Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1999, 996 c2 80k US 6 speed

My car has a bad case of intermittent hard start...where sometimes the engine has to turn over 10-15 time with the gass pedal being furiously pumped. This condition shows no cel/code. It is worse when the car is hot, gas tank 1/4 full or less. It seems to be a starting problem as the car runs strong. So far I've replaced the plugs and coils, mas air sensor, air filter, fuel pump. Still cant solve the problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by hugo kohl

I have the same problem with mine and took it to advanced auto parts and they did a test with their machine and said mine was the starter.

1999, 996 c2 80k US 6 speed

My car has a bad case of intermittent hard start...where sometimes the engine has to turn over 10-15 time with the gass pedal being furiously pumped. This condition shows no cel/code. It is worse when the car is hot, gas tank 1/4 full or less. It seems to be a starting problem as the car runs strong. So far I've replaced the plugs and coils, mas air sensor, air filter, fuel pump. Still cant solve the problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Hugo, You ever find the problem for this? Having same issue now with mine.

thanks

Bria

Model and year please?

By same - what do you mean?

Slow cranking? No crank? crank but no start? hot, cold or all the time? -- please be more specific

Hello Bria & Loren

1999, 996, c2, 80k

The problem is intermittent hard start...meaning that sometimes the engine has to crank 10-15 times before it fires up. It seems as if it is not getting gas. It also seems to be a starting problem, not a running problem as once it starts it's ok. Battery is strong and the car cranks just fine. One of the perplexing things about it is that I dont get a CEL...no code. This seems to occur when the car has been sitting in the sun for a prolonged period. Engine temp does not seem to be an issue. So far I have changed the fuel pump. This seemed like a good ideas as the car had the origional one. I have also replaced the air filter, mas air sensor, plugs, & coils. I have just ordered two separate relays... the fuel pump relay and the multi function relay...t6hey should be here Wednesday, both seem to have a role in fuel delivery. I have also considered replacing the crank position sensor. I have also considered replacing the injectors, but have just poured in a bottle of cleaner in with a full tank of gas and am waiting to see what happens. My impression is that on certain occasions the fuel line pressure is low when I go to start the car. I've been told that the relays, when you open the door handle, activate the pump to pressure up the system before you start the car.

Thanks for any ideas you might have about this.

P.S.

There is another member, ultramens

that is also experiencing the same problems. He has had his car diagnosed with a bad AOS and had it replaced. I had mine replace about a year ago as it was leaking so I don't think that this is a problem. In any case, I don't get a CEL/code on this.

Loren,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will be able to get that opened up this evening and I will reply about the condition of the throttle body. On a side note, this web site/community is very impressive! Reading other peoples problems and solutions has made owning my car more enjoyable.

hugo

Hey all, I have the same problem. Here is my story....

1) brought my car to an Indy, they said it was a bad MAF sensor. Purchase new sensor but still having hard starts and P1130 and P1128 light.

2) Thinking Dealer would know the most about these cars, I brought my car to the them and they said it was a bad AOS..... I got it replaced at an the Indy (Dealer wanted 1900.00)....The hard starting came back with the check engine light.....

3) So now I am bringing the car back and bascially starting over....

Spending all this money and still cannot get to the bottom of it.....

Oh I have a 1999 C4 with 104K miles

Edited by ultramens

Hey all, I have the same problem. Here is my story....

1) brought my car to an Indy, they said it was a bad MAF sensor. Purchase new sensor but still having hard starts and P1130 and P1128 light.

2) Thinking Dealer would know the most about these cars, I brought my car to the them and they said it was a bad AOS..... I got it replaced at an the Indy (Dealer wanted 1900.00)....The hard starting came back with the check engine light.....

3) So now I am bringing the car back and bascially starting over....

Spending all this money and still cannot get to the bottom of it.....

Oh I have a 1999 C4 with 104K miles

Have you changed the fuel filter?

Take the air cleaner off and look at the throttle body for carbon and/or oil. Let us know what you find.

