Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Last month I got a letter from Porsche Japan saying that the intermediate shaft may need to be replaced and to bring it to the dealer for inspection. If it does need replacing it will be done free of charge. BTW, I did not buy my car from the dealer and have only gone there to get my doors reprogrammed.Has anybody from any other country been contacted by Porsche on this?

Come on Greg! We don't live in Japan, so why don't you give it a rest. I've seen your post on other threads... Don't hi-jack this one!

Last month I got a letter from Porsche Japan saying that the intermediate shaft may need to be replaced and to bring it to the dealer for inspection. If it does need replacing it will be done free of charge. BTW, I did not buy my car from the dealer and have only gone there to get my doors reprogrammed.Has anybody from any other country been contacted by Porsche on this?

Come on Greg! We don't live in Japan, so why don't you give it a rest. I've seen your post on other threads... Don't hi-jack this one!

I posted this in several threads because this problem is in common with 986s, 996s, 987s and 997s. Maybe you don't live in Japan, but one presumes you own a Porsche. So, if Porsche Japan is taking action on this, perhaps others can use this as leverage to get their local Porsche to act.

Edited by greg0d

I posted this in several threads because this problem is in common with 986s, 996s, 987s and 997s. Maybe you don't live in Japan, but one presumes you own a Porsche. So, if Porsche Japan is taking action on this, perhaps others can use this as leverage to get their local Porsche to act.

Fair enough, and yeah... Since I'm the one who started this topic your presumptions would be correct. That being said, without any further information it really doesn't do a whole lot of good. I'm a new 996 owner myself and think anyone buying one needs to buy with their eyes wide open. There is no shortage of IMS stories on the web. I've even read a few where a US dealer replaced the bearing at no cost, but that certainly doesn't mean that's the norm. This issue has been around forever and I really don't see Porsche putting new bearings in 70k+ mile cars!

Here is a camera picture of the letter I got from Porsche Japan. dscn1029e.jpg Here is what the letter says in Japanese so you can plug whatever you want into google translate:

お客様各位     ポルシェジャパン株式会社お車に関する重要なお知らせ(インターミディエイト・シャフトについて)拝啓時下ますますご清栄のこととお喜び申し上げます。平素はポルシェ車をご愛用いただき、誠にありがとうございます。お客様のお車の品質を高レベルに保ち、安心してお乗りいただくためのご連絡をさせていただきます。これまでに生産されたポルシェ車の70%以上が、今なお世界の道路を走り続けてているーこの事実は、当社が誇る高いひんしつを物語るものです。ポルシェは卓越した車であるだけではなく、長くお乗りいただく楽しみを味わえる車でもあります。このような品質基準を長期にわたって維持するため、ポルシェでは車両の製造年代にかかわらず、品質に関するじょうほうを継続的に評価しています。こうした継続的検証を行う中で、当社「911」および「ボクスター」(2001年5月4日以降2005年2月21日までに製造された2001〜2005年モデル)のインターミディエイト・シャフト部分に、お客様の使用過程において損傷が発生する場合があることを確認いたしました。当社に記録によりますと、お客様は上記の範囲に該当することに致します。私どもの調査では、本件に関して今後お客様にご迷惑がおよぶ可能性は低いものと考えられます。しかしながら、これからもポルシェ車に安心してお乗りいただきますよう、当社は上記の調査結果および必要となりうる対応について、お客様にお知らせすることに致しました。(1) お客様におかれましては、インターミディエイト・シャフトが損傷するリスクを最小限に抑えるため、直ちに以下の症状に注意を払っていただきますようにお願いいたします。(a) 一般的なエンジン音とは異なる大きなエンジンの音(b)相当量のオイル漏出(c) 激しいエンジン振動がないか(d) エミッション・コントロール警告灯(チェック・エンジン警告灯)が点灯していないかもしも上記(a)ないし©の兆候が見られた場合には、直ちに車の運転を控え、お近くのポルシェセンターにご連絡いただき、措置に必要性を判断するためにエンジンの点検を受けていただきますようお願い申し上げます。また、(d)の兆候が見られた場合には、お近くのポルシェセンターまで相当の注意をもって運転の上、エミッション・コントロール警告灯(チェックエンジン警告灯)点灯の原因把握のために検査を受けていただきますようお願い申し上げます。(2) お客様の車両のエンジンに潜在的な故障に関する初期的な兆候があるか確認するために、可及的速やかにお近くのポルシェセンターにご連絡の上、エンジン点検を受けていただき、必要があれば修理していただきますようお願い申し上げます。上記(1)(2)のエンジン点検は無償で実施させていただきます。点検の結果、インターミディエイト・シャフトの修理が必要とされる場合、当該修理も無償で実施させていただきます。当社は上記の措置により、お客様にご不便をおかかしないようにと考えております。お客様にご不便をお掛けしますことをお詫びいたしますとともに。引き続きポルシェ車おご愛顧いただきますようにお願い申し上げます。 敬具

and here is an image with very rough translations in the margins:

