Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Passenger door stuck shut after new lock mechanism installed

Hello All, the switch INSIDE my passenger door lock mechanism failed, the one that tells the car wether the door is open or shut.

I replaced it with a used unit that seemed to be the correct part. (see the attached image). After the installation of the new part, I closed the door, and then nothing will re-open the passenger door. Both handles won't work, even with force and banging on the inside. Locking and unlocking repeatedly won't trigger the door handles to successfully open the door. I've disabled and reconnected the battery, and nothing. I took the door panel off while the door was still shut (which was no easy task). This is where I'm currently at. I can't take out the door lock mechanism to put the old one back in because the bolts to take it out are on the outside of the door, which is shut.

Does anyone have a good idea as to how to force the passenger door to open? I fear the mechanism I got wasn't for a Boxster with the M535 alarm, and the car doesn't understand that it's there, and therefore won't unlock it. I can revert to my old unit as long as I can get the door open.

Does anyone here have thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Matthew

post-75347-0-94642100-1330982618_thumb.p

Update. I found out that the part is the correct one (to the best of my knowledge) it is the following part #: 3B1 837 016 P

Right hand side door lock mechanism for cars with M535 Alarm option. So I'm narrowing down my problem to the following:

- Improper installation order or setup, like I didn't turn the locking hook to the correct position, or I didn't set the alarm or the door locks to the correct setting before installation, so the car has 2 separate signals from each door, thereby confusing the system

- The part I got is faulty, and needs to be swapped out with my old one

Regardless of how I move forward, the door is stuck shut. Do you guys think I can jiggle the electronics, activate some kind of car-lock-reset, or anything? Or would I have to take this into a proper mechanic to get the door released?

Thanks

I think if you have managed to replace the door latch you should be able to get it open... But you will have to remove the inner door panel without opening the door... I dont electrics/alarm matter at this point because the inner door handle should be a mechanical overide...

Also i've seen people work miracles with slim jims and coat hangers - also seen people damage cars doing that... so be carefull..

if the bowden cable from the door handle is hooked up the latch should still open from the inside... but if its not or incorrectly installed you should be able to jimmy the lever to the unlock position....

Always check your work, next time you can activate the latch with ie. a screw driver to test it before closing the door

Best of luck!

Quick question here for anyone whose had to remove the INNER door panel. Can this be done while the door is still closed? Are there any bolts that are directly behind the area where the dashboard meets the door. I'm not by my car right now so I can't take off the driver's door panel to check and see.

Also, EleCTriCT, I can reach inside the door and successfully swivel the lock/unlock part, but with no luck actually unlocking the door. I'm assuming something is broken inside the latch mechanism that is preventing the latch to be released when the mechanism is in the "unlock" state.

You will need to pull the door panel off. It might be hard to do with the door closed. Did you connect all the wires back up? If it's not locking and unlocking then no peer is coming through or the item is defective. In terms of opening the lock mechanism with the handle that's mechanical versus powered so you may not have installed the latch back on. Good luck.