Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Magnetic oil drain plug dilemma ?

Before I do my next oil change I want to get a magnetic oil drain plug. Of course there is the one by L&N engineering, but after further research I was told about the Dimple magnetic oil drain plug which by all accounts is the BEST !

What I need to know,is what exactly is the actual measurements of the drain plug in my 2002 911/996 Carrera 2 ? When ordering they ask for the measurements, can anyone help me with this ? Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to which manufacturer ? After watching several videos, the Dimple brand really impressed me. One writer actually said beware of the magnetic plug,as after a lot of metal gets on there, a large bit could come off and do some serious damage ? The "Dimple plug is suppose to be the strongest, any input or suggestions, and whats the size of the one in there ? Thanks a lot Dave.

• Moderators

Buy the LN magnetic drain plug, it is very well made and does an excellent job picking up any ferrous debris in the engine. It is also an excellent way to check for pending problems when doing an oil change. We install a lot of these; they are well worth the nominal cost................

The "Dimple" unit is also over priced.

Edited by JFP in PA

I purchased the LN magnetic drain plug. Works perfect. Buy it. Really? You would buy something from a company that doesn't even have the correct measurements and they ask you for them? I would avoid that vendor like the plague. Just my two cents....

• Like 1

There is only so much a drain plug can do. I had a stripped drain plug which is why I bought the LN model with the larger allen size, the magnet was just a minor bonus. In my opinion, the better gauge is cutting your oil filter open to see what debris is in it.

It is a game of statistics where more oil is going through the filter vs. the random fleck that happens to pass by and get captured by the drain plug. If you find chunks of metal on a magnetic plug, it may already be too late but at least you know. Having a stronger magnet may help in capturing the the random metal flake that would have gotten away but don't expect it to suck all the metal out of your oil.

Your correct XMAC, and because the "Dimple Plug" supposedly has such a powerful magnet,its recommended. Check out heir web site on this link, or just google: dimple oil drain plug } http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/

And the one for Porsche} http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/porsche.php

Edited by britdave

• Moderators

Your correct XMAC, and because the "Dimple Plug" supposedly has such a powerful magnet,its recommended. Check out heir web site on this link, or just google: dimple oil drain plug } http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/

And the one for Porsche} http://www.drainplug...com/porsche.php

I'd still suggest the LN, it also uses a very powerful Neodymium magnet that actually makes it had to pull off a ferrous surface like the side of tool box. More than strong enough, and still way cheaper than the Dimple unit...............

This is what we have oil filters for. There is nothing a magnetic drain plug would pick up that the filter wouldn't stop. It is trivially easy to check for metal particles in the filter when you change your oil. And if you want to be super anal you can check for sediment in the drained oil. To make things worse, many of the drain plugs (LN, for example) use a harder-than-stock metal for the threads, which is exactly what you don't want. The material on the stock part is deliberately soft so that any misthreading will sacrifice the $1 drain plug and not the hundreds-of-$ drain pan.

Hence, all magnetic drain plugs are a worse complete waste of money; they are a risk. I have never heard of a single credible unbiased report that suggests otherwise. Most positive reviews are from people who profit from their sale, people who want to justify a purchase they've already made, or people parroting those other people.

Caveat emptor.

Buy the LN magnetic drain plug, it is very well made and does an excellent job picking up any ferrous debris in the engine. It is also an excellent way to check for pending problems when doing an oil change. We install a lot of these; they are well worth the nominal cost................

The "Dimple" unit is also over priced.

This is what we have oil filters for. There is nothing a magnetic drain plug would pick up that the filter wouldn't stop. It is trivially easy to check for metal particles in the filter when you change your oil. And if you want to be super anal you can check for sediment in the drained oil. To make things worse, many of the drain plugs (LN, for example) use a harder-than-stock metal for the threads, which is exactly what you don't want. The material on the stock part is deliberately soft so that any misthreading will sacrifice the $1 drain plug and not the hundreds-of-$ drain pan.

Hence, all magnetic drain plugs are a worse complete waste of money; they are a risk. I have never heard of a single credible unbiased report that suggests otherwise. Most positive reviews are from people who profit from their sale, people who want to justify a purchase they've already made, or people parroting those other people.

Caveat emptor.

Sorry, Stefan, but I'm going with JFP's advice on this one.

Caveat emptor.

WOW ! this guy has a good point ! But why are some guys condoning the use of the magnetic drain plug, now I'm REALLY confused ???

• Moderators

Simple: Some of us recognize why many engine builders install them, why they are found in applications as diverse as air compressors and jet aircraft; while others like to believe that anything not created by the OEM has to be a commercially motivated fraud perpetrated on the ignorant, unwashed masses to separate them from their money. This second group sometimes also has a publically well-documented axe to grind with the manufacturer that makes them................

Edited by JFP in PA

1) I am making very specific technical (non-personal) points which have not been refuted.

2) I discourage the use of all magnetic drain plugs, not just from some manufacturer

3) I do not and never had an axe to grind with either of these two manufacturers

4) Your points are based solely on fallacies (ad hominem attack, irrelevant authority, appeal to spite, appeal to fear)

5) Having a bias does not mean you're wrong. But it does mean that you have a motive for believing/reporting inaccurate or incorrect information.

--

If anyone is interested in understanding more about why JFP's arguments are invalid, here is an industry-standard paper which describes why every point he has just made is fallacious (http://records.viu.ca/www/ipp/pdf/42_fallacies.pdf).

I'd be happy to discuss the technical merits since this conversation is not about people but about cars.

• Moderators

3) I do not and never had an axe to grind with either of these two manufacturers

Excuse me Stefan (or should I say "Boxterra"), it is not a personal attack (your favorite defensive claim when anyone disagrees with you or disproves your point), but a "full disclosure" statement of fact that can be searched out by anyone so interested. You have gone at it, hammer and tong, with both Jake Raby and Charles Navarro over just about every product they make, as well as anyone else that thinks they might have an interesting idea (including the magnetic drain plugs), over on the old Porsche Pete's Boxster Board as well as the forum you moderate (Pedro's Board). Considering the internet records of these exchanges, I think you should be careful about calling anyone's arguments "fallacious", particularly when you have installed one the LN products you are most publicly dismissive of in the engine in your own car............

Edited by JFP in PA

Your comments are rife with incorrect information but since it is completely devoid of relevance I don't need to address any of it.

With regard to "incorrect information", are you a.k.a. "Boxterra"? Simple 'yes' or 'no' question. Please clarify. Thanks!

Maybe we need to get back to the OP's issue - I want a magnetic drain plug. Seems like the debate on whether they actually do something, or not, could be debated ad infinitum. The reason I posted earlier about the LN product being a good choice is that having done several oil changes and stripping out the OE aluminum drain plug almost every single time (replacing with a new one every time), I simply felt there must be a better drain plug. The LN drain plug with the larger hex size and made of hardened material works perfectly and is far superior to the original. I would have bought it with or without the magnet. I figure the magnet is just a bonus and if it does catch something then all the better. There may be other drain plug alternatives out there, but for me the choice of the LN drain plug has proven to be an excellent choice.

I also installed the LN oil filter adapter plate and now use a spin on oil filter cartridge. Also works great. My oil/filter changes are really easy now without any drama.

Edited by DBJoe996
  • Upvote 1

• Moderators

Your comments are rife with incorrect information but since it is completely devoid of relevance I don't need to address any of it.

With regard to "incorrect information", are you a.k.a. "Boxterra"? Simple 'yes' or 'no' question. Please clarify. Thanks!

Yes, he is..................

• Admin