Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cracked cylinder head getting repaired & improved

Back in May I found the dreaded oil-in-coolant, followed by coolant-in oil. I got the engine out of the car and the heads off, and away they went to Len Hoffman in Georgia. He confirmed yesterday that I've got a crack in the 1-3 head. He's doing the repair along  with some other maintenance items and port/polish. The lifters and fuel injectors are also away for service. I'm aiming to have my 996 back on the road in the spring, running better than brand new with a bit more umph from the head work. Anyone else had work like this done? Just wondering what to be looking forward to.

• Moderators

You need to tread carefully when modifying the ports on these heads.  Cleaning up and port matching is always useful, but beyond that is the realm that requires considerable experience, expertise, and some significant equipment, like a cylinder head  flow bench.  When most people think of head porting, they envision enlarging the ports and runners, and then buffing them to a mirror like finish; only problem is that bigger is not always better in this area, and quite often the best final runner finish is somewhat textured.  Unfortunately, the only way to determine what is optimum is to basically ruin a set or two of heads testing various configurations and then verifying the actual flow improvement on the flow bench at various cam lifts to determine what is going to allow the heads to move the most air.  Along the way, this process will also identify when the modifications have gone "over center" and the flow performance starts to drop off, which would require welding up the heads and starting over.  Once the desired combination is identified, its technical specs are then fed to a CNC machine so that the profile can be reproduced accurately on customer's heads whenever it is needed.

I know Len's shop has done a lot of work in this area on air cooled engines, so I would suspect he also has some background with the water cooled as well.

Your in good hands with Len. He did my heads last year due to a 1-3 crack. I can't tell you about the added umph just from the head work since I also sent my cases LN Engineering to go from the 3.4 to 3.8. But I can tell you he thinks the 996 heads are almost piece of art and only does minor grinds. You'll see no smooth, polished ports. Porsche's like turbulent air. Hope you have fun with your build.

• 3 weeks later...