Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 996 Carrera 2 coupe 6 speed: driving with a seized A/C compressor

The A/C compressor has seized  and the compressor clutch appears to be disengaged, but sometimes I hear noise coming from the engine compartment and the engine does not run smoothly.  If I stop, turn the engine off and re-start the engine, everything goes back to normal.  This has occurred 3 times in about 100 miles.  Any ideas on what is happening?

Why are you even driving/running the car with the AC compressor seized?  Even though the compressor clutch is disengaged, the clutch compressor bearings are still turning. You need to identify where the "noise"  is coming from.  A long handled screw driver or mechanics stethoscope placed against each turning component, pulley, will narrow down where the noise is coming from.  However, if the compressor is seized, that is more than likely the source.  You run the risk of having the compressor seize entirely and that will kill your serpentine belt.  Fix your AC compressor!

29 minutes ago, DBJoe996 said:

Why are you even driving/running the car with the AC compressor seized?  Even though the compressor clutch is disengaged, the clutch compressor bearings are still turning. You need to identify where the "noise"  is coming from.  A long handled screw driver or mechanics stethoscope placed against each turning component, pulley, will narrow down where the noise is coming from.  However, if the compressor is seized, that is more than likely the source.  You run the risk of having the compressor seize entirely and that will kill your serpentine belt.  Fix your AC compressor!

Thanks for your reply.  The compressor replacement is already scheduled for next week.  I need to drive the car a few miles around here and then I need to drive to the shop that will replace the compressor, which is a few miles away.   I am intrigued by the fact that turning the engine off/re-starting eliminates (at least temporarily) the noise.  I was wondering if other members have experienced the same thing.  Knowing what is going may help to make a determination on whether the car can be driven to the shop or it needs to be towed.

It would help to know what the sound sounds like.  Is it a squeal, thump, roar?  Have you lifted the engine lid and made an inspection?  It could be that the compressor clutch is heating up and dragging, so when you shut down and restart, it re-positions itself temporarily.

12 minutes ago, DBJoe996 said:

It would help to know what the sound sounds like.  Is it a squeal, thump, roar?  Have you lifted the engine lid and made an inspection?  It could be that the compressor clutch is heating up and dragging, so when you shut down and restart, it re-positions itself temporarily.

It is like a roar (kind of...), pretty loud.  I lifted the lid, I could not see anything, mainly because the airbox covers the A/C compressor.  I plan on removing the airbox soon to see if anything has changed after the compressor was initially inspected.

When I re-started the engine, it was immediately after turning it off without time for anything to cool off.