Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsches are not drag cars. Many cars will beat Porsches off the line. However, top end speed, manueverability and cornering are their forte. I recall a TV show where they took a Corvette Z06 and at GT3 in a l mile drag race. The Z06 was much faster off the line, but the Porsche just blew by the ZO6 after the 1/4 mile and ended up beating the Corvette by at least 50 yards at the 1 mile marker. And that was in a straight line. Imagine what the Porsche would do on a mountain road. The problem is that around town you rarely go 120mph thru corners, however almost every stoplight you can jump on it until about 60mph and then slow down. At that time the Porsche is just warming up and would wipe out most cars in that 60+MPH zone. Would you want to go 120+mph in a Mitsubishi Lancer? Not me. Give me my Porsche at those speeds, anytime.

Porsches are not drag cars. Many cars will beat Porsches off the line. However, top end speed, manueverability and cornering are their forte. I recall a TV show where they took a Corvette Z06 and at GT3 in a l mile drag race. The Z06 was much faster off the line, but the Porsche just blew by the ZO6 after the 1/4 mile and ended up beating the Corvette by at least 50 yards at the 1 mile marker. And that was in a straight line. Imagine what the Porsche would do on a mountain road. The problem is that around town you rarely go 120mph thru corners, however almost every stoplight you can jump on it until about 60mph and then slow down. At that time the Porsche is just warming up and would wipe out most cars in that 60+MPH zone. Would you want to go 120+mph in a Mitsubishi Lancer? Not me. Give me my Porsche at those speeds, anytime.

That would have to be a very mild corner to take it at 120 mph. Additionally, no GT3 will come close to beating a C6 Z06, even after a 1/4 mile. You must have been dreaming about that TV show, or watching The Twighlightezone. :P

Edited by 1999Porsche911

Hearing the term "Porkers" used for Porsches and it does not sound as though it is a positive comment. Anyone know why the word is used to refrence Porsche?

I have heard that term used for the Porsche 928s because they weighed upwards of 3500 lbs by the time production ceased. They were by no means slow, with 5.4 litres and 345 hp at the end.

Hearing the term "Porkers" used for Porsches and it does not sound as though it is a positive comment. Anyone know why the word is used to refrence Porsche?

I always thought it was British slang for Porsche, like they refer to Mercedes as Mercs. They have such a colorful way with words on the other side of the pond, which is obvious if you ever watch Top Gear

Urban Dictionary has the definition "Any Porsche vehicle or Porsche driver"

Additionally, no GT3 will come close to beating a C6 Z06, even after a 1/4 mile. You must have been dreaming about that TV show, or watching The Twighlightezone. :P

A 997 GT3 will beat the Z06 and the BMW M3, M5 and M6 and the Audi R8 (V8 version.) They raced all these cars at an Airport (I think in Finland.) the races were not from a standing start. You can look for them on You Tube. "Top Gear" raced the first gen 997 GT3 against the V8 BMW M3 and the Audi R8 (v8) from a standing start. The GT3 won handily in a straight line (both cars) and ever more dramatically on the track. No he wasn't dreaming :rolleyes:

:cheers:

A 997 GT3 will beat the Z06 and the BMW M3, M5 and M6 and the Audi R8 (V8 version.) They raced all these cars at an Airport (I think in Finland.) the races were not from a standing start. You can look for them on You Tube. "Top Gear" raced the first gen 997 GT3 against the V8 BMW M3 and the Audi R8 (v8) from a standing start. The GT3 won handily in a straight line (both cars) and ever more dramatically on the track. No he wasn't dreaming :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Of course if you take an older generation Z06 against the newer Porsche, the Vette has a harder time. Try comparing the same year and not the C5. All smoke and mirrors done to sway people.

I always thought it was British slang for Porsche, like they refer to Mercedes as Mercs. They have such a colorful way with words on the other side of the pond, which is obvious if you ever watch Top Gear

Urban Dictionary has the definition "Any Porsche vehicle or Porsche driver"

It is definitely a British thing to give "affectionate" names to cars. Porker is very common and probably comes from "Porsh-a", the German way of pronouncing it, rather than the British way of "Por-sh".

Mercedes are Mercs, BMW's are Beemers, Rolls Royces are Rollers, Subarus are Scoobies - you get the picture.

It's to a joke about how the Germans pronouce Porsche - i.e. Porsch-A sounds like Porker

(from a brit!)

• 6 months later...

i would have to see that to believe it, theres NO WAY the porsche beat the z06 50 yards in a straight mile race, unless it had nitrous or something else!