Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I'm new to Renntech and hopefully I follow the decorum correctly.  If not I apologize.  Anyway, I have a 2000 Boxster S.  It has been sputtering on take off and gave codes that suggested the MAF was out.  I disconnected the MAF wiring and it greatly improved the performance.  I ordered a MAF and by the time it came in I believe my car went into Limp Mode.  I installed the new MAF and cleaned the throttle body but it still acts like it is in limp mode.  I also changed the spark plugs hoping this would help.  The only code I'm getting off it now is P1118 and also the codes for missing on cylinders 2 and 3.  Is it possible that is simply still in limp mode?  If so is there a way for me to reset it?     

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

5 minutes ago, FStallcup said:

I'm new to Renntech and hopefully I follow the decorum correctly.  If not I apologize.  Anyway, I have a 2000 Boxster S.  It has been sputtering on take off and gave codes that suggested the MAF was out.  I disconnected the MAF wiring and it greatly improved the performance.  I ordered a MAF and by the time it came in I believe my car went into Limp Mode.  I installed the new MAF and cleaned the throttle body but it still acts like it is in limp mode.  I also changed the spark plugs hoping this would help.  The only code I'm getting off it now is P1118 and also the codes for missing on cylinders 2 and 3.  Is it possible that is simply still in limp mode?  If so is there a way for me to reset it?     

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

Some of the replacement MAF units require some reprogramming using either a PST II or PIWIS system in order to work correctly.

19 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

Some of the replacement MAF units require some reprogramming using either a PST II or PIWIS system in order to work correctly.

Thanks for your response.  I replaced the MAF with the one ending in 125.01.  The guy at Porsche of Nashville said it would not need to be programmed.  Just plug in and go.

Do you have the old MAF? Was it a -124 or a -125? Because there are two MAFs for the 2000 model year depending on the chassis number. The info I had for the -124 (the one that needs the reflash if any -125 is substituted) is:

"Early 2000 (1/31/2000)

(thru Boxster 2.7L Chassis #98 6YS 62 0414 and #98 0YU 62 5099)
(thru Boxster S 3.2L Chassis #98 0YS 66 0257 and #98 3YU 66 2413)"

Mine is 98 0YU 66 2192

I installed the 125 as recommended by Porsche of Nashville.  I spoke with a Porsche repair shop earlier this morning.  He doesn't believe it's limp mode.  Whatever the reason I've got cylinders 2&3 misfiring. It doesn't correct it when I disconnect the wiring from the MAF.

The codes I am getting are:

P1118

P0300

P0303

P0302

I switched the spark plug coils in 2 and 3 with 5 and 6 to see if the problem moved with it.  Just got back from getting the codes.  Now it is giving me:

P0302

P0303

P0304

P0305

P0306

...and no longer getting P1118

Edited by FStallcup
Update

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Ronnie38
      MY2001 911C4 CAB : Had slippage in 3rd when making a 90 degree turn as it shifted into 3 underpower. Ah I though low fluid so I changed the filter and the oil yes Porsche type. Now if I drove it right (go like a Porsche) and so 3, 4th then flashing indicator and limp mode. Took it to an Indy Porsche mechanic, replaced valve body input output sensors, worked on it for 3 months gave back no charge couldn't fix it. So I have been driving it in manual shifting at 2200 RPM works fine if I go to 2700 RPM bingo limp mode. The P0717 just; showed up today as I pushed it.
      The P0717 on line checking said the control module or ground fault. Anyone out there can help? Don't want to throw money at it and buy a control module.
    • By boxster_nut
      vintage 1997 Boxster....
      Shortly after I changed the oil, the revolutions at idle began to oscillate between 300 rpm to about 1200 rpm.  Reading various forums identified the most common problem is a dirty throttle body, possibly the Oil Air Separator (OAS). Given the car has 34K miles and cleaning the TB has never been done, I figured it was time.  The throttle body was indeed filthy with a very light oil-like coating, and same for the plenum to the cylinders.  Having seen pictures of the effects of a bad oil separator, I figured mine was ok and what I observed was just buildup of 34K miles.
      After a through cleaning I reassembled the TB and remounted it (what a PITA that was because each side of the 'T' plenum would not line up with their respective intake manifold).  What a struggle.
      Finally got it beat into submission and connected the vacuum lines and this is where I need some help. Standing behind the engine, on the extreme RHS there is a vacuum line with what looks like a check valve that goes into the RHS plenum.  Got that inserted although is seems rather loose.
      Now, on the LHS  at the rear, when I had removed the TB, I noticed a very small (less the 1/8" OD), thin black hose about 6" long that was adjacent to the hydraulic fluid reservoir - I don't recall if I pulled this out of the  'T' plenum or where is should be plugged.
      Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Perhaps a drawing showing the vacuum lines attached the the TB plenum?
      The car seems to run OK after the cleaning and I do not notice any  strange behavior.
      Insight much appreciated.
      John

• By Ronnie38
      My 2001 C4 Automatic had what appeared to slip (over rev) when making scarp turns, decided to replace transmission filter and refill, the first run after 10 minuets the transmission went into limp mode (lights on drive selector started to flash) check engine lamp came on (P0734 and P0734) was read. the reason given was input and output ratio wrong for both codes.
      The Durmatic gave no other info. So I proceeded to  order both input and output sensors. Since I couldn't confirm if a shift selonod was bad. Mean while I am in Cal for the holidays I remembered I moved two of the magnets in the pan there were 4 magnets 2 each in the depressions in the rear of the pan I took one each and moved the forward closer to the input and output sensors.
      Anybody out there have any idea besides taking it to the dealer, at 75 bucks for the 5 liters of tranny oil each time I replace something to help me be smarter?
    • By Astarael
      Hello there, this is my first post here and I’m writing because of problem with my boxster.
      Today in the morning I’ve started my 2002 boxster and noticed strange sounds from the engine/ rear side of the car
      It’s a metallic, grinding sound like a loose piece of metal or something like that
      Sound disappears when you press gas and comes back once you loose the pedal, I don’t know if it changes while engine is warm

Also, check engine light shown up yesterday, when I connected my BT OBD2 there was no error code.
      I came with that to workshop also, and they said it’s a catalyst efficiency error.

I’ve had that error code a while ago, I’ve replaced mass air flow meter and check engine light disappeared. 
      I think it might be a problem with maf again because I bought not the cheaper, not the original one, but why are there these strange sounds? I’m worried about this. Could it be catalyst this time? Or again should I replace maf? This time I’ll buy original one.

here are two Videos I made

Also I’m sorry if you can’t understand something, my english is not perfect.
      Thank you for all replies, I hope we will solve that problem together
    • By FStallcup
      I have 2000 Porsche Boxster S that is misfiring on nearly every cylinder. It started with symptoms of a bad MAF; typical sluggish on take off, CEL light with the corresponding code. I would disconnect the wiring from the MAF and it would clear up. I cleaned the MAF and plenum and it ran perfectly for about a day. Ordered a new MAF. By before I had a chance to put the new one in I got a flashing CEL and a massive loss of power. Put in the new MAF. It cleared up some idle issues but the loss of power and flashing CEL is still there. The codes show random misfire and misfire on 2,3,4,5, and 6. I've also changed the spark plugs but it has had no effect.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.