Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Does anyone know if there is a way to tighten the cabriolet top down when it is closed. Mine makes alot of noise while driving and I didn't know if this is possible.

Tried doing searches and could not find anything on this.

1999 996 Cabriolet.

Thanks

• Moderators

Try lubricating the windshield header and side window gaskets with a spray silicone lubricant. Before you do this, wipe down the gaskets with a cleaner like Simple Green to remove the built up dirt and gunk. This will significantly quiet the top as it flexes.

Does anyone know if there is a way to tighten the cabriolet top down when it is closed. Mine makes alot of noise while driving and I didn't know if this is possible.

Tried doing searches and could not find anything on this.

1999 996 Cabriolet.

Thanks

There are several TSBs (Porsche Technical Service Bulletins) that specifically pertain to squeaking, rattling and groaning cabriolet tops. A friend broke one of the "centering pins" on his top and I found a TSB that said there's a newer part that solves the rattling problem. Specifically, 996 TSB 4/03 6110, "Rattling Noises from the Cabriolet Top". After we replaced the broken side and good side with the newer parts (from Sunset), he said his car ('99 996 cab) was quieter than it's ever been. The part numbers are 996 561 605 02 A09 and 996 561 606 02 A09 (left and right sides). Do a search on cabriolet top rattling here. Also become a contributing member so you can access the TSBs - definitely worth it. The upgrade parts are not expensive and are easy to swap out in about 10 minutes.

great tips here...I just purchased a '99 996 with the top stuck in the open position. After following the steps to get it closed manually with no success I took it to the local non-dealer Porsche repair (Becks's in Scottsdale) to solve the problem.

Once I ge a chance to drive it with the top closed, we shall see if these new parts are needed.

thanks

• 5 years later...

I know, old thread. But I have been troubleshooting this rattling for months, it's driving me crazy!

Finally, I suspected it might be the centering pins located at the sides of the top. I put some cork gasket material around the centering pin and closed the top. Noise gone. Now I see there is a TSB that covers this problem.

I ordered the new pins from sunset per the TSB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

This is a great discussion and I'd like to access the TSB's but I'm unsure how to get to them ... I am a contributing member and searched in the members area as well and still no luck.  Any ideas where I can find these?

In the menu above - DIY Tools --> Porsche TSBs (not available on the phone version of the site - only full site view)

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tsbs/

• 5 weeks later...