50785562.png

Edited by greg0d

• Admin

Here is the Google Translate version

Dear Customer, Inc. PorscheImportant Notice about the car (for the intermediate shaft)GreetingsI would be happy with your health and prosperity of our increasingly nowadays.You will love the car Porsche patronage, Thank you.We will contact you in order to maintain a high level of quality of your car, you ride with confidence.You ー fact this car more than 70 percent of Porsche that has been produced so far, are the world's roads has continued now for your,That is what tells the high quality that we offer. Porsche is not just a car excellence,I am a car you can enjoy the pleasure of a long ride.In order to maintain quality standards such a long period of time, regardless of the age of the vehicle manufacturing, the quality in PorscheWe continuously evaluate the information about. In these ongoing validation, "Boxster" and "911" CompanyIntermediate (model years 2001-2005 made before February 21, 2005 after the date of May 04, 2001)It has come to our attention that there is a case that the shaft portion, damage occurs in the course of your use.According to our records, the customer will be applicable to the above-mentioned range.I considered in our study, it is assumed possibility of inconvenience in this matter extends to future customers is low.However, as you will ride with confidence to the future Porsche vehicles, the Company and the above findingsThe correspondence that might be necessary, we've decided to inform the customer.The customer is placed in (1) is to minimize the risk of damage to the intermediate shaft,Thank you to so that you will be paying attention to the following symptoms immediately.Large engine sound is different engine sound (a) GeneralSubstantial amount of oil leakage (b)Or not © severe engine vibrationWarning light (d) emission control (check engine warning light) is not litRefrain from driving the car immediately, if you have signs of © if the above do not (a), the Porsche near youSo that you will have received an inspection of engine In order to contact the Center to determine the need to measureThank you. Further, when the signs of (d) is equivalent to the Porsche center near youAs of mind on the operation, emission control warning light illuminated (Check Engine warning light)I would like to ask you to get tested for cause grasp.In order to check if there is an initial indication about the potential failure of your vehicle engine (2),Contact us on, we inspected the engine Porsche center near you as soon as possible,I would like to ask you if there is a need to repair.We will carry out inspections at no charge engine (1) and (2) above. Result of the inspection, the intermediateIf you need to repair the shaft, we have carried out the repair free of charge as well.I have considered the above measures, the Company and so as not to inconvenience our customers Okaka.We apologize for that, along with the inconvenience to our customers.I would like to ask your car so that you will be Porsche continued patronage. Best regards
  • Upvote 1

Interesting letter.

A correction that they would probably not replace an intermediate shaft since that requires total engine tear down. If they were to replace the shaft (since the bearing is not available separate from the shaft directly from Porsche), then they would probably just replace the engine (official sanctioned replacement procedure). In addition, rebuilt M96/97 engines from Porsche made after 2005 do not have a serviceable bearing, the entire engine must be completely dismantled, and again - something they wouldn't do at a dealer.

At best, a dealer might replace the bearing flange and seal (official procedure), which doesn't really address the core issue.

There are some dealers in the states who perform aftermarket retrofits using LNE's hybrid bearing, but I'm not sure if that is yet a recognized "fix" by Porsche.

The irony here is that Porsche doesn't really have the "real solution", which is a standard (non-ball) plain pressure fed oiled bearing.

And it just so happens a few very bright chaps in the states have a patent pending on such a device!

Edited by logray

• Moderators
Interesting letter.

A correction that they would probably not replace an intermediate shaft since that requires total engine tear down. If they were to replace the shaft (since the bearing is not available separate from the shaft directly from Porsche), then they would probably just replace the engine (official sanctioned replacement procedure). In addition, rebuilt M96/97 engines from Porsche made after 2005 do not have a serviceable bearing, the entire engine must be completely dismantled, and again - something they wouldn't do at a dealer.

At best, a dealer might replace the bearing flange and seal (official procedure), which doesn't really address the core issue.

There are some dealers in the states who perform aftermarket retrofits using LNE's hybrid bearing, but I'm not sure if that is yet a recognized "fix" by Porsche.

The irony here is that Porsche doesn't really have the "real solution", which is a standard (non-ball) plain pressure fed oiled bearing.