Hello Loren,

I opened up the throttle body and there was no oil, but there was some carbon. I wiped it out with a rag and some throttle body cleaner. I also replaced the engine temp sensor and the fuel pump relay that goes behind the drivers seat in the back of the car...next to the ecu, at the same time. The car had been driven for 60 miles but was parked in the shade...started right up! Later in the day, the car was cooled down after sitting for a couple of hours, but was in the sun...hard started. AArrrggghhhh! The condition that seems to predict hard starting is the car sitting in the sun. I am running out of things to change. Next I will change the Multi-function Relay - Horn/Starter (Auto Trans), Auxiliary Fan/Blower Fan, Rear Defroster/Fuel Pump, Fuel Injection System that goes under the dash. After that I suppose I could change the injectors. I'm starting to think about the ecu overheating???

I already changed the fuel pump recently...isn't the filter in the pump...so, yes, that is changed

Edited by hugo kohl

Have you checked the residual fuel pressure? You might have a failing fuel pressure regulator. I had one that was intermittent controlling pressure on a Volvo that caused me no end of agro. I highly doubt it would be the injectors.

Hugo,

I got my car back from the mechanic. He said the hard starting is from a solenoid purge valve not closing. It is right above the Alternator....

He ordered the part and will be here in the next couple of days....I will post if this fixes the issue....

Edited by ultramens

Take the air cleaner off and look at the throttle body for carbon and/or oil. Let us know what you find.

i have the same problem.... 1/4 tank or below...

Loren,

someone suggested the

EVAP canister purge valve

i have the same problem.... 1/4 tank or below...

Loren,

I opened up the throttle body and there was no oil, but there was some carbon. I wiped it out with a rag and some throttle body cleaner. I also replaced the engine temp sensor and the fuel pump relay that goes behind the drivers seat in the back of the car...next to the ecu, at the same time. The car had been driven for 60 miles but was parked in the shade...started right up! Later in the day, the car was cooled down after sitting for a couple of hours, but was in the sun...hard started. AArrrggghhhh! The condition that seems to predict hard starting is the car sitting in the sun. I am running out of things to change. Next I will change the Multi-function Relay - Horn/Starter (Auto Trans), Auxiliary Fan/Blower Fan, Rear Defroster/Fuel Pump, Fuel Injection System that goes under the dash. After that I suppose I could change the injectors. I'm starting to think about the ecu overheating???

I already changed the fuel pump recently...isn't the filter in the pump...so, yes, that is changed

also,

someone suggested the

EVAP canister purge valve. I did some research about this. It is intended as an anti pollution device that scavenges fuel vapor. It is capable of being stuck in an open or closed position that would create a vapor lock?

again, the single predictor of this hard start is the car sitting in the sun.

Loren,

also,

someone suggested the

EVAP canister purge valve. I did some research about this. It is intended as an anti pollution device that scavenges fuel vapor. It is capable of being stuck in an open or closed position that would create a vapor lock?

again, the single predictor of this hard start is the car sitting in the sun.

Hugo,

I got my purge value put in today. I will report if this fixes the issue.....

I just ordered one myself today...keeping my fingers crossed that yours works and that mine will as well. I also have made plans to replace the fuel injectors. This was recommended by a factory race team mechanic. he says that one of the injectors might not be closing properly and that the system could be leaking. I dont see how this would be so only when the car is sitting in the sun, but at this point I'm willing to try anything. BTW, you can change this purge valve yourself. It is a simple matter to unplug the old one from the throttle body and just plug in the new one. Mine wont be here for a few days...so keep me posted.

hugo

• 3 months later...

Hey Ultramens!!!

Is your starting problem permanently fixed?

Do you know where it is located in the car?

Can this be a DIY case?

Thanks,

I have the same problem, the car needs two or three starts when engine is hot or is the sun after driving it generously!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Same problem here. Mine sharing the part number?

Any luck with your purge valve? I'm having the same problem. changed the valve at the charcoal canister, with no luck.

Thats great news! ...Especially since mine should get here today. I'll get back to about whether it works for me.

hugo