Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Used 99 Boxster 41K miles

Hi all, new to the forum and to Porsche. Have spent a lot of time looking at all the maintenance items and potential issues so feel well informed.

I am looking at a 99 with 42K miles. Had a PPI today and the findings were:

Both valve covers are leaking but not bad enough to do right now

Oil filler tube seal leaking

Left window regulator needs replacing

Needs new fuel cap

Visor mirror broken

Tires are worn out.

The lot is asking 10,995, blur book is about $10,200. Given the repairs is $8500 a fair offer?

Thanks for the input

Making a list:

Redo valve covers:  $500 (just a guess)

Fill tube seal: $300 (just a guess)

Window regulator replacement: $500-$600 @ dealer, $100/used-$300/new oem + 3 hrs work on your time

Fuel cap: $30 (from recycler)

Visor mirror: $30 (from recycler)

New tires: $150-$180 each, installed/balanced, (assuming you get reasonable tires for the car), $600-$800

Total (approximately): least expensive: ~$1.6K, most expensive: 2.2K

Offering $8K + 2.2K repairs = 10.2K (right at blue book)

Others can clarify the valve cover and oil filler tube repairs, as mine are guesses

If you plan on having a independent garage do all the work, I'd offer 7.5K-8K

If you plan on doing the window regulator (good video online) 8K

If you plan on taking to porsche dealer for repairs, ...ummm, lower than 7.5 K...

My position is to offer a lower but still reasonable number because one can always work up....

Oil OK? if not, add ~$100  ( 9 quarts mobil 1 + filter+garage labor).

Are you aware of the IMS bearing failure issue?  (a negotiating point).

Any issues with convertable top operation?   Motors+shafts+transmissions are weak spot, a real PITA to fix (IMHO), and expensive, at least $1200 if you have to redo the whole system.

Good luck!

J

Edited by boxster_nut

Thanks for the reply! Yes I am aware of the IMS bearing-I had him pull the oil filter and he cut it in half-he said no evidence of metal, listened with the stethoscope. The inspector is Porsche Master mechanic with 12 years of dealer experience and was very knowledgable. Top works perfect, there is a small crease in the front edge of the hood. I turn wrench on my Audi and BMW but I understand the valve covers are a PITA.

Thanks!

I agree with most of what "nut" said and maybe can provide some more input.  If seller has maintenance records, you should be able to see if the IMS issue was previously dealt with before running into problems.  As the original owner on my 2000, they performed that service under warranty pretty early on to avoid future problems.

Valve covers isn't something I've done yet on my Boxster.  Most people recommend dropping the engine for that or just living with it.  It can be done in the car, but I hear it is a pain.  You might see if it is just the spark plug tubes that need replacing...those are pretty simple to do and it is probably due for a spark plug service anyway unless it has been done recently.  There would be a pretty big cost in doing the valve covers at a shop, but if you DIY then it's just your time and not a lot of expense.  I've done them on my BMWs and it isn't a fun job, but doable for sure.

I just did the window regulator last week.  I got a $150 part from rmeuropean.  It was a reasonable job and a few hours of my time.

I have replaced oil fill tube on mine and it was pretty straightforward for the "upper" portion.  It just snaps into place and it resolved my leak, so I didn't do the lower portion which appeared to be more effort to get to.  The parts were pretty cheap as I recall, less that $50 each, so less than $100 total and even that may be a stretch.

Fuel cap is $12.

The visor mirrors frequently break.  I went through at least two on both sides while under warranty and they were replaced for free.  Since my warranty has long run out, both of mine are broken again.  Depending on what is broken, you can just get the inserts, otherwise it's about $100 for each one.  I have seen some on ebay for $50.

Tires are a big expense, I always get good ones, though, Z-rated Michelin or Pirellis.  Rears run $300+ea and fronts usually $200+ea, so easily $1000 for all four.  Many times the fronts don't need to be done, though, so just take another look at those before replacing...assuming you get the car.

I also wrench on BMW's so many things are similar between the makes.  Boxster access is usually a lot more cramped, but it is a fun car to work on, and they really made a lot of things very simple to service compared to the equivalent job on the BMWs.

