Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Any ideas? 2004 Cayenne Turbo not shifting at all?

All you great mechanics and experts out there I need help... I pulled into the driveway and everything was fine. Went to go somewhere the next day, engine starts fine, moved shifter into reverse to back out and no shift, still in park.. try drive, no drive, try manual/tiptronic no love.. wtf?? The shifter seems to move lighter than before could something in there have broken? I'm thinking if I can't fix I need a mechanic to come to me. Without neutral we can't tow right? .... *sigh* Last thing I need right now is a big bill.. any help/advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

- Andrew

If your feeling the shifter being light then it could very well be in the shifter mechanism. Otherwise I would say run the codes first and if everything is fine then also have the fluid level checked in the tranny, the tranny will act like that if the fluid level is real low but it seems like it would be difficult for it to get that low without you noticing a change in the shifting.

Follow the instructions in the owners manual about removing the upper shifter cover to gain access to the shifter interlock mechanism. That should at least give you line of sight to see if the shifter cable has broken at the upper connection, then inspect the connection at the gearbox. Apply the parking brake as a safety measure.

• 1 month later...

Find one of my posts where I had a similar problem except I got stuck in "D". At the end of the day, it turned out to be the cable that connects the shifter to the transmission. It was a couple of hundred bucks at the dealer to fix.

Soon after the repair, my airbag light turned on. In my research, apparently this is a common occurrence when messing around with the shifter. The dealer refuses to accept responsibility for this and now I am stuck with an airbag light permanently on and the dealer says that to fix it I must replace the driver's side curtain airbag....