007. Technically, the car ran perfectly as I drove it 5-7 hours per day, for 3 days in a row. I highly recommend it, and am thinking about new road trips going forward, as I found the enjoyment of taking different highways and seeing new places in a fun car more enjoyable then tooling around my hometown.

Yes, it's a nice car, but also meant to be enjoyed. Maybe if you go on a roadtrip, look for by-ways and smaller highways with greater scenic value vs. expressways... I say go for it, take pictures, and post them back.

John

I picked my car up in Los Angles in January. I drove it home to Portland and had to detour for a snow closed I-5. All in all I was in the car for 23 hours and 1500 miles, I don't think I would have done it in any other car. The car ran perfect. I was so excited about finally getting a Porsche that I can barley remember the trip.

Just make sure it is prepared for a long haul and be a member of the auto club before hitting the road as anything can happen. check your fluid levels, serpentine belt condition, tire wear, etc. I have personally taken my car on several trips amounting over 700 miles in a single day...very comfortable touring car!

700 miles to New Orleans last summer and then back. I have done this trip multiple times in other autos (Acura Tl, Toyota Sequoia) and the 996 was equal or better, with regards to comfort, as any of them. More noise however, equal or better comfort and better fuel economy.

Yeah go for it...

I made a similer post a while back. (peperation for euro road trip)

I did before a euro trip 3000+mile in just 8 days from Ireland to Poland back in july 07

in my (00) Boxster had to cut the trip short because of car problems.

But this year I plan to make the same trip in my (01) 996 C4 cab,

this time from Ireland to Poland to Russa to France around 6000++miles

Only thing having again some car trouble Oil/Warter mix! so we will see.

What's the point in having a nice car like these if you can't drive & enjoy them

When the sun is out the roof is down B)

Went ot the Tail Of The Dragon last year. I did 2,000 miles round-trip. 500 miles was at the Dragon and surrounding area.

I usually get to drive my car one day per weekend. I usually do about 350 miles in that one drive. Leave at about 6:00AM and am parked in the garage by 2:00 PM.

Went ot the Tail Of The Dragon last year. I did 2,000 miles round-trip. 500 miles was at the Dragon and surrounding area.

I usually get to drive my car one day per weekend. I usually do about 350 miles in that one drive. Leave at about 6:00AM and am parked in the garage by 2:00 PM.

I have driven it over 300 muiles when i picked my car up. Comfortable and was great!

I took my 02 996 on a 5000 mile round trip from California to Ohio and back last summer with no problems what so ever. Averaged 79 mph and 29.6 mpg for the trip. Just check the tire pressures, and oil level.

i70-colorado.jpg

You averaged 79 MPH? Amazing! How many speeding tickets did you get? :P

any of you guys out there hit the road with your porsches? i'm talking 500+ miles on the highway at a time, just wondering if any of you actually do it wiht such a nice car, also how do you prepare for such a journey in such a car?

The cars are great to drive as long as you don't have a droning exhaust. But one killer thing is make sure that the wheels shop who put your new Bridgestone R960's on put the wheel lock key back in your car! The only flat I have had in 10 years and I got stuck in a hole in the wall called Lebo KS. The town closed @ 9pm and no one would tow me, not AAA, no one. My insurance called everyone in the area but since my car is lowered they would touch it. So I sat in the car from 9:30pm till 10 am the next day where the owner of the KC tire shop came down and brought me the wheel lock key and helped me change the tire. . . .

Let the story concern you its for real. = (

I recently bought a 1999 996 C2 Cabriolet (with a factory hardtop), Tiptronic, in Florida and a friend and I drove it back to Calgary in early January. Trip was 2800 plus miles over 3 and a half days. Car ran like a train with no problems. Used zero oil and the mileage was great ( 28+ miles to the gallon Canadian). We lucked out and only ran into a bit of snow - about 25 to 30 miles in Wyoming. Those P-Zero's are entertaining in the snow! Car is now safely in its bag in my garage and seemingly no worse for the wear. The rear tires did get a bit noisier as we drove but they are at the end of their life anyways.

