Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

how can i make my carrera faster

hey i own a 2000 carrera and i was going back home and i saw a 2010 750 BMW so i street race it for a while and it really flys away !! :huh:

shall i install nitrous ? can the carrera take that NOS system or there is other things it will make it run faster i dont want to mess it up

Edited by Mad911

hey i own a 2000 carrera and i was going back home and i saw a 2010 750 BMW so i street race it for a while and it really flys away !! :huh:

shall i install nitrous ? can the carrera take that NOS system or there is other things it will make it run faster i dont want to mess it up

Just my opinion but your money would be better spent on a driving school. The 2000 911 Carrera, properly driven, will outperform the BMW 7 series. While the 750 is a 400+ HP car, it is a 5000 lb sedan with a 1/4 mile time of close to 14 secs and a top speed, govener limited, of 155. Much slower than your 911… Again, just my opinion.. B)

keep in mind that 750 bmw is newer car with more power and porsches are NOT drag racing vehicles. what kind of racing are u talking about? from a stand still take off or running start in 2nd/3rd or freeway mashup?

but to answer your question, i would reduce weight w/o modifying much of the car internally (no nos). i.e. the crap under the bonnet and/or even dump the mufflers to reduce 50 lbs. a reduction in weight is a gain in power. a remapped ecu will give you some more response too.

Just my opinion but your money would be better spent on a driving school. The 2000 911 Carrera, properly driven, will outperform the BMW 7 series. While the 750 is a 400+ HP car, it is a 5000 lb sedan with a 1/4 mile time of close to 14 secs and a top speed, govener limited, of 155. Much slower than your 911… Again, just my opinion.. B)

Another vote for driver education. For two reasons--a) it is literally the best return on your dollar for performance, and B) you can get your speed on in a safe, closed-track environment instead of freeway racing.

Until you've done that I'd avoid pursuing any performance upgrades. Your car is built to extract the most performance it can from what it has and still remain reliable and relatively economical. Any notable gains you make are likely to set you back the cost of a compact car.

Mark

Yep, agreed. Don't add a bunch of crap to your car. You will spend a ton of money that's better put towards perhaps an 05, S or something. Also, don't race on the roads because you stand a chance of killing someone else.

Simon

What a bunch of smart *** answers! Here's a guy coming to this forum to get some suggestions on how to get a little more out of his Porsche and all of your answers are stupid and ridiculish! The only one I agree with is the guy so says not to race on the street as it is dangerous to oneself and others. First, losing some weight of the car is good. Get some light weight wheels, that is a good start. Next you may try some aftermarket mufflers and some headers (maybe cat bypass) since the early 996s had relatively poor exhaust systems, to loose wieight and make the car sound great (could scare someone out of a race). ANd ECU upgrad is a good start, since most of these cars are a little "retarted" computer wise. A good aluminium flywheel will help and a short shifter will help with the shifts. You can a add a cold air intake (suggest Fabspeed over K&N) and a BSM air filter. To be truthful I do not know if any of these modifications will add any power, but I would suggest getting a good dyno before and after the mods, to see if there is really any change in performance. I also added a Sprint Booster to get a little more throttle response and it seems to make the car "feel" a little quicker.

What a bunch of smart *** answers! Here's a guy coming to this forum to get some suggestions on how to get a little more out of his Porsche and all of your answers are stupid and ridiculish! The only one I agree with is the guy so says not to race on the street as it is dangerous to oneself and others. First, losing some weight of the car is good. Get some light weight wheels, that is a good start. Next you may try some aftermarket mufflers and some headers (maybe cat bypass) since the early 996s had relatively poor exhaust systems, to loose wieight and make the car sound great (could scare someone out of a race). ANd ECU upgrad is a good start, since most of these cars are a little "retarted" computer wise. A good aluminium flywheel will help and a short shifter will help with the shifts. You can a add a cold air intake (suggest Fabspeed over K&N) and a BSM air filter. To be truthful I do not know if any of these modifications will add any power, but I would suggest getting a good dyno before and after the mods, to see if there is really any change in performance. I also added a Sprint Booster to get a little more throttle response and it seems to make the car "feel" a little quicker.

JGriffin, all of these items add up to a cost that's roughly 1/4 of what the OP's car is worth. Truly lightweight wheels (maybe a few lbs. lighter than stock at each wheel) cost thousands. The cheapest of the aftermarket exhausts are buzzy, the most expensive are just polished noise cannons that don't really add much grunt, if any. After you tack all these things on and take a trip to the dyno it's likely you'll be disappointed with the result.

We're all here because we love performance cars. Because every 911 is built to maximize performance as-equipped, any improvements will be expensive and incremental (even on a Turbo). If that disappoints, I suggest you buy more car, or buy less car and spend the extra cash on mods. There's always the third way that I advocate above--buy yourself some track time with an instructor (your local PCA region may host driver education events, they're a great resource!) and feel faster in ANY car you drive.

Mark

first of all i don't need school to teach me driving ive been driving for over 18 years and race in all my cars i love speeding perhaps you guys need some lessons in driving

the BMW guy took off 10 seconds before me i was chasing him but i couldn't catch him the car was flying.

my post was just to find out tiny mods to make my Porsche faster

i think the 2000 cant keep up with that 2010 750 .