Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Does this look like a total from any of the pros out there?? i want to be able to argue with insurance if needed. both rear panels have buckles along with damage to both door panels. both airbags deployed, cracked windshield, busted driver window. some lady ran a light about 30 ft in front of me while i was goin about 60. it was a rather mild impact for the speed. i credit the car! i hope the pics loaded ok

post-14498-1253039624_thumb.jpg

post-14498-1253039632_thumb.jpg

post-14498-1253039645_thumb.jpg

post-14498-1253039654_thumb.jpg

I can try to help you with the question but thank God you are okay. What a shame. That was a beautiful C2.

I crashed my 99 996 (no old lady involved) at high speed last year. I bounced in a cement tunnel like a pinball and walked away. They (Porsches) are amazing how they protect the driver.

Good luck with your insurance company. You may be better off with a total. The frame may be bent (as well as other hidden damage) and the car will never be the same after an impact like that. You will likely have a very troublesome car if you try to repair it.

If you present reciepts for any upgrades you did (or recent things like new tires etc.) they will take that in to account when they offer you a check. Make sure you look to see what cars like yours (with similar mileage) are going for in the market. They will average the retail and private party price of "like" cars in your area and use that as a base.

Geico gave me a very good price for my car. All the reciepts for upgrades helped. Remember you don't have to accept their first offer if you think it is unfair. You can negotiate with them.

Good luck and I'm glad you are okay.. :beer:

One more thing... You may want to buy the car from the insurance company after they settle with you. You could piece that car out. Sell the engine, tranny, wheels (those look like "super lights") seats etc. All these items are in high demand and you would have no problem finding a buyer. Others have done this with great sucess. Just depends if you have a place to store it.

I suppose it is a helluva bad time to say "welcome" with any of the smiley faces.

But as you can see RennTech members are here to help.

Glad you are okay!

Even if they do not total the car out, I'd consider taking the insurance company's best offer and selling the car to a dismantler. Unless you can part it yourself. That car will never be the same.

I suppose it is a helluva bad time to say "welcome" with any of the smiley faces.

Glad you are okay!

Even if they do not total the car out, I'd consider taking the insurance company's best offer and selling the car to a dismantler. Unless you can part it yourself. That car will never be the same.

+1

Edited by phillipj

For sale -- slightly used 996 bumper cover. Has some minor scratches and stone chips. :D

Just playin... If you got hurt I wouldn't dare

no thats funny, i was thinking the same thing. i had just gotten new tires last week (yokohama s drives) which i love. just done my 45,000 mile maintenance myself, just had the seats out last weekend and vacuumed and shampooed carpets, leather conditioner on every inch, hand wash sunday night.....uggg.... i had pretty well decided i was gonna keep it forever and buy a 996 TT when it was paid off and have a daily driver and a TT. i do have some fabspeed cat bypasses and headers but i dont have reciepts. i bought those 2 years ago off ebay.

Glad you are okay!

+1

u know im not familiar with the process of buying it back, id love to. i am the DIY type and would love to have some parts off this thing for sale, keep, and momento of my first 911. who do i buy from? insurance, auction or what? is it at a considerable discount, like 50%, 80% off or do u know?

One suggestion, always get a lawyer when dealing with an insurance company! It could save you thousands $$.

I spoke to a lawyer when I crashed mine. He (or she) would really step in once the insurance company makes you an offer that is unsatisfactory. Might be good to have one on standby just in case..

Glad you are okay!

+1

u know im not familiar with the process of buying it back, id love to. i am the DIY type and would love to have some parts off this thing for sale, keep, and momento of my first 911. who do i buy from? insurance, auction or what? is it at a considerable discount, like 50%, 80% off or do u know?

It would be at a considerable discount. Discuss it with the insurance company once they make you an offer. Chuck Jones (that is his screen name as well) is a member here. He bought his car from the insurance company after it was totalled. You should send him a PM and he can tell you the procedure.

For sale -- slightly used 996 bumper cover. Has some minor scratches and stone chips. :D

Just playin... If you got hurt I wouldn't dare

could they come back and say ...... well this is off road exhaust and this car shouldnt even be on the road so we are not payin?

Just state the parts that you are comfortable with. Leave the bypass pipes out of the equation

Contact Marc Warden on ppbb.com - his new Cayman was totaled and he has a wealth of experience dealing with insurance companies as far as totaling a car and what the insurance company will pay. I think he at least broke even. His saga went on for over a month

Does this look like a total from any of the pros out there?? i want to be able to argue with insurance if needed. both rear panels have buckles along with damage to both door panels. both airbags deployed, cracked windshield, busted driver window. some lady ran a light about 30 ft in front of me while i was goin about 60. it was a rather mild impact for the speed. i credit the car! i hope the pics loaded ok

It´s total, 100% sure.

If you are interested about the wreck, make an offer to the insurance company. In this kind of cases, they would, quite sure, accept few thousands of $.

It´s total, 100% sure.

If you are interested about the wreck, make an offer to the insurance company. In this kind of cases, they would, quite sure, accept few thousands of $.

wow, what year is that car and how many miles? I'm asking because there is a large probability that I'll need a 3.6 engine, and well, if it's totalled, then it may be worth it.

Thank God you are OK. What a shame, as others have said you would be better off with a total. Even if it does get fixed the resale value of the car just took a hugh hit (pardon the pun), especially with air bag deployment.

Get your info. and maybe an attorney ready to fight for you if necessary. If you could buy it (don't know how this works) and part it out you could come out of this OK.

Good Luck.

T

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to see and hear about your car. Many are correct about settling with your insurance Co. and asking how much discount to keep the car. You could sell for a ton $$ on eBay. I would disagree about getting an attorney. Unless you have some cheap insurance company, most are reasonable and would offer fair market value for the car. Many use the same guides as people use to sell cars, or do market research.

I would suggest ONLY looking to an attorney if you get to an impasse or feel you are not being treated fairly. Attorneys would only add costs to the whole deal...which would come out of your cut.

Most insurers will consider a "cash settlement" which is where they will offer you an amount (market price), minus the salvage value of the car....

EX: Care worth $30K could sell at salvage yard for $1500.00....Company gives you $28,500 and let's you keep the car.

Worth asking anyway.

Good luck!