Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Undrained oil when using ramps for an oil change

I will use 8" tall ramps for changing the oil in my 3.4 liter 996.

Since the car will not be level, it will not be possible to drain all the oil. When I put the new oil in, again I will not be able to gauge the oil level with the dipstick for the same reason.

I am concerned about overfilling and I am also concerned about not putting enough oil in, since I will need to start the engine to get the car off the ramps.

Does any reader have any information on the undrained quantity of oil, when using ramps for an oil change, or, in other words, how much oil should I put in the engine before I drive off the ramps instead of the normal 8-3/4, 9 quarts used for car level oil change?

Many thanks

Since the car will not be level, it will not be possible to drain all the oil. When I put the new oil in, again I will not be able to gauge the oil level with the dipstick for the same reason.

I am concerned about overfilling and I am also concerned about not putting enough oil in, since I will need to start the engine to get the car off the ramps.

Does any reader have any information on the undrained quantity of oil, when using ramps for an oil change, or, in other words, how much oil should I put in the engine before I drive off the ramps instead of the normal 8-3/4, 9 quarts used for car level oil change?

Many thanks

I know it's a little extra trouble, but have you thought about putting the front wheels of the car up on some "railroad ties" blocks of wood before you jack up the rear for the oil change? That would give you a level car and avoid guesswork and leaving any of the old oil in the engine.

One poster uses his sloped driveway to his advantage by parking the car uphill and then jacking the rear. You would get the same effect by putting the front wheels on those blocks, otherwise you will have to determine how much oil is left in the engine, etc...

Regards, Maurice.

I have a slope drive way and her are steps that I used to changed oil on my 00 C2 last time.

I put the Rhino ramps on the driveway slope and backed rear wheels of the car onto the ramp. This gives the car very much level.

Drained all or as much oil as I can. Removed and replaced oil filter. Filled in about 8 to 8 1/2 quarts of oil then drove the car off the ramp to a level driveway.

Turned off the engine and went get a cold beer. Finished the beer then check the oil level. Added oil to spec. and test drove the car.

Many thanks

Why don't you just measure the amount of oil you drain from the car and then add the same amount back in?

Hello,

You are really worrying too much about this.

Only a small amount of oil will remain in the engine. Not a big deal considering how much oil the engine holds.

Regarding the amount to add, add 7 qts then start the engine and move the car to level ground. Wait a few minutes and add oil until the dipstick reads full. Running the engine at idle with low oil volume won't do any damage. I would not recommend running it at redline and at high G loads with low volume but running at idle for a minute won't cause any problems.

Lastly, if you are really worried about the small amount of old oil in the engine just change the oil a little sooner than you normally would.

Good luck,

Barry

• Moderators

The reality is that even if the car is warmed up, and sitting level on a lift, it is still dribbling oil 15 min. after you take the drain plug out. As we probably do 75-100 oil changes a month, you can bet that we don’t go take a coffee break every time to let every last drop out. It simply is not feasible………..

Put it up on the ramps, pull the plug, and let it sit for 15-30 min. Put the plug back, refill the sump, and get on with life…………….

You really don't need to put a 996 up 8" in order to change the oil and filter. I drive the rear wheels of my '03 C2 (that is 1.25" below stock height to begin with) up onto a pair of 2" x 10" boards and there is still enough room to get the oil filter and drain plug out and the oil drained into a shallow pan. The 996 is the easiest car I have ever had to perform routine service on.

I use a pair of ramps and change my oil this way too. I do not think there is enough oil to worry about that is still in the engine. You could use a pair of jacks and pick up the front till it is level if you had to. Or have a lift installed. If only my garage was tall enough and my wallet was fat enough....