Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil change intervals

It didn't make sense to me at first because I was use to changing my oil every 3K miles on my BMW(They recommend 7500). Then I bought a 2003 Boxster and changed every 7500 with filters and then I bought my 03 C4S and sat down with my Porsche Tech and he reassured me that it's alright to change the oil as recommended by Porsche. Even though I went and changed it out after break in, I didn't even have to do that. I doesn't hurt to change often but, it's not needed.

;)

According to a Porsche reapir shop, been in business doing only Porsche's since 1961:

Don't go beyond 5K or so. They've had problems with Boxster's and 996's coming in and they had to clean out the intake system of 'coking'. They said that the cars that changed their oil every 5k or so, don't have the black buildup of the other cars.

I change my Boxster every 5K...Mobil 1 15W-50 of course!

• Moderators

Every one has their own opinion and it is always a hot topic. I remember when synthetics came out and they were advertized as 25k oil.

My 1997 with 50k miles is my daily driver. I go with 15k miles. But I do change the filter with every change, not every other change. An old habit. In 5 years never heard of an engine problem related to oil change intervals.

On our work on cars days we have people who want to do it at 3k miles. It is their car so we just change it since it so easy to do.

I change my oil with Mobil 1 15W- 50 every 3-5000 Kilometers or last year I hardly put any KMs on my car I changed it this spring. Of course a fresh filter every time. It never hurts to change the oil.

Well in addition to the fact that it is fully synthetic oil, do not forget that there is almost 10 quarts of oil in the system, so twice as much as a cars of the engine volume. So I expect the oil to last twice as long since you pack twice as much.

Jean

I change mine around 9500 miles. of course with a new filter. I dont take it to the dealer for that I take it to a place that specializes in Boxster they charged my $120 not bad at all, just got my second change last week. And I just hit 20K miles,.

• 4 months later...

Oil change...and how much oil needed...

I have read a 2003 owner manual that states 8 litres without changing the filter. 8.25 liters changing the filter.

When performing a oil change, What is the Oil capacity/need for a 1997 2.5L 986?

• Moderators

Porsche issued a bulletin in 1999 which retroactively increased the capacity.

Without filter change. 9 quarts or 8.5 liters.

With filter change. 9.25 quarts or 8.75 liters.

Putting in a bit less and then checking is a good idea as it is easy to add more.

It depends on how how far over you go. Half a quart probably is not a problem. Filling it till you cannot put in any more oil i.e the oil filler tube is full, will cause problems. One problem with overfilling, if I remember correctly, is that you can get foaming. Exactly how foaming occurs eludes me but it is bad. Also if you were to fill it that full then the system would end of leaking as when the oil heats up it expands and if the system is too full it then has to find some place to go.

• Moderators
<snip> One problem with overfilling, if I remember correctly, is that you can get foaming.  Exactly how foaming occurs eludes me but it is bad.  <snip>

Foaming: The oil drains down into sump. The sump sits below the crankshaft. If there is too much oil, the crankshaft dips down into the oil as it rotates. This aretes the oil (much like an egg whisk when you are making meranque) and significantly reduces its lubricating abilities :oops:

Graeme

I have a 2000 Boxster 2.7 and I'm about to do an oil change for the first time. I live in Canada but I only drive my car in the summer months.

The owners manual recommends 10W-40 or 15W-40 or 15W-50 for ambient temperatures ABOVE 50°F/10°C. It also specifically states "Use only engine oils (with) viscosity grades of 10W-40 or higher.".

BoxsterOil.jpg

Then I found out all new Porsche models come factory filled with Mobil 1 0W-40.

I'm confused. The manual says to use only 10W-40 or higher, but the new models come with 0W-40??? I found a supplier in Toronto for both Mobil 1 15W-50 and 0W-40, but I'm not sure which one to buy.

I'm not interested in general opinions -- I've searched the forum and have had my fill of that. Can someone direct me to a Porsche TSB or other similar document that shows that Mobil 1 0W-40 is an approved oil for a 2000 Boxster 2.7 for ambient temperatures above 50°F/10°C?

Thanks,

Aceman

• Moderators

Porsche issues an oil bulletin about twice a year. The most recent TSBs are on this board for contributing members.

3 years ago, on June 1, 2001 Porsche issued a bulletin which states that the factory fill as of January 24, 2001, is Mobil 1 0W-40. And that except for the 996 turbo, this oil can be used on all 1973 and up Porsches.

TP,

I am not sure why you said 0w-40 was not allowed for the 996tt. That is the factory fill.

It is on the approved list. What is interesting is that under the no longer currently approved/or no longer available section they list Mobil 1 Tri-synthetic.

15w-50 is no longer on the approved list. However that does not mean you cannot use it. If you are just cruising along, not redlining often (like every minute) and it is not very hot (less than 100) then 0w-40 is okay.

If however you are tracking the car, running the car at redline often, then I would use 15w-50. That is certainly what we boxster drivers in the bay area that track our cars often do.

ed

I did my Oil Change last weekend.

9.5 quarts of Mobile 0W-40 ($4.99/ea @ Kragen) and the dash oil marker is shy 2 lines of the high mark 3 lines total to the full. If I check the dipstick it is past the low and the high...overfill? any ideas?

Filter was changed

Boxster 2.5L 1997 5 Speed

Edited by scherb

I did my Oil Change last weekend.

9.5 quarts of Mobile 0W-40 ($4.99/ea @ Kragen) and the dash oil marker is shy 2 lines of the high mark 3 lines total to the full. If I check the dipstick it is past the low and the high...overfill?  any ideas?

Filter was changed

Boxster 2.5L 1997 5 Speed

I would say you are over though I would also say do not to worry about it especially if you car burns oil. I would believe the dipstick. Again I always put in 8 first, check the level and then add to the hi line on the dipstick. Then correlate with the dash indicator.

You can always siphon some out through the fill tube.