Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is this normal?

So,

Here I am tonight, cruising home from work at about 70mph nothing special, on the interstate. A 350z with offset rear tires, an aftermarket spoiler, and from what I could tell, a modified EVO like dual exhaust system. I typically don't even mess with people, and I just drive my S from point to point with no screwing around. Anyways, this guy pulls up next to me, taunting me, I let him go for a while, he does it again, whatever. Well after awhile it was getting annoying, and I figured he'd probably smoke me. So anyways, I wait for a straight away, nobody else on the road, he's right next to me. I look at him, give him the 1-2-3, and go. Gear to 3rd, boom, I'm already a length in front of him easy, keep going, by the time it's all said and done, I must have been 10 lengths in front of the guy.... Is that normal?? My 3.2 S is stock, no added turbos, no aftermarket exhaust, just all natural 3.2 S engine. Just from looking up basic HP and torque on his vehicle, it looks like he should have cleared me no problem... but maybe i'm wrong? Anyways, just seemed odd....

So,

Here I am tonight, cruising home from work at about 70mph nothing special, on the interstate. A 350z with offset rear tires, an aftermarket spoiler, and from what I could tell, a modified EVO like dual exhaust system. I typically don't even mess with people, and I just drive my S from point to point with no screwing around. Anyways, this guy pulls up next to me, taunting me, I let him go for a while, he does it again, whatever. Well after awhile it was getting annoying, and I figured he'd probably smoke me. So anyways, I wait for a straight away, nobody else on the road, he's right next to me. I look at him, give him the 1-2-3, and go. Gear to 3rd, boom, I'm already a length in front of him easy, keep going, by the time it's all said and done, I must have been 10 lengths in front of the guy.... Is that normal?? My 3.2 S is stock, no added turbos, no aftermarket exhaust, just all natural 3.2 S engine. Just from looking up basic HP and torque on his vehicle, it looks like he should have cleared me no problem... but maybe i'm wrong? Anyways, just seemed odd....

Maybe he just threw mods on his car that actually resulted in making the car slower! Not unheard of.

Regards, Maurice.

No this wasn't an unmarked car. Illinois US Vet plates, just like mine, custom paint job, etc. And again, it's not typically the "norm" for me to be messing around on public roads. The guy was just irritating the crap out of me. I highly doubt an un-marked 350z would be throttling to match my speed when there's no one else on the road for 10 miles straight. Literally, he kept taunting me for like a good 10 mile stretch back home.

So,

Quite normal........I tend to succomb to the occasional taunt. Boxsters love the upper ranges and are more than

happy to oblige the Lead Foot.

I really need to get out to Laguna Seca one day. :D

After hitting a cement wall at 100 +MPH I don't do that anymore. If you want to go fast do it in a safe place. Bad things happen real fast at speed. :eek: It's not very much fun.... :cursing:

I had someone trying to race me in a Prius (seriously) the other day. :huh: There are so many idiots out there...

Let the idiot crash instead of you.

Take your baby to the track and go as fast as you want!! :D

2009 350Z - 0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds

2001 Boxster S - 0 to 60 in 5.6 seconds

Definitely a drivers race. I would bet that the numbers for a roll-on acceleration test for 60+ puts the boxster ahead!

2009 350Z - 0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds

2001 Boxster S - 0 to 60 in 5.6 seconds

Definitely a drivers race. I would bet that the numbers for a roll-on acceleration test for 60+ puts the boxster ahead!

Yea, I figured from a dead start, it might be a "bit" of a different story depending on the driver. In my own opinion, the factory 5.6 second 0-60 spec is a bit off, last time I was at the track with her, I pulled a 5.2 0-60. Not that 0-60 really counts for much. I really do the love the fact that the upper gears were finely tuned for maximum torque and HP, and that it doesn't just start to greatly decline. My favorite gear..... 3rd....

Not sure of the MY of the 350Z, but my '82 911 beat the z car too. we were doing about 60 on the hiway, I dropped to 3rd and was immediateley a car length ahead. 3 miles later at the end of the road, i was half a car length. he might have beat me further along...

phillipj has some wise words, but sometimes you just gotta say "what the F#$k!".

B)

I'll never understand these type of questions and why it matters what car is faster then the other. No I don't think it's normal.

Hmmm! Strange response from a sports car owner. It must matter to you somewhat or else you would be driving a Geo Metro and not reading these posts!

Edited by Ross1

I own Porsche because I enjoy them and never care about what others think. I also don't understand post asking what others think about a certain style of wheel or spoiler... it's your car, do as you wish with it. Just enjoy the vehicle and play safe out there, keep the racing for the track.

I own Porsche because I enjoy them and never care about what others think. I also don't understand post asking what others think about a certain style of wheel or spoiler... it's your car, do as you wish with it. Just enjoy the vehicle and play safe out there, keep the racing for the track.