When I did my Euro Road Trip, I averaged around 80mph to 100mph the max was 125mph (Germany)

& at that speed I had to pull in to let a Polish reg. Audi A8 with blacked out windows over take me?

It's a bit strange you can be say driving 100mph for hours non stop & after a while it feels slow....

Thats maybe why the Boxster broke down???

How's 2,200 miles in 32 hours? I actually flew out to Atlanta from Fresno to buy the car, and drove it to San Diego in less than two days. Hell of a test drive! I counted on my third-party PPI and the dealer to prepare the car for the journey. As for myself, I brought the then-new Foo Fighters album and a credit card.

I'll never forget this feeling...

post-23225-1203665471_thumb.jpg

I took my 02 996 on a 5000 mile round trip from California to Ohio and back last summer with no problems what so ever. Averaged 79 mph and 29.6 mpg for the trip. Just check the tire pressures, and oil level.

i70-colorado.jpg

Sick photos, Orient!

I'm not sure of the mileage, but my wife and I travelled to the ALMS at Miller Motorsports Park near Toole, Ut. We had an unfortunate detour; starting in Vegas we were 'forced' to 'reroute' through four states: AZ, NM, CO, and WY.

Our experience was similiar to Orient's, but I didn't get such a neat picture as his.

Guess I'll have to go again.

I just got back from a run to Las Vegas via Death Valley from LA in my 1999 C2 996. Had no issues and the 1000+ miles I put on car that went by effortlessly. I am 6'5" tall and no discomfort from the seats or seating position. My girlfriend is 6' tall and she was surprised as to how comfortable it was being a passenger as well. Although I am thankful I am not an inch taller or else my knee might get in the way when using clutch. ;)

Some Trip Pictures

I would recommend to anyone going to Las Vegas from LA to take the extra day and go through Death Valley. It is a beautiful place and great roads both long straights and twisty mountain roads. Just avoid June-September since the average temps then are 100+ F.

post-27656-1204144119_thumb.jpg

I did a 2900 mile round trip from Pennsylvania to South Florida last month. 2004 996C2 with PSE and M030 suspension. I put on a fresh set of Pirrelli 240's, had the 30k mile service done right before I left. Drove straight from NE Pa to Augusta Ga, then Augusta to Clearwater, hung out in Clearwater for 5 days and just cruised the causeway's, PSE sounded fantastic! Then Clearwater to Jacksonville for the weekend and Jacksonville to home on a long Sunday of driving. Loved every moment of it, in fact I just told my son tonight that I am ready for another road trip. No issues with the car at all, GPS clocked a top speed of 144 and I only averaged 25.6MPG, yes I was enjoying myself. No radar detector, no close calls with any troopers, so I guess I had good luck on my side. Only downside was I did the entire trip alone, offered to fly my wife to Clearwater and back but she decided against leaving three rambuctious boys home alone.

I bought it to drive it, all told I put 9k miles on her in the past six months.

We took factory delivery of our '01 C4 and put 2500 miles on it in europe. Picked it up at east coast POE, drove to Memphis, then on home to Seattle. Had a chance to drive it on the track at Daytona so trucked it there and then drove it back home to Seattle. LS400 would have been more comfortable but not nearly as much fun.

Would do it all again in a NY minute..!!

I have a 1999 c2 6 speed. ... The luggage situation was not a problem as we even took 1 set of golf clubs (behind the seat) and used duffle bags up front.

I just purchased a 2000 996 and have not taken delevery of it yet. I have been wondering if I could squeeze my golf stick in the car. My wife and I are palnning a golf trip to Ann Arbor, Michigan with the car. We were going to try to fit 2 sets of stick in the car. Not sure how yet.

Were you able to put the entire bag with clubs in there or did you have to remove them from the bag?

Thanks,

Tom