Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
Sign in to follow this  
crumbum

DIY Transmission Rebuild?

I have the typical 2nd gear synchro issue on my 2000 Boxster S. When I bought it, I (regrettably) did not do a PII and overpaid too. Yes, I can analyze the things I SHOULD have done, but I am trying to look forward on how to get us much enjoyment out of my purchase.

I have already done some work on it myself (water pump, radiator, short circuit repair, transmission fluid, oil and filter) which chewed further into the $$$.

The only nagging issue that I am now aware of is this 2nd gear grinding. I have figured out that I can double-clutch (up) into 2nd without the grind. However, that doesn't make for sporty shifting (at least not how I double-clutch) and also doesn't work well for shifting down for a turn.

Is it possible to do a DIY repair on the 2nd gear synchro? Are there step-by-step details available on how to do it? I have seen instructions for other transmissions (below), but not for the Boxster 6-speed. Any help?

http://porsche.wikidot.com/how-to:porsche-915-transmission-repair-tutorial-part-ii

http://www.thesaabsite.com/9000/9000transrepair.htm

Well, IIRC Porsche has made the tranny parts available now... but I haven't seen any DIYs.

Have you read about the detents, I've heard they can improve these types of problems (unless you're sure its a synchro).

http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By andrewjt19
      Just wanted to say thanks to the community helped answer some questions about the scoring on my 2008 CTT 957. My next question is, does anyone know where I may purchase a complete engine seals and gasket kit for a 2008 Cayenne Turbo? Or if these are unavailable as a whole unit, had anyone rebuilt their engine from the cylinder scoring or something similar and have a parts list of required seals and gaskets which need changed? Additionally, are there any other suggestions on parts that I should change some I'll have the motor apart? Anything would help at this point. Thanks
    • By Ronnie38
      My 2001 C4 Automatic had what appeared to slip (over rev) when making scarp turns, decided to replace transmission filter and refill, the first run after 10 minuets the transmission went into limp mode (lights on drive selector started to flash) check engine lamp came on (P0734 and P0734) was read. the reason given was input and output ratio wrong for both codes.
      The Durmatic gave no other info. So I proceeded to  order both input and output sensors. Since I couldn't confirm if a shift selonod was bad. Mean while I am in Cal for the holidays I remembered I moved two of the magnets in the pan there were 4 magnets 2 each in the depressions in the rear of the pan I took one each and moved the forward closer to the input and output sensors.
      Anybody out there have any idea besides taking it to the dealer, at 75 bucks for the 5 liters of tranny oil each time I replace something to help me be smarter?
    • By sld
      transmission selector switch and unit repaired replaced 2 times and now it needs it again.
    • By xtremizt
      Hi!
      After having searched online for days, devouring through the service manual and trying as many tricks I know, I come to this forum with great hope...
      I am in the middle of rebuilding a 987-1, M97 (3.4) engine that failed when a connecting rod bolt came loose. So far I have the bottom end put together with a brand new crankshaft, bearings, rod, rod bolts, etc. Now the issue that I have is that the primary chain won't sit flat on the teeth crankshaft. Due to which the IMS is being pulled up resulting in the cover not being able to be installed.
      I have attached some photos of what I am dealing with, I assume that someone with more experience than myself on a Porsche might have faced a similar issue and can offer advice? Please... :-)

• By crwarren11
      Hi all,
      After 18yrs my convertible top has finally encountered its first issue.  After using this forum (thank you!!) to figure out how to access all of the components (top was stuck in closed position), I found the root of my issue, a bad cable.  However, as I was very carefully removing the cable from the transmission, the "clip" which is molded into the plastic cover cracked and is no longer functional (see image).  Not really surprising on an 18yr old piece of plastic.  The transmission works perfectly and I do not want to replace it, so I am looking for advice on any other ways that I can keep the cable properly engaged to the transmission.  Please let me know if anyone else has encountered this and if there are any viable solutions.  Thank you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.