Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

911 C4S

Six speed manual

When driving my recent purchase, the oil pressure gauge reads "5" whenever the tach goes 2500 rpm or above in any gear. This is when it is still warming up or at operating temperature (180), after at least 30 minutes on the road. Needless to say, I've been keeping the car below 2500 as much as I can. At idle, it registers between 2-3 after reaching operating temps.

Last week, I had the Porsche shop remove the oil pan and check it for any detritus during the PPI. It was clean. Then they proceeded to put on a new filter and oil. I've checked the oil level in the morning, and it registers a smidgen over max, however, the computer level always registers a 1 bar over max, whether hot or cold.  Would a faulty oil level sensor affect the oil pressure reading?

I've read the oil pressure sensor can be wonky.   I don't have enough miles in this car to really know it yet. It's, obviously, a bit frustrating to keep this car in check while driving right now, but I'd rather cautious. The owner's manual I have says the oil pressure should be approximately 3-4 bars at 5000rpm at operating temperature. Any thoughts? Or direction to go?

• Like 1

Yes, well known problem and it is your oil pressure sending unit.  Replace it and your problem will be resolved.

No, the oil pressure sensor reading does not affect the oil level sensor.  What is the level on  your dipstick?  One other question, what type and weight oil did they put in?

Edited by DBJoe996

Hi. The level on the dipstick is very, very slightly above the maximum mark.  The oil they put in is Motul 5-40w. So you're saying  the oil level sensor is probably ok. But the oil pressure sensor should be changed out.

By the way, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. This community is very impressive in the short time I've joined. I've gotten info on how to access the serial #  for my radio without removing it from the dash and the code! Thanks again. A donation will be next.

• Like 1

Hi. The level on the dipstick is very, very slightly above the maximum mark.  The oil they put in is Motul 5-40w. So you're saying  the oil level sensor is probably ok. But the oil pressure sensor should be changed out.
By the way, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. This community is very impressive in the short time I've joined. I've gotten info on how to access the serial #  for my radio without removing it from the dash and the code! Thanks again. A donation will be next.

These cars are very sensitive to over fill.

I would drain a very little bit of oil and see what happens.

Even a slight overfill is going to tax your AOS a lot more than a good level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can drain some oil by simply dropping the oil filter and draining the canister.  A lot better than trying to control the flow from the drain plug.  And yes ^^^ these cars are very sensitive to over fill.  Maybe contact the "Porsche shop" that overfilled your oil and ask them to do it. 

Edited by DBJoe996
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took it back to the shop who did the original work. They siphoned about 3/4 of a quart of oil so the level was at maximum. The owner explained about the vagaries of Porsche oil pressure and the car has been GREAT! Love it!

He also said the newer models don't even have drain plugs. He uses the industrial size siphon to suck the dirty engine oil into the barrel. Progress?

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Tonel said:

I took it back to the shop who did the original work. They siphoned about 3/4 of a quart of oil so the level was at maximum. The owner explained about the vagaries of Porsche oil pressure and the car has been GREAT! Love it!

He also said the newer models don't even have drain plugs. He uses the industrial size siphon to suck the dirty engine oil into the barrel. Progress?

The very latest models still have drain plugs, and siphoning oil out of one of these cars is at a minimum tricky, at the worst a disaster.  Do a search for those that had problems siphoning oil out of these cars and you will see what I mean.

And just as a by-the-by, the oil level in these engine's should not be at the max line, but rather one to two lines below when the engine is cold.