Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

WOW!!!! Those are the real McCoys and dirt CHEAP. $164 for set of four! Including the valve stems! I keep looking for the catch. When I ordered snow tires and wheels from Tire Rack they sold me the TPMS sensors for $350 and I thought that was a great deal. From Porsche over $600 not to mention the install charge. Tire rack installed them for nothing when they mounted the tires. What do you expect from a company that will sell you a $10 oil filter for $30.

The TPMS sensors on my car are the originals and now over 6 years old. As I noted on the Tire help thead I'm about to mount new tires and will need to replace the TPMS sensors. I ordered a set from OEWheels and will report back with the results about one month from now.

Edited by Mijostyn

I got the sensors in the mail yesterday. Great service. There is no indication on the packaging that these sensors were programmed for my car. The instuctions mention programming with a special device. The online instructions mention just the usual learning routine on the car's computer. I suspect this is all that is required but I will call OEWheels tomorrow to varify this. Getting the sensors and tires mounted and on the car to find out they do not work would be an ultimate bummer.

Yes Lyn, I do believe you can get aftermarket TPMS computers. But, the computer/receiver unit will have to be mounted and powered like a small Nav unit and you have to get the transmitters mounted in your wheels which means all wheels off, breaking all the beads and rebalancing all wheels. Any tire shop could do it.

Having those tire pressures in your face all the time is very comforting. You don't have to bend many rims on under pressured tires to make this worth while. It will be easiest to do this the next time you have to mount new tires then it would be a small add on charge to mount the transmitters like $15.

The government mandated TPMS on all cars starting in 2006 I believe. Their motive was to maintain the highest milage possible for the fleet.

OE Wheels did confirm that all you have to do is mount the sensors and drive off.

Edited by Mijostyn

Let us know how it goes Mijostyn once you get them mounted and you actually just drive off to activate them. For the price, it seems pretty reasonable. Mine have never been replaced (08C2S) and i have heard they may last up to 6 years or more before being replaced. I too like the TPMS monitoring system with just a flick of the wrist to see where you are at on pressure. I've heard of some people removing them but I don't like that idea for more than one reason..

0356 I understand they can last up to 7 years. But, if you are changing tires somewhere after 6 years you might as well swap them out while you have bare rims.

I'm not sure but, I think it is actually illegal to defeat the TPMS function.

• 2 weeks later...

0356kid,

Not yet. I have the sensors and new Pilot Super Sports but I still have a 32nd left on the old tires before I swap out. Might as well get the most out of expensive rubber. They are suppose to corner best when they are almost worn out. WEEEE!

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday AM at the crack of dawn I'm going to a local parking lot that is used for autocross. All the markings are still there. My personal record is 1:58. Now that I am down to racing slicks and have a brand new left rear wheel bearing we are going for broke. I finally have a use for that Speed Chrono timer. After I set the record the old girl gets her new sneakers and TPMS sensors.

My 2001 996 did not have a TPMS system option so I purchased a WASP system for $229.00 a while back and have been very pleased, It is very accurate and has been flawless. The system I purchased supports 5 wheels so the spare can be monitored also. The WASP system sensors are in their valve stem cap. No need to dismount tires and remount for sensor battery change. So far, I have only had one sensor fail (may have been 2 bad battery) but WASP replaced it for the cost of FedEx shipping. I have the receiver unit hard wired and is wedged in the little shelf under the steering column where the Porsche manual is normally stored.

The new TPMS sensors work great. In comparing them to the German units they are a little smaller and lighter. The only thing I like better on the german ones is the little tabs on the bottom of the sides. They sit down on the inside surface of the rim and keep the things from rocking during the install. That is about it.

post-89070-0-83068200-1375646369_thumb.j This is the old German unit. Notice the tabs. The Chinese version is just flat.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm not too swift on this subject, so be patient and see if you can make this simple enough so that I can understand it. I have a 2006 C2 without TPMS and would like to incorporate it. I understand that one needs sensors and I get that they are installed in the wheels. That's the nuts and bolts part. What I don't understand is how to develop the electronic interface between the sensors and the on board computer. Is that a simple turn it on with a Durametric unit, or is it more complex that that????

Thx, Lyn

• Moderators

OK, I'm not too swift on this subject, so be patient and see if you can make this simple enough so that I can understand it. I have a 2006 C2 without TPMS and would like to incorporate it. I understand that one needs sensors and I get that they are installed in the wheels. That's the nuts and bolts part. What I don't understand is how to develop the electronic interface between the sensors and the on board computer. Is that a simple turn it on with a Durametric unit, or is it more complex that that????

Thx, Lyn

On an 2006 car, it was an option, so it will take more than just activation; along with the tire sensors, you are going to need the receiver module which can be pricey. You may want to also look at aftermarket systems, which are considerably cheaper.

• 1 month later...

Interesting note for those who have cars with a CPO warranty. My TPMS light just came on and the tire pressure checked manually was fine. Stopped by my local independent shop,and the computer said my left front sensor was "gone". Considered buying all 4 replacements but then the owner said "check with your local dealer as they may be covered under your CPO". Called and sure enought they are covered so he saved me a nice amount of money.