Interesting question would be...

what do you enjoy about the Porsche...maybe...just maybe...the performance?

Otherwise, I agree with Geo Metro comment.

:clapping:

Interesting question would be...

what do you enjoy about the Porsche...maybe...just maybe...the performance?

Otherwise, I agree with Geo Metro comment.

Performance is of course part of the package but I still don't care how fast is my car is or isn't or if my dad could beat up your dad.

I had an NSX prior to my 2006 Carrera. The folks on NSX Prime (a similar site to this) really beat people up for street racing. We have all done it but can end up in disaster so as difficult as it is probably best to just ignore the other guy and move on. You probably have the better car and they are jealous. My 2 cents. I am not hear in any way to preach like they would do on NSX Prime. By the way Loren should take a look at NSX Prime which is set up much better than this website.

I know several people have said that they think it's dumb to street race and you should just ignore the other people, but I think it's fine every once in a while. Heck, sure it could be dangerous driving fast and having a little fun, but just driving down the highway at the speed limit, you never know who else is out there. Someone could pull out right in front of you, someone could run into you. The world is dangerous even when you are following every law and doing everything as safely as possibly.

I would however recommend you stay within your level of comfort and skill. No reason to drive extra fast if you know you will not be able to handle the car. Also, it's not smart to drive balls to the wall every single time you sit behind the wheel, I don't know about anyone else, but I definitely don't have enough money to keep the entire state patrol in business. But, I believe it's all right every once in a while, and heck, even if you lose, who cares. Even if your foot was as far down as possible, you have a porsche, you can just lie and tell them you still had plenty of room between the pedal and the floor and you were just taking it easy on them since they have an inferior car :P

@ docdavid:

I'm sure you weren't trying to come across mean or judgmental, but your last comment about another message board being set up much better than this one was a little over the line in my opinion. I went to that board just to check it out, and I don't really understand what you mean. First, it's a forum, you have categories and sub-categories and posts. As far as the actual design of the sites, like I said, it's a forum and they look fairly similar. As far as the personalizations and different parts, color scheme and site header, I feel as if RennTech has the nicer site. I did not like the color scheme on the other board, not sure what it is, but it just looks sort of cheap to me. I love the setup of this board, and I think the color choice is a wonderful one, everything goes together well and flows.

Like I said though, I don't think you meant anything harsh or brash by it, maybe just the wrong choice of words.

No disrespect meant.... I have not found the search function to work that well. It seems to pull up many irrelevant posts. It is also nice that on NSX Prime there is a separate forum for things such as Tires and Wheels, New and prospective members/car history /comparisons, Owner discussions,Electronics,Forced induction,Track talk,Vendor experiences,parts for sale ,etc. Also donating money is voluntary,not required to see certain items on the forum such as TSB's. I have found this site most helpful in may ways. I was able to add integrated sat radio which my local dealer was in the dark on. What I am saying is there is room for improvement making this site better for everyone.I must say it is nice to be back driving a Porsche 911 again. I had a 1996 narrow body C4, a 1999 911, a 2002 911 and then an NSX from 2006 until recently which I sold and then got a 2006 Carrera. My wife has a boxster and a cayenne S so my friendy porsche dealer likes me.

• Admin
No disrespect meant.... I have not found the search function to work that well. It seems to pull up many irrelevant posts. It is also nice that on NSX Prime there is a separate forum for things such as Tires and Wheels, New and prospective members/car history /comparisons, Owner discussions,Electronics,Forced induction,Track talk,Vendor experiences,parts for sale ,etc. Also donating money is voluntary,not required to see certain items on the forum such as TSB's. I have found this site most helpful in may ways. I was able to add integrated sat radio which my local dealer was in the dark on. What I am saying is there is room for improvement making this site better for everyone.I must say it is nice to be back driving a Porsche 911 again. I had a 1996 narrow body C4, a 1999 911, a 2002 911 and then an NSX from 2006 until recently which I sold and then got a 2006 Carrera. My wife has a boxster and a cayenne S so my friendy porsche dealer likes me.

We have many of these same features - but we also serve more than one model car. Our information is not limited by the fact that the car is out of production.

We take donations because 1. the cost of running a site like this is pretty high (software licenses, bandwidth, disk space, server lease, etc.). 2. TSBs and other Porsche documentation - we have to pay Porsche for that. We have a yearly subscription to TSBs that is several hundred dollars alone. I would also suggest that there area a lot more Porsche owners out there than NSX owners. Our shear volume of traffic is likely much higher.

Perhaps Acura gives their technical information away since they don't built the cars any more? I do not know.

If you have constructive suggestions for improving this site please feel free to post then in the "Forum Comments/Suggestions" area.