And it just so happens a few very bright chaps in the states have a patent pending on such a device!

Actually, the “official” PCNA position remains that you cannot replace any IMS bearing without splitting the cases……..

What intrigues me is that all “official” letters from Porsche I have ever seen always reference the authority issuing the notification (Porsche Cars, Porsche Cars North America, etc.) somewhere within the body of the text; this one does not.

LOL, yep JFP, we're saying the same thing, I just used a few more words. :)

Also interesting to note the phone number on the letter does match one listed on Porsche.com's website...

http://www.porsche.com/japan/jp/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/emergencyservice

0120-846-911

Edited by logray

What intrigues me is that all “official” letters from Porsche I have ever seen always reference the authority issuing the notification (Porsche Cars, Porsche Cars North America, etc.) somewhere within the body of the text; this one does not.

the letter is written in a typical Japanese business letter format and Porsche Japan is used in the body of the letter as well as at the top right corner.

LOL, yep JFP, we're saying the same thing, I just used a few more words. :)

Also interesting to note the phone number on the letter does match one listed on Porsche.com's website...

http://www.porsche.com/japan/jp/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/emergencyservice

0120-846-911

the phone number in the letter corresponds with Porsche Japan's customer care center.

my car has been to the dealer and the contents of the letter confirmed with them.

Would you mind telling us what the dealer found with your car? I hope for you it is good news! Thanks for posting the letter.

Unfortunately, all they did was a cursory inspection. According to the letter, I have to wait until the bearing fails before they will fix anything, at which time the repairs will be done at no cost.

I am still mulling over whether or not to do a preventative bearing replacement with the aftermarket bearing. It might be worth it to avoid the hassle of an engine failure.

• Moderators
...What intrigues me is that all “official” letters from Porsche I have ever seen always reference the authority issuing the notification (Porsche Cars, Porsche Cars North America, etc.) somewhere within the body of the text; this one does not.
the letter is written in a typical Japanese business letter format and Porsche Japan is used in the body of the letter as well as at the top right corner.
LOL, yep JFP, we're saying the same thing, I just used a few more words. :) Also interesting to note the phone number on the letter does match one listed on Porsche.com's website... http://www.porsche.com/japan/jp/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/emergencyservice 0120-846-911
the phone number in the letter corresponds with Porsche Japan's customer care center. my car has been to the dealer and the contents of the letter confirmed with them.

I see the use of Porsche Japan on the letter head, but could you highlight where it appears in the text? Perhaps I missed it.........

I see the use of Porsche Japan on the letter head, but could you highlight where it appears in the text? Perhaps I missed it.........

it's an understandable miss. in the body of the letter porsche japan is referred to as "当社" which is the standard and polite way to refer to one's company.

Greg; I get from this letter that this effects both Boxster,s and 911,s built from 04 May 2001 to 21 Feb 2005. Do you read it that way?If so, this seems to leave out the early built 996s, ie, the 99s to the 01s inclusive. Could it be related to the fact that these early M96s were produced with the double row IMS bearings (longer lasting) and that this letter only relates to the M96 engines which feature a single row bearing?Thanks!Martin

• 3 weeks later...

I just had major engine failure on the 21st of Dec, 2012. I have the car at an independent auto shop but they haven't even looked at it except bump the the starter (with key) to verify the sound I described to them and declared I need a new engine. ($20K). I'm going to have it towed to the dealer and see what they say. I was going to have the IMS bearing changed out on the 3rd of Jan, 2013 but my engine failed before that. I have 67434 miles on the car and it's a 2003 C4S. I think Porsche should pick up the tab for the repairs because they are aware of the IMS bearing issue and did nothing to rectify the situation via recall or such. Any ideas or suggestions would really be appreciated.

• Moderators

As your car is well out of warranty, the dealer will probably not see their way clear to replace the engine unless they do it under "goodwill", which is completely discretionary on their part. Some owners have been able to extract limited concessions on an IMS failure, usually in the form of some cost sharing formula, but this approach is not always common in these cases.

If you can approach your dealer in a conciliatory manner, rather than an adversarial approach, you may be able to reach a mutually acceptable understanding on the issue; but history has demonstrated that opening with threats of legal action have typically led nowhere.

Wardhog, man that is awful. I have the exact same car but with 56,000 miles. I too was considering doing the IMSB myself at an upcoming clutch change. Did you have any symptoms at all before failure? Leaks, odd noises, etc? Please post more info and/or pics if you have anything. I know it sucks but maybe others can learn something from you.