Good luck with your offer...let us know how it goes!

CRwarren

If the dealer did replace the IMS proactively as a preventative maintenance item, it would be the first I've heard and I've been following this issue for at least 8 years.   I suspect they did the RMS which is nothing but a seal.  The RMS part was replaced with a better part a few years after the M96 engine's introduction.   Only very recently has Porsche admitted that the IMS could be replaced without swapping the block.  For years, the only Porsche repair was to exchange a block and ship the bad one bad to the factory.

The '99 does not have the worst of the IMS bearings, the only concern I'd have on a '99 with 41k is the infrequent use and I'd be wanting to see meticulous maintenance records.  It is, after all, a 16 year old car. And they don't often sell for 5 figures.

He was convinced and claimed he had 4 other buyers. I said good luck, especially with the hood damage. Looking at a 2001 S with 66K - good service records by Porsched dealers. 12K - any risks with the 01? I'm sure the single row IMS bearing is a concern

Thanks!

mikefocke, interesting comment and I know you follow these issues closely.  I could be confused or may have been mislead.  I don't have the service records on me, but in my electronic log I have it noted as "rear main seal and intermediate shaft leaking, both replaced."  It has been a while since I revisited the record, but I remember it being very vague.  I do remember, though, the service advisor saying "you won't have to worry about that IMS bearing now."  Since then and after years of reading about the IMS bearing issue, I always believed mine had been resolved.  But maybe not?  Service bill was $4,700 in 2001, covered under warranty.  I might have to refresh my memory on the IMS bearing symptoms as I'm nearing 99,000mi.

covertaxn, sorry it didn't work out, that seems like a high price to pay for a '99 with issues.

CR I hope your memory is right. They may have just sealed the cover over the IMS without doing the bearing. To get at both RMS and IMS, the trans is removed so really only 2-3 hours of labor difference and if you were having other work done the bill from a dealer could be high especially if Porsche was paying.

overtaxn: I like the sound of the 2000 S at $12k. I sold a 68k '01S 3 years ago for $13.5k so that is about the right price and the records helps it. Tires, rear window are the obvious $1k items.  A PPI would reveal more once you have gotten a look at the obvious.

• Moderators

Thanks-01 had the weak IMS bearings correct? Even the S model?

2000-2001 was a transitional period where the car could have either a single or dual row bearing; the dual row was stronger, but still failed, just not in as large number as the single rows did.

If you consider the failure of a part at 1% a serious issue, then you replace the dual row. At 10% or more, the single row makes it easier to spend the money.  How many of us replace proactively every part that has a ten year 1% failure rate (AOS and water pump every 30k miles for example)?  Your car, your money, your choice.

The problem with the transitional years is you can't tell which you have without the work/expense of transmission removal. Maybe to buy a car with a clapped out clutch so you can use that to get a discount on the purchase? Then replace the clutch and, once the trans is off,  take a look at the IMS exterior and figure out if you want to go in and replace the bearing.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of an S over a BASE and $12,000 seems like a pretty good deal for the right car.  Loved my '98 BASE but I would have preferred an S.

PAST:
1998 Boxster (R.I.P.)

Just to clarify for a noob on the IMSB.

The bearing itself is a minor part of the total issue. It is the collateral damage from a failing IMSB that can damage the engine beyond economical repair.

I have a 2001 S in which this almost happened - possibly because of incorrect installation of the new ceramic LN IMSB by the P.O.I say "possibly" because how can you know with total certainty?There are so many ways to screw-up an IMSB install.

Once debris from a failing IMSB gets distributed in the engine,It is impossible to remove all the debris without total tear-down.Some of the oil-ways are extremely small. Without the total teardown and premptive rebuild, it is unlikely a suspect engine will last long. If the engine had an LN filter kit fitted prior to the problem,the engine may survive. Mine did (because of the LN filter?)but it was a very ,very expensive and comprehensive repair that eventually exceeded the value of the car because of my incidental upgrades .

The clue to the collateral damage(?) was c/s bearing failure within less than 1000 miles of the IMSB replacement.

YEMV -I hope !