Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New 996 owner maint. questions

Okay, so I have read through the DIY's. Everyone has a different outlook on witch olis / trans oil / spark plugs to use. So I am asking for just that a response with the Preferred products you think are the best. I am in S. Texas so its hot so wasn't sure on 10w 40 or 20w 50 engine oil, and was really looking for just preferences on the others. Any responses will be greatly appreciated. BTW I have a 2000- 996 manual with 65000 miles.

Engine oil / maker - ?

Oil filter / maker?

Tans axle oil / maker ?

Spark plug / maker ?

Edited by jerry7297

• Admin

I have a MY99 Carrera - 6 speed and this is what I use:

Engine oil / maker - Mobil1 0W-40 or 5W-40

Oil filter / maker - Porsche factory

Transaxle oil / maker - Mobil (Mobilube PTX) 75W-90

Spark plug / maker - Beru or Bosch 14FRG 6KQU

The one I would caution you on is the transmission/transaxle oil - lots of issue with non-Porsche recommended brands. I would definitely stick with Porsche approved transmission/transaxle oils.

On August 4, 2016 at 0:40 PM, jerry7297 said:

No issues with the Mahle oil filter? Most say they are using a Porsche one? Redline is some good stuff. I replaced the trans oil in my 2010 Camaro with Redline, worked out great.

Nope, knock on wood, Mahle filter seems to do the job.  Car is serviced by very good local indie.  Never heard of problems with using Mahle filters.  I thought Mahle was the Porsche branded filter.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, jerry7297 said:

Huh I was wondering if the spin on oil filters were worth it or not... Has anyone had success with these?

You might say we have had good results; I have many of my customers on them for several years now with excellent performance. I also use them on my personal fleet as well.  One additional benefit ( amongst many) is that you can use a FilterMag with the spin on, so that every drop of oil passes through a strong magnetic field on every pass.

• Upvote 1

One reason for going with the spin-on filter adapter is eliminating the bypass.  The OE filter canister has a bypass.  When you use the filter adapter and regular spin-on oil filter as recommended, that means 100% of your oil is going through the filter all the time.  Have heard the OE filter bypass spring deteriorates over time and with heat cycles and then the canister filter doesn't sit right, which means oil is not being filtered.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, jerry7297 said:

Awesome feedback, looks like I will be getting this. Thank you for the info. Are the ones in the link above the preferred or are there other options? 

LN make the nicest ones that I have seen, and we have never had any problems with their products.

Can someone tell me if the Bosch 7969 spark plug will be okay on my 2000 911 3.4 engine. This is what I ordered, the part number doesn't match up with the Bosch FGR5KQEO which is what I was trying to get. That pulls up as a Bosch 7413 after I did some research. Should I order new ones or will the 7969's work???