Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Crunch goes the Porsche

The front end of my car got crunched last night while I was sitting at a stoplight. The guy in front of me decided to back up to pull into the other lane. Despite my blaring horn he backed right up on to me.

5345392610_13ff00b043.jpg

Jacked up bumper and hood by ffacker, on Flickr

Thankfully, he had insurance, so they're taking care of it. My question is, if you had to replace the hood and bumper of your 996, would you go stock or would you update to the 997 style?

Any thoughts on the long-term value impact if I updated it to 997 fenders, hood, bumpers and lights?

I'm sorry to hear what happened.:cursing: At least the damage is relatively superficial. I say go for the updated 997 look. I can't see how it would hurt the re-sale value. It might even enhance it. Some die hard purists may disagree. Just my 2 cents.. Keep us updated on what you decide to do.

The 996 GT3 bumper is an option as well.

:beer:

If it were me, I'd avoid the 997 look. Once they bring out the 997 replacement, it'll be outdated anyway. And back in the 70s the thing was to update your early (long-hood) 911 to look like a midyear (mid-70s) 911. Guess which cars sell for more -- lots more -- these days. It ain't the midyears. A 996 GT3 bumper would be a sweet upgrade, and you'd be keeping it within the same generation.

Where are you getting it repaired? I used Radpid Body Works (281-350-8200) in Spring. Only Porsche certified replace facility around. They did a very good job. In Texas you get to pick you repair facility don't let the insurance company push you around.

Edited by function12

That's where Porsche of North Houston referred me. I'll probably go there, but right now I'm stuck waiting on a Farmer's adjuster. I'm supposed to meet him/her at Don McGill Toyota on Friday to have the damage assessed.

Where are you getting it repaired? I used Radpid Body Works (281-350-8200) in Spring. Only Porsche certified replace facility around. They did a very good job. In Texas you get to pick you repair facility don't let the insurance company push you around.

That's where Porsche of North Houston referred me. I'll probably go there, but right now I'm stuck waiting on a Farmer's adjuster. I'm supposed to meet him/her at Don McGill Toyota on Friday to have the damage assessed.

JE:

You would be well advised to have the Farmer's Insurance adjuster look at the car to assess the damage at the body shop you intend to use. Most body shops, especially the better and more successful ones have long-established relationships with the adjusters of each insurance company and they can always do better than you can do as an individual.

Don't forget, these body shops are now all equipped with software that helps them give very detailed estimates at the few clicks of a mouse and they are very good at having the adjuster come back if there is additional damage discovered ("supplements") after the bumper is taken off, etc...

Also, make sure that you have LOTS of hi-resolution photos of your own before anyone touches your car so that you can document the damage accurately in case of a dispute.

Regards, Maurice.

I met the Farmer's adjuster for the initial estimate at Don McGill Toyota's Collision Center. She estimated it at $3843 but was very clear that she could only write to visible damage and although she knew the bumper brackets would be bent and need replacing, they couldn't write a check for that until a shop tore the car apart and called them.

After some deliberation I ended up taking it to Lakewood Car Clinic as they'd done the work on the bumper when I got hit from the rear sitting at a stoplight a couple years ago.

Haven't decided whether or not to do the 997 conversion or even put a GT3 bumper on it. I'm waiting to hear how much more it would cost versus just repairing it back to stock.

Every time I think about changing it too much, I start thinking of this.

post-30731-0-14438000-1295281118_thumb.j

Sorry to hear about the collision; I've been hit twice too. The first was another driver's ignorance of basic physics (only one object can occupy any given point at a given time); the second a rear end while waiting at a stop sign.

I've had that experience where a large truck in front of me began backing up. I was fortunate that I stopped far enough behind it that the driver heard my warning horn and stopped in time. I've wondered how it would go if he had backed into me and then claimed I rear-ended him?

The shop did a teardown and had another estimator come out. It's confirmed that they are replacing the hood, the bumper and both headlights. I've decided to update to the 997 front end. It's not about posing or impressing people, I just like the 997 round headlights sooo much better than the ones on my 996.

The next question is whether I want to go with the Gemballa style scooped hood and bumper with the halogen lights or to go with a stock hood and bumper with the bi-xenons.

I listed out my options the shop gave me on my blog at www.fredfacker.blogspot.com.

The stock option is the only one that allows for the cost of Xenons. The turbo option is the only one that would cost me out of pocket.

Not happy this happened to the car, but it has been kind of fun getting to pick my nose.

check out the pictures of spoiler lips here and over at 6speed, esp the "official C4S" sticky over there. lots of good options. best I've seen was on Ben Choi's car. I think it's the factory aero lip, but I'm not sure. stay with the 996 look, it is what it is....

I've had that experience where a large truck in front of me began backing up. I was fortunate that I stopped far enough behind it that the driver heard my warning horn and stopped in time. I've wondered how it would go if he had backed into me and then claimed I rear-ended him?

Funny you say that. I was at a light, and the truck in front of me decided to throw it into reverse and backed right into me. It was a big truck and did a bunch of damage (5500.00). I got out, and the driver was very apologetic. I called the police, but they said they were to busy, and to just exchange info. We exchanged info, and I thought all was good. Called his insurance the next day and guess what, he totally changed his story. After a bunch of fighting and back and forth, I ended up paying the deductible, but it was listed as "no fault" so my rates did not go up. Moral of this story, if someone backs into you, get witnesses, or stay there until the police show up!

Sorry for the temp thread jacking, now back to your normally scheduled Thread....

That's really good advice, Brian.

I chickened out on the conversion. While they were offering Porsche polyurethane bumpers, I was going to end up with a fiberglass hood and fenders. Should I get in another wreck, I'd be depending on that one company to still be in business to be able to replace the fenders. That was kind of scary.

Then, my shop was having a hard time committing to an install price without seeing the fiberglass parts to determine how many hours of work they'd need to take out any waves, seams, etc. However, if I bought the parts, I was committed to the project whether they said it was going to be do-able within insurance costs or whether it was going to be another $5k out of my pocket. Catch 22, I guess.