Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need help buying a head for my S

Hi I have a post on here " My engines toast now what" that alot of you have helped with thanks.

Found out today that its the head , theres a crack between the clylinder 1 and 2 wheres theres and alleyway one carries oil the other water, theres a crack between them thus sending oil into the water.

My Indie shop wants 3500 for a brand new head. Where can i find a rebuilt one? I understand that if I get one from the junkyard it should be pressure tested and new valves put in and replace the head gasket as well.

He suggested Oklahoma Foregin car an one semi local to here ( Im in Seattle) called Camel Nelson in Arlington. I havent looked at either one of these due to just finding out news, there both junkyards not rebuilders of heads. I understand theres salvage yards that just rebuild heads???

The car is a 01 Boxter S with 50k. Triptronic.

Thanks

I’d second Loren, Silver Star recycling in Sacramento has never done me wrong. To me LA Dismantlers just does not have good prices and they think there the only game in town (well they are but not in the state).

Regards, PK

Any reason why not to buy a used head? I would have it compression tested and valves replaced. A new one for 7 times as much money has a one year warranty or 12k. Old 500 or 750 with cam New 3500.

I understand things could go wrong with this used one I also understand new things could go wrong with the new but covered under warranty for a short period.I mean this car took 7 years for the head to crack.

Thanks

• Admin
Any reason why not to buy a used head? I would have it compression tested and valves replaced. A new one for 7 times as much money has a one year warranty or 12k. Old 500 or 750 with cam New 3500.

I understand things could go wrong with this used one I also understand new things could go wrong with the new but covered under warranty for a short period.I mean this car took 7 years for the head to crack.

Thanks

Remember the head and the cam cover are a matched set - so you will need both.

Thanks

Remember the head and the cam cover are a matched set - so you will need both.

yes Im buying the valve cover if I go this route. I didnt realize each head is 3300. I thought there was one. I only need one thank god. Its cheaper to buy a used engine if you needed two which is a bit ridicilous on porsches part I think.

Hmm... I show an MSRP of about $2300 for a cylinder head(and cam cover).

Who quoted you $3300?

redmond European. They also quoted me 650 to rebuild the head.They send it out to a machinist.I feel thats pretty high. Thats without the vale springs an valves. Thye figure thye have enough valves to use from the old head and new head.

OK so a head failed ....

But I'd be looking for a used head from another engine of the same approximate mileage that had a sleeve failure or something similar on the other side. No sense in a new head when the one opposite is 7 years old. Nor any sense rebuilding it for the same logic.

Other options that come to mind are upgraded engine (used or new) or crate engine. The rebuilders who promise improved engines just don't have enough samples with enough miles nor offer warranties good enough yet to justify that expense (IMNSHO).

There is a list of recyclers with links on the web page

OK so a head failed ....

But I'd be looking for a used head from another engine of the same approximate mileage that had a sleeve failure or something similar on the other side. No sense in a new head when the one opposite is 7 years old. Nor any sense rebuilding it for the same logic.

Other options that come to mind are upgraded engine (used or new) or crate engine. The rebuilders who promise improved engines just don't have enough samples with enough miles nor offer warranties good enough yet to justify that expense (IMNSHO).

There is a list of recyclers with links on the web page

Thanks an hr ago I ordered a used head from OK foreign. The engine was a takeout for a replacement engine due to a Blance shaft issue? He didint know mileage since it was a take out but it was from a 2000 or 2001. It will end up being about 1500 less for using a used head thats rebuilt once it arrives.

Thanks an hr ago I ordered a used head from OK foreign. The engine was a takeout for a replacement engine due to a Blance shaft issue? He didint know mileage since it was a take out but it was from a 2000 or 2001. It will end up being about 1500 less for using a used head thats rebuilt once it arrives.

Sorry I missed this thread. I have a set of heads off a 2000S. :o

• 3 weeks later...

So heres the drama.

I have purchased two heads now from OK foreign. Both of them are cracked. When they get here they go to a machinist who has a block and head tester. OK foreign claims they test them in the car. OK has held me back over two weeks now.

I tried this site: http://car-part.com/ it came up with a Pontiac Gran prix gt head?

So I have to see what Gary at Ok is going to do for me. At this point I just want to give up but of course cant. I would like for OK foreign car to credit the card and I will get one from another source. Maybe that Silver Star place has one.

The machinist here does heli-arc welding but my shop here thinks it cant be welded where it is but I have to call him in a hour.

So do other heads work on this care that are identical? Like the Honda S2000 an the Pontiac Grand Prix GT?

Im not going to buy a new one.Thats out of the question. The heads are costing 5-500 plus 50 or so for shipping. Ive only paid for one of course but there both bad.

AHHHHHH What to do now!

So heres the drama.

I have purchased two heads now from OK foreign. Both of them are cracked. When they get here they go to a machinist who has a block and head tester. OK foreign claims they test them in the car. OK has held me back over two weeks now.

I tried this site: http://car-part.com/ it came up with a Pontiac Gran prix gt head?

So I have to see what Gary at Ok is going to do for me. At this point I just want to give up but of course cant. I would like for OK foreign car to credit the card and I will get one from another source. Maybe that Silver Star place has one.

The machinist here does heli-arc welding but my shop here thinks it cant be welded where it is but I have to call him in a hour.

So do other heads work on this care that are identical? Like the Honda S2000 an the Pontiac Grand Prix GT?

Im not going to buy a new one.Thats out of the question. The heads are costing 5-500 plus 50 or so for shipping. Ive only paid for one of course but there both bad.

AHHHHHH What to do now!

The cylinder head from a Honda S2000 or a Pontiac Grand Prix GT are not interchangeable with any Porsche engine cylinder heads.

What you might have a better shot at doing than what you are suggesting with Gary at Ok is to try to have him get the cylinder head from whatever junk yard (or recycler as they like to be called) where you may find a good one. Junk yards trade parts between themselves all the time.

If you try to do it that way, the junk yard that actually provides it to Gary at Ok and Gary at Ok will both make a little profit and you will get your good cylinder head. A win-win situation for everybody.

Good luck.

Regards, Maurice.

So heres the drama.

AHHHHHH What to do now!

The cylinder head from a Honda S2000 or a Pontiac Grand Prix GT are not interchangeable with any Porsche engine cylinder heads.

What you might have a better shot at doing than what you are suggesting with Gary at Ok is to try to have him get the cylinder head from whatever junk yard (or recycler as they like to be called) where you may find a good one. Junk yards trade parts between themselves all the time.

If you try to do it that way, the junk yard that actually provides it to Gary at Ok and Gary at Ok will both make a little profit and you will get your good cylinder head. A win-win situation for everybody.

Good luck.

Regards, Maurice.

I called silver star they didint have one nor did there search show up one.

I will call Gary again.

So heres the drama.

AHHHHHH What to do now!

Good luck.

Regards, Maurice.

I called silver star they didint have one nor did there search show up one.

I will call Gary again.

Gary was rude while I was calm. He said I will call him when I get a chance, Thank you and hung up. Thats just wrong. Hes done me wrong so bad already.He has our CC number. I guess its not urgent for him that hes screwd me over twice. Ive been w/o the car since August 4th, it was brought into shop August